• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

“This Old Man”

Active
There are times when the believer feels something is wrong; and it seems often related to possibly doing something wrong, but we can’t immediately identify the wrongdoing. Well, something is wrong, and it’s always the same thing which is wrong—it’s just the “old man” again (Eph 4:22; Col 3:9)—knocking on the door and asking, “What are you going to do about it?”

It’s always trying to reach us with bad news; but there is never really any bad news, just it making it more difficult for us to be “exhorted” (Heb 10:25). I believe it’s the Enemy using the old man (sin nature), making repeated attempts at interfering with the encouragement of our growth in Christ! Continue to exercise your innocence in the Lord Jesus—and be encouraged!
NC

Active
There are times when the believer feels something is wrong; and it seems often related to possibly doing something wrong, but we can’t immediately identify the wrongdoing. Well, something is wrong, and it’s always the same thing which is wrong—it’s just the “old man” again (Eph 4:22; Col 3:9)—knocking on the door and asking, “What are you going to do about it?”

It’s always trying to reach us with bad news; but there is never really any bad news, just it making it more difficult for us to be “exhorted” (Heb 10:25). I believe it’s the Enemy using the old man (sin nature), making repeated attempts at interfering with the encouragement of our growth in Christ! Continue to exercise your innocence in the Lord Jesus—and be encouraged!
NC
There is something wrong with this. Romans 6:6 says (when you are born again) the old man is dead... 2 Corinthians 5:17 says (when you are born again the Holy Spirit comes inside of you and you are united with Him).....2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is united with the Messiah, he is a new creation — the old has passed; look, what has come is fresh and new!. The old man died and a brand new man was born, a man who is more than a man. He is man and God united into one...a hybrid if you will.
That being the case, we are not wrestling with an old man but devils who tempt....

I find it interesting how Christians seem to find it convenient to take the devil off the hook and let him go scott free

Active
There is something wrong with this. Romans 6:6 says (when you are born again) the old man is dead... 2 Corinthians 5:17 says (when you are born again the Holy Spirit comes inside of you and you are united with Him).....2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is united with the Messiah, he is a new creation — the old has passed; look, what has come is fresh and new!. The old man died and a brand new man was born, a man who is more than a man. He is man and God united into one...a hybrid if you will.
That being the case, we are not wrestling with an old man but devils who tempt....

I find it interesting how Christians seem to find it convenient to take the devil off the hook and let him go scott free
Hi, and appreciate your reply! I believe all the tempting and harassments are from the Enemy (Satan) using the "old man" (sin nature) to delay the believer's spiritual growth, as he knows he cannot do anything to affect our salvation. I also believe that the Spirit uses the "new man" (new nature) to guide and strengthen the believer.

What has "passed away" is not the presence and tempting of the old man, but its "damnation" and "dominating" power (Ro 8:1; 6:14). It can no longer cause us to desire after sin, because we are no longer "in the flesh" (in the sin nature - Ro 8:9); though the sin nature is in us, we are not in it, for God has sanctified us from it (1Co 6:11).