• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

advice on fasting needed ?

hey all
was going to start fasting anyone have any good advice on it ,i was hoping to do one day a week

hey all
was going to start fasting anyone have any good advice on it ,i was hoping to do one day a week

Abigya helped me out a lot with this. I think you should check out what he wrote in the "Bible Chat" forum on my post called "Fasting".

One day a week really isnt that bad, but really I don't think you need to make it a routine so much. I think you should fast regularly, but fast in times of seeking God's will, and fast in times of prayer, which should be regular things :D

Anyway I think as far as the health issues, abigya covered a lot in his post. I usually drink juice when I am fasting, it saves on the headaches like he mentioned. Anyway, check it out :D

Abigya helped me out a lot with this. I think you should check out what he wrote in the "Bible Chat" forum on my post called "Fasting".

One day a week really isnt that bad, but really I don't think you need to make it a routine so much. I think you should fast regularly, but fast in times of seeking God's will, and fast in times of prayer, which should be regular things :D

Anyway I think as far as the health issues, abigya covered a lot in his post. I usually drink juice when I am fasting, it saves on the headaches like he mentioned. Anyway, check it out :D

Seems like good advise being given here.

God Bless

Fasting can be a wonderful spiritual experience. Those who never fast and pray miss a spiritual exercise which has been a blessing to many throughout the ages. A person in good health may choose to forego occasional meals in order to focus on devotion to God. Not only are there spiritual benefits, but many doctors agree that there are also health benefits. The early church found prayer and fasting valuable when seeking the guidance of God for making important decisions such as choosing spiritual leaders; see Acts 13:2-3 and 14:23. God will honor and bless anyone who will fast and pray in the right spirit.

When Jesus fasted (Luke 4:2), we are told He ate nothing. It meant in all probability that He abstained from all food, solid or liquid, but not from water. This type of fast may be called the "normal fast." There are also a few examples in the Bible of the "absolute fast" which means abstaining from drinking water as well as from eating, as in Ezra 10:6. In Esther 4:16, Queen Esther instructs Mordecai, "Fast for me, Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do." See also Paul's fast in Acts 9:9. Other examples are in Deuteronomy 9:9, Exodus 34:28 and 1 Kings 19:8. This method of fasting is an exceptional measure for an extremely unusual situation. One would need to be very sure of the leading of the Lord to undertake any fast for longer than three days or one which excludes liquid. A doctor's advice would be very important.

There is also the "partial fast" which is a restriction on certain foods or certain meals, as in Daniel 10:3 and 1 Kings, chapter 17. This method is used today by some who omit one meal a day and spend that time in prayer. Biblical fasting can be public as well as private, regular as well as occasional, involuntary as well as voluntary.

BGEA: Billy Graham Evangelistic Association

the bible says not to look somber when fasting so that people will know. I've found that when i'm fasting i look tired and people always comment on it, cuz I am tired! They ask me what's wrong and stuff, and i'm not very energetic, but i'm not trying to put on that image. But when they ask me that, i wonder... is there something i'm not doing right? Am i supposed to be cheerful at all times? can i not look tired? anyone have experience or advice on this?

the bible says not to look somber when fasting so that people will know. I've found that when i'm fasting i look tired and people always comment on it, cuz I am tired! They ask me what's wrong and stuff, and i'm not very energetic, but i'm not trying to put on that image. But when they ask me that, i wonder... is there something i'm not doing right? Am i supposed to be cheerful at all times? can i not look tired? anyone have experience or advice on this?

The idea is not to keep it a secret, it is your motive which Jesus' was refering in the verse you are talking about. Jesus didn't like how the Pharasees fasted, because they fasted for men not God. They were not fasting to get closer to God, they were letting it show so that men would see how "righteous" they were. Jesus didn't like the way they prayed, he didn't really like anything about them. When Jesus reffered to praying in a closet, it wasn't so that your prayer would be a secret so to say, but the Pharasees were praying in the street or in places men could see. Again their motive was rubbish. They prayed and they had their reward: the appearance of holyness to men, and a total lack of any realy righteousness.

