• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Loyal
If you, being a follower of Jesus Christ, were to write a testimony of what difference Jesus Christ has made in your life, what would that say? Surely, each of our testimonies would be as individual as we are, but there should also be a common thread weaved throughout all of them.

The Lord Jesus led me to read Ephesians 2 (Select vv. ESV).

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. Vv. 1-3

One part of this common thread should be that we WERE dead in the trespasses and sins in which we ONCE walked… Notice with me that this is past tense, both positionally and practically, i.e. we are no longer dead in our sins, destined to hell, nor are we any longer enslaved to our sins.

We were dead in our sins, without hope, but then we trusted in Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior of our lives. Thus, we died with Christ to sin and we were resurrected with Christ to newness of life, to be lived to his righteousness. Now, we walk (conduct our lives) according to (in agreement with) the Spirit, and no longer according to our sinful flesh. This is not saying we will never sin again, but that sin should no longer be our master.

When we were dead in our sins, we followed (walked in) the ways of this sinful world, we were under the power of Satan, and we lived in the passions of our flesh. This was our lifestyle. It was what motivated us, drove us, moved us. It was what consumed our energies, thinking and behaving. We were given over to self-pleasure, and we indulged in what our flesh desired.

But, now that we have been saved, by God’s grace, through faith, and we have been born again of the Spirit of God, and set free from sin, we should now be motivated by the Spirit of God, by the Word of God, and we should be passionate about the kingdom of heaven, and that should be what consumes us and what our lives are given over to, not over to the flesh.

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. Vv. 4-7

Another part of this common thread that should be weaved throughout all of our testimonies is that we have been made alive in Christ Jesus, for Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. He didn’t just deliver us out of slavery to sin, but he gave us new lives in him, created to be like God (in his likeness) in true righteousness and holiness. He didn’t die just to save us, but to transform us!

And, this should give us hope! And, the hope is that Jesus Christ gave his lifeblood on that cross not just to forgive us our sins, but to eradicate sin from our lives, i.e. to free us from our chains! Our salvation is not just an escape from hell and the promise of heaven when we die, but it is God freeing us from our prisons and giving us a new lease on life; a new start.

Satan no longer has any power over us. Sin has no power over us. We don’t have to give in to temptation. Jesus has given us the way out, the escape! We just have to take it!! He will empower and strengthen us to resist Satan, to flee temptation, and to live godly and holy lives pleasing to him. So, we don’t have to struggle with sin, regularly giving in to the desires of our flesh.

We can live and walk in victory, not necessarily in absolute sinless perfection, but daily, by the Spirit, we can be putting to death the deeds of the flesh and yielding control of our lives over to the Spirit of God within us. For, God’s grace to us is not just forgiveness of sin and heaven when we die, but it is a new life, in the Spirit, free from the control of sin, and free and empowered of the Spirit to now walk in righteousness and holiness.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Vv. 8-10

Lastly, at least one other common thread in our testimonies should be our acknowledgment that we can’t do any of this in our own flesh. If we are to be victorious over sin, and walking according to the Spirit, and no longer according to the flesh, we must be in Christ, by faith in Him, born again of the Spirit of God, washed in the blood of Christ, and cleansed from our sins.

First, God draws us to Christ, then he persuades us to accept his salvation into our lives, by faith, and as to his will and purposes for our lives. We are, thus, moved of the Holy Spirit to repent of our sins, to yield our lives to Christ, to leave our lives of sin behind us, and to walk in the ways of the Lord. The Holy Spirit changes our hearts, and he gives us new lives in Christ Jesus, but only as we surrender our lives to his work of grace in our lives.

Then, he strengthens and empowers us to resist Satan, to flee temptation and to walk in the Spirit and no longer according to the flesh. His grace, in fact, teaches (instructs) us to say “NO” to ungodliness and worldly passions (lusts) and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives while we await Christ’s return. Yet, all of this comes from God, and not from our flesh.

There is nothing we can do, in our flesh, to earn or to deserve our own salvation. Only by God’s grace, through faith in Christ, are we saved from our sins, set free from slavery to sin, and reborn of the Spirit of God.

So, although the works of our flesh will never save us, nor will we ever find true freedom in them, our salvation is not absent of works, but they are the works of the Spirit, which God ordained for us that we should walk in them, yet empowered by God, strengthened by his might, and led by the Spirit. We must always acknowledge this, that we are totally dependent on God for the breath of life, for salvation, for deliverance from sin, and the power to walk in freedom and in holiness, and to no longer be enslaved to sin. Amen!

