Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

A Romantic Story

Dreamer

Chad asked me to tell the story of how my husband and I met. So I chose Soulmate Forum, as I have found my true soulmate in my husband.

I had just turned 43. My life sort of seemed over. I'd made some mistakes and quit a perfectly good job and moved away about 30 miles, to a bigger city.

My daughter and I were staying at a friend's apartment, because I had met up with some trouble (a troubled man), in this city. Then I met someone online in my own hometown that I'd lived in originally. I met him at a christian website for singles, using my roomate's computer by her permission.

Unbeknownst to me, my roomate was praying for me in all kinds of ways. One thing she was praying for, is that I would meet the right man to marry. This roomate had known me for years. She knew I was a magnet for bad co-dependent relationships. She knew I loved the Lord, was lonely, and wanted a Christian father for my daughter.

As Jim and I began exchanging private messages at the Big Church site, all the other people I met just seemed to fall away. I didn't want to be rude, but I already knew who I liked, and it was Jim. So we had fun exchanging messages by computer and sharing our testimonies. His photo was posted at the site. But mine wasn't, and besides, I hadn't even posted a profile.

Still, after a few weeks, Jim gave me his home address and phone number. This scared me. I kind of wanted to keep it a little less real. I wasn't ready to be hurt again. However, the next day when I returned home from work, my roomate said, "Why not call him? He might be what he says he is."

So I did. And it was fun talking with him. He still hadn't seen a picture of me. He began to call me once in awhile in the evenings. My roomate said I had a new sparkle in my eyes.

We agreed by e-mail to meet at a place called Northpark. It was a half-way point between us. We really only lived about 32 miles apart, but I didn't want to reveal where I lived in case he was another weirdo.

I saw a red pickup truck as I pulled into the public parking area. He saw me pulling in with the green Sunfire I'd described and we both sort of walked toward each other.

"Are you Jan?"

"That's me," I said.

He grinned and seemed quite satisfied with the way I looked. We began walking around the trail and this is when I found out that he loves to talk. I'd been worried about what I would talk about. No need to worry. Sometimes I had a chance to say a few words when he asked questions. Other than that, I just listened and smiled. This was easy.

I thought he was really cute, and really unique. I did ask him lots of questions (when I could get a word in edgewise) about his relationship with Christ.

I will never forget that walk at the park. It was the beginning of something beautiful. Has our courtship been perfect? Has our marriage been perfect?
No. Because we are human. But I believe we are in God's will by marrying.
It's not always been easy, but it's always been well worth it.

After the park, I felt that I could trust him to go on some real dates, so after that he would come and pick me up at the apartment where my daughter and I were staying. He got to meet my daughter, my roomate, and my roomate's family. We did marry seven months after meeting. But we weren't exactly getting any younger, either. When we married, I was 43, Jim was 53.

After another few short months of marriage, Jim was deployed to Iraq from the Tennessee Army National Guard. So far, at that time, we had a rather tumultuous family life at home.

I wasn't pleased with Jim's temper. He was always yelling at me or my daughter and many times I wished I hadn't married him. He'd not yelled at us like that when we were dating.

After he left for Fort Sill, Oklahoma, to the Army base, I felt angry. I couldn't stop cleaning the house. (That's what I do when I'm angry.) I was angry that my husband had to ship off to Iraq, but at the same time I was relieved he wouldn't be yelling at us any more. At the same time, I loved him and wanted him to keep safe in Iraq. A lot of strong emotions.

I was going to school full time at a nearby college, and decided that I would just finish school and try to stay as busy as possible. One day I went to the medical clinic at the college. I said, "I know this doesn't seem possible, because I'm 44 years old, and I think I'm pregnant."

They did a pregnancy test. They said I was at least 9 weeks pregnant. He-hee, so much for all my personal plans. I'd planned to be an Elementary School teacher within 2 years of that date. But it didn't turn out that way.

The whole time Jim was in Iraq, his army buddies teased him about being a new father. (He has 2 other adult children, 35 and 29) But he actually loved the teasing.

When Jim returned home permanently from Iraq, I had just gotten acquainted with talk Jesus as a member. I did not really tell anyone here how scared I was about my husband coming home. I knew they wouldn't understand.

He came home more gentle and more understanding than before. He had allowed God to do some work on him. God is still working on me with many issues, such as depression and such. God is still working on our family.

We have more good days than we do bad, now. We have more beautiful family moments, than negative ones. Jim loves my daughter as a Christian step-dad. He adores our baby. It took awhile for me to get used to being a mother again after all these years. I thought I was too old. But I'm not! God gave me a baby boy as a gift from Him.

Jesus has blessed our marriage and He continues to work on us each day to make us more and more like Him. We have a long way to go, but we are getting a little closer to Jesus every day.

I would like to wish Jesus a Happy Valentine's Day and thank Him for giving me my sweetheart, Jim. God knew what He was doing all along when He put Jim and me together.

I also wish a Happy Valentine's Day to each of you. Let God do the choosing, brothers and sisters, and just trust in Him.

Last edited:
Dreamer,

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story! It really touched my heart! You post has encouraged me to post about how I met my husband to be! :) God really works in mysterious ways! I just love that!

Blessings,
monkeys

Wow sister Dreamer, don't mind my words, I can't express what I feel at this moment, but this is truly wow!

God bless you sister, I pray that you and your husband will have 50 more years together, that your family will always be there for each other and that Jesus will play the center role!

I love you sister, thank you for this message.
Much love
teraside

Beautiful and uplifting to read this Dreamer. God obviously knows how to put His puzzle well together. :love:

Thank you for sharing this with us sister dreamer.

I am glad that you were led by God to find your soulmate. Wonderful that you both have a child together too. Very interesting reading.

It's amazing how God works in our lives transforming us to make us more like Him.

God bless you dear sister :love: :rainbow: :rose:

A wonderful love story sister. I'm glad you decided to post this here, you took my advice :P

Its awesome what GOD can do in our lives. I just hope I'm not 43 when I finally meet the right one. I've been long enough alone and lonely as it is, now 27yrs old so you can comprehend that feeling :)

GOD bless, thanks for being a moderator and mommy at the same time.

Back