• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

No Excuses!

Staff Member
Then he told him, "A man was giving a large banquet and invited many. "At the time of the banquet, he sent his servant to tell those who were invited, 'Come, because everything is now ready.' "But without exception they all began to make excuses. The first one said to him, 'I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. I ask you to excuse me.' Luke 14:16-18 CSB

Though generations of American children have been told they could grow up to be president, that’s really not true. Through the United States’ first 246 years, only 46 men have held the office…and the current national population is around 330 million.

Really, there are many things a guy just can’t do. No matter how hard you flap your arms, you’ll never fly like a bird. Try as you might, you can’t lift a railway locomotive with your bare hands. There’s no shame in saying, “I can’t,” and no need to make excuses.

But there are things we can and should do and should be done—without excuse. That’s especially true in the spiritual realm, where God calls us to salvation, sanctification, and service. Today’s scripture describes the Jewish leaders of Jesus’ day who all offered “reasons” to avoid the Lord’s invitation to follow Him in faith. Let’s avoid their mistake and cheerfully do as Jesus says. When He commands, He also empowers. Our excuses only hinder His blessing.

Prayer: Lord God, please break my tendency to make excuses. Help me to do what You say, right away.