I Sing of His Mercy / An Original Work
Based off Psalm 32 / April 10, 2014

Blessed are those whose sins are forgiven
By the blood of Jesus Christ.
Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord does
Not count against them; freedom found.
When, in silence, I did not confess
My sin to You; had no strength.
Then I owned up to my sin and
You forgave and cleansed me within.

Therefore let the godly pray to You;
Draw near to You; grace they’ll find.
They will not be o’ertaken by afflictions,
But in Christ peace abounds.
Lord, You are my hiding place.
I find my refuge in You secure.
You protect me from all evil.
You give songs of vict’ry in You.

Lord, You teach me to walk in Your ways;
Counsel me in love, I know.
Help me to not be stubborn and
Unwilling to follow in Your truth.
Thank You for Your love and mercy.
I put my trust in You always.
I rejoice in my Lord and
I sing of Him throughout all my days.

Friday, December 15, 2017, 8:55 a.m. – Thank you, Jesus, that you have given us all we need to live godly lives, holy and pleasing to you, and free from the control of sin over our lives, as we yield control of our lives to you.

Loyal
Sins of the flesh, I think these are obvious, for me I used to live in several of these on a daily basis, I can now look back and say wow thank you Jesus for curing me of these sins because I know I could never escape them with out him, and now I am free of these fleshly sins thanks to Jesus. I do believe these flesh sins are the sins of death because it say's you will not inherit the kingdom of God if you practice them.

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

so now what about sins that are not sins of death, these are the ones that remind me I am still a daily sinner and not made perfect yet !!

1 John 5:17
All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death.

Jesus tells us not to worry in the bible, so if we do not listen to Jesus are we not sinning?, so whom among us can say that they have not worried once this week over something, you see we are not perfect yet and if we worry that is sinning is it not? so this type of sin is not sin of death perhaps?

Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

What about getting angry, I mean just driving the car can get some people angry or if you stub your toe you can get angry, or if your brother annoys you in some way you get angry, from my understanding if you get angry in slightest bit over absolutly anything you have sinned see we are not perfect yet is my thought.. Best example of what this looks like to me is if someone on the internet says something that makes you angry happens everyday does it not?? ITs says angry it does not gives conditions for you to justify your anger does it?? so if you ever find yourself getting angry on the internet over a post you have sinned have you not?

Matthew 5:22
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

In my human mind I can easily think if I avoid all the sins of the flesh I am sinless, but when I dig deeper in scripture it seems just the slightest wrong negative thought is a sin, , so I may be sinless in regards to practicing the sins of the flesh, but that does not make me sinless. I am still not perfect and have to be on guard of negative thoughts such as anger lust worry what types of sins are those?? I am not sure what to call them are they considered sins of the flesh I do not know for sure but it seems they are not if I had to give a opinion.

Loyal
Sins of the flesh, I think these are obvious, for me I used to live in several of these on a daily basis, I can now look back and say wow thank you Jesus for curing me of these sins because I know I could never escape them with out him, and now I am free of these fleshly sins thanks to Jesus. I do believe these flesh sins are the sins of death because it say's you will not inherit the kingdom of God if you practice them.

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

so now what about sins that are not sins of death, these are the ones that remind me I am still a daily sinner and not made perfect yet !!

Jesus tells us not to worry in the bible, so if we do not listen to Jesus are we not sinning?, so whom among us can say that they have not worried once this week over something, you see we are not perfect yet and if we worry that is sinning is it not? so this type of sin is not sin of death perhaps?

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

What about getting angry, I mean just driving the car can get some people angry or if you stub your toe you can get angry, or if your brother annoys you in some way you get angry, from my understanding if you get angry in slightest bit over absolutly anything you have sinned see we are not perfect yet is my thought.. Best example of what this looks like to me is if someone on the internet says something that makes you angry happens everyday does it not?? ITs says angry it does not gives conditions for you to justify your anger does it?? so if you ever find yourself getting angry on the internet over a post you have sinned have you not?

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

In my human mind I can easily think if I avoid all the sins of the flesh I am sinless, but when I dig deeper in scripture it seems just the slightest wrong negative thought is a sin, , so I may be sinless in regards to practicing the sins of the flesh, but that does not make me sinless. I am still not perfect and have to be on guard of negative thoughts such as anger lust worry what types of sins are those?? I am not sure what to call them are they considered sins of the flesh I do not know for sure but it seems they are not if I had to give a opinion.