This is the idea behind that whole sermon on the mount. Two "religous" people are depicted here, two gates, two roads, two buildings. One builds on sand, one on rock.

The house built on sand looks exactly like the house built on a rock, it is the foundation (which you can not see) that is different. Many people look "religous", but are as close to God as the Pharasees. Their religion was the superficial religion, that had more or less degenerated into their own version obeying God which was all just a show for men and really had nothing to do with God at all. It is all summed up and comes to a climax right here:

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!”

That portion of scripture points out that religous activity doesnt equal salvation.

As far as fasting it likely will make you tired, but who you fast for and why is the real motive behind those verses in Matt 7. Are you fasting for God? Are you seeking to draw near to him and to obey him? If yes, then it doesn't matter how many people see or know that you are fasting because God knows your heart. He knows who you choose to please and that is the idea behind those verses.

I never have really fasted for more than 48 hours so I have never really seen myself get really bad. At the end of those 48 though I was starting to get extra uglier than usual :) So I don't know how long you are fasting, but juice really does help. It will give you some vitamins that you need to keep the headaches away, and some energy perhaps from the natural sugars and vitamins.

Check out abigya's post in Bible Chat where he replies to my post entitled "Fasting", he really has spent a lot of time on that guide.

Hope that clarifies some ;)

Hello
That's a wonderful experience when fast and mainly the fast of Esther and you grow spiritually and seek the face of God and once i did that now i'm able to fast at least one a week to seek the plan of God in my life and be closer to God as it's so wonderful to be in his presence and fasting break many bondages in our lives and we are free to seek God's face ! We do have an amazing father. God reveals each one his or her way to fast and main thing is to be more in spirit not to seek the desire of the flesh and even when fasting people have to fast in the sexual relationship as to be clean before God as its to seek God , to be before our Holy God

Dear Mounty
I am sure by now you are having wonderful time with God in fasting and prayers! hope the resources are helpful to you.
Check out this web site for more resources about fasting
edited by teraside: posting link without permission

jculver
I’m glad you found the resources very helpful,
I’m also sure God has spoke to you in the matters you where seeking his face for.
Just to remind you I am SHE not HE

Glory and honor be to our God

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Mounty
I am sure by now you are having wonderful time with God in fasting and prayers! hope the resources are helpful to you.
Check out this web site for more resources about fasting
edited by teraside: posting link without permission

jculver
I’m glad you found the resources very helpful,
I’m also sure God has spoke to you in the matters you where seeking his face for.
Just to remind you I am SHE not HE

Glory and honor be to our God

Sorry abigya! Again, thanks for the help and advise

Hello

Well you know fasting is how God guides you to do so and it's mainly to focus on the spiritual and if you want you can skip one meal or you can fast in any other ways like for e.g if you are someone that like mpst of the time watching tv then you can fast also once a week and not watch tv:shade: and read the Word of God and pray! As fasting is related to prayers also ! You fast for something special or any request in your life. God will guide you for the best as some people can fast without eating and even drinking water ! Everyone has his own way as God leads !

Fasting is important in christian life and not just fast like that but to pray also and focus on God's word and the enemy must flee ! Praise and worship the Lord Jesus-Christ and you will see his glory ! The Holy Spitit guides you in this time and learn to listen to the voice of God too !:lightning

Last edited:
Fasting or feasting?
Fasting is traditionally an abstinence from something such as food. Feasting is something we do rather a lot. What sort of things do you spend a lot of your time feasting on? Let me offer a few examples: television, computer games, music, sport, mobile phones… You get the idea.

There is a contrast between fasting and feasting. We give up one thing to gain another. We fast food and other things so we can feast on God.