I believe it is spiritually healthy to ask ourselves such questions, to examine what the scriptures teach us, and to let the Holy Spirit guide us into all truth. I don't believe I have ever tried to put sins into categories such as those of the flesh and those not of the flesh, for I would think that all sin is of the flesh.

I do believe, however, that scripture does divide sin into sin that is willful (premeditated) and defiant as opposed to sin that is like you responded to what someone said badly, with a wrong attitude, and so you had to apologize. I think David is the one who distinguished between hidden faults and willful sins. Also, the Bible talks about certain sins as an abomination to God and certain ones which he hated, and if you look at those, I think they would also fit with this list of sins of the flesh. But, regarding our salvation or our eternal security, the division I see is that of walking in (practicing) sin or not walking in (practicing) sin.

In the Galatians 5 passage you quoted above, the word "do," as in "those who do such things" is "4238 prássō – properly, the active process in performing (accomplishing) a deed, and implying what is done as a regular practice – i.e. a routine or habit (cf. R. Trench)." Strong's Greek: 4238. πράσσω (prassó) -- to do, practice. So, it really has to do with those who regularly and consistently make these sins their practice, i.e. like walking in sin as opposed to sinning on occasion. Those who walk in sin will die in sin. That is what I know.

Loyal

You might like this: My Spirit Rejoices!

Active

@davem if you read kjv, I dont know what your version is but its actually left out some words mine says whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of judgement

Active
Hmm it seems to me some people call things sins that are not actually sins, while others ignore sins that actually are.

We are people that live by faith while we are still in the flesh. The flesh wants to do one thing, preserve itself, but our spirit, which is eternal, wants to do the will of God. We need to be always yielding to the spirit.

When you got baptised, do you understand what happened when you got baptised? I'm just asking because the bible does tell us that we put to death the old man of flesh. When we undergo baptism. How do we reckon ourselves dead to sin. Well when you went under the water that symbolises the burial of your old self. We are crucified with Christ.

Obviously we here are still alive in the flesh right now but still we reckon our flesh dead. And our spirit new. Ok our bodies may not be new right now like its not like we suddenly grow younger and never age. But this is what will happen by faith when we enter heaven. Do you know our skin actually does renew itself every year and even our hair will not be the exact same hair we had a year ago. I dont know the cycle of it but cells are constantly dying and being replaced. You see that in plants...you can chop down a perenniel right down to the ground, in autumn all the old growth, and in spring it will come back again fresh and lovely. Its still the same plant...! Its not like I went to the shop and bought a new one to replace it.

Active
Ok maybe you drop something on your toe and you say ow it hurts. That wouldnt be a sin.
You could even call yourself an idiot for dropping whatever it was on your toe.

But if you cursed or blamed someone nearby for dropping something on your toe when they actually didnt, then that would be a sin.

Loyal
interesting so your saying getting angry at yourself is not a sin, is that correct assumption I am making?

Active
Well if it was your own fault then you could get angry at yourself but then you need to forgive yourself for being careless.

If we do get angry its because we have a short temper we also need to forgive that person who was at fault. But we make it worse if we get angry at them and turn violent in our speech or with our hands. People can kill and hit people when they get angry. Which is why, its best to be long suffering, so it might hurt for a bit but eventually the pain goes away.

I dont know do you get angry often? The bible says dont let the sun go down on your anger.

One of the fruits of the spirit is self control...also remember vengeance is actually Gods domain, not ours.

There can be people who, if things dont go their way all the time, throw hissy fits or tantrums and that can be frightening to witness. Not just children but adults. Then they blame others who recieve their anger when it wasnt even their fault. Look what cain did to abel.

Jesus said they hated me without cause, well they killed him too. This is what anger can fuel.

Yes Jesus got annoyed but he didnt lose his temper with people. I think the only occasion was when he got to the temple and people were selling stuff there. But his anger or wrath had a reason..i think you know the difference when people are angry for a reason as opposed to unreasonable anger that is intended to harm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
I think for the most part we agree on the anger issue of sin, I just had never thought of it before as far as regards as to being a sin if I was angry at myself that is why I asked , God has given me a very good temperament so I hardly ever get angry.