As we focus on God and His word we are aware of other things we can fast from and feast on:

Fast from discontent; feast on thankfulness.
Fast from worry; feast on trust.
Fast from anger; feast on patience.
Fast from self-concern; feast on compassion for others.
Fast from unrelenting pressures; feast on unceasing prayers.
Fast from bitterness; feast on forgiveness.
Fast from discouragement; feast on hope.
Fast from media hype; feast on the honesty of the Bible.
Fast from idle gossip; feast on purposeful silence.
Fast from problems that overwhelm; feast on prayer that under girds.

Active
Sister Mounty Hi sister,I hope by what I say here will help you understand both why we should fast,and the purpose in our fast. Matt 6:16-18 WHENEVER!! not IF,please note this,and there is a reason for whenever as well,and here is why!

Isaiah 58:6-11 Please read this slow,and gather much from each verse here.For if you follow the instructions as given here step by step,every fast you make before our Jesus will ALWAYS be successful!! I still fast once a week,as well,and I am never disappointed!

Now some here just cannot fast, there flesh will not allow such things because of an aliment of some kind,but we all can fast something!! TV<computer, anything="" that="" our="" flesh="" truly="" loves,we="" can="" fast="" from,the="" reason="" for="" is="" to="" hear="" from="" lord.="" go="" into="" private="" room,and="" think="" about="" the="" measure="" of="" time="" we="" are="" giving="" him,as="" opposed="" others="" things.
,the computer,or something!

Do we have a good balance?( proverbs 11:1-2) When fasting we also examine our self as well. ( 2 Cor 13:5) Is God first? Or does he come after other things? Are we depending upon him, and his Word daily? Or are we going to the Lord because we have done everything else but this,and it has not worked?

In a fast,that is when we find out where we truly are in our Lord. It can be a tough time,and always is for the flesh,your flesh will speak to you during this fast!! It will say things like, hey do not forget,the kids will soon be home,the phone may have rung and you missed it,anything to get you off!! you knees before the Lord!

So if you are going to fast,make sure you have the time needed to fast! This is so important,it is the Lord and you one on one!! Don't blow it! A fast is not like many prayers that are thrown up to God and hope they stick! A fast is the very paste to make our prayers stick!

The flesh will not like this!! Know this! and the flesh will remind the mind,hey,I think this has been long enough to!! LOL When this happens, you are closer to Jesus then you know,the one mountain in our way most times is our very flesh.( eph 6:12) This is a war!!Make no mistake about this!

To fast,is to have purpose,and to have purpose,is to grow in our Lord,and become dependent on him in EVERY area of our lives. ( matt 16:24-26) To follow means to follow. I am not judging any!!

But i know what works in Christ in this area,and better then that!! Praise the Lord for HIS WISDOM!!! I know why to!!amen! One more point. Durning this fast this is what the Lord is doing to you as well!! ( jeremiah 17:10!!) The question then becomes, what is our result?? This is up to us!! Praise the Lord!! Matt 7:7!!-11) ask, seek!,an knock!

Doing this, you become a prayer warrior! Fasting takes heaven by force!!( matt 11:12) The devil waits to rob us before we knock!! He is around us, when we ask,he is around us when we seek,but when we knock and the door opens!! The devil flees!! Jesus is now before us!! And his instructions to us,and his love poured out towards us never can fail!! AMEN! Use the Word given to us,for it is by his Word,the door opens to us! For Jesus Christ is the living Word!! ( john 1:1) amen</computer,>

Last edited:
Active
I do not know of a single person,that does not know another in great need! Here is the Illustration of the fast,so you can see this with your own eyes. James 2:14-18 We give, what we would have taken,to another,LOVE. Then watch what the Lord will do for you!!( luke 11:11-13!!) payback time from Jesus!! And you will truly love the results!! ( Matt 7:7-11 as well.) amen Do you think the Lord is looking to tell us something here???? I think he is! Blessing always to you all!

Last edited: