• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

"automatic" Saints?

Administrator
Staff Member
"AUTOMATIC" SAINTS?
A.W. Tozer

Not everyone agrees with me that full qualification for eternity is not instant or automatic or painless. I can only hope that you are wise enough, desirous enough and spiritual enough to face up to the truth that every day is another day of spiritual preparation, another day of testing and discipline with our heavenly destination in mind. I hope, too, that you may begin to understand why many evangelical churches are in such a mess.

It has become popular to preach a painless Christianity and automatic saintliness. It has become a part of our "instant" culture-"just pour a little water on it, stir mildly, pick up a gospel tract, and you are on your Christian way!" "Lo," we are told, "this is Bible Christianity!,' "It is nothing of the sort!" To depend upon that kind of a formula is to experience only the outer fringe, the edge of what Christianity really is. For when the new birth is real and the wonder of regeneration has taken place, then comes the lifetime of preparation with the guidance of the Holy Spirit!

So true. I love Tozer.

This is exactly why I had such a problem with my so-called Christian friends while growing up, before I became a born again Christian. My "Christian" friends didn't act or seem or think any differently than my secular friends. They drank, smoked, lied, cheated, were vain and prideful, hateful, etc. just as bad as my non-Christian friends, yet I was supposed to believe they were born again Christians filled with the Holy Spirit?

Blessedly, our precious Lord opened my eyes Himself; He did what my friends could not. He led me to Himself.

Thank you for posting this.

No pain, no change...

No pain no change......
That is what many christians fail to understand that's why we've got these instant stuff in increase. We want God to bless us with a car, house instantly without seeking His face, we want God to erase that problem instantly yet one cannot remember when was the last time he/she had a silent time with God....we want promotions from work instantly yet you cant remember when was the last time you tithed and gave offering/love offering...There is a command with every blessing of God, We tend to take God as a manufacturer of stuff, we MUST worship God for Who He is and not what He provides.

The root cause of this problem goes back with the relationship one has with God and what your pastor feeds you. If one is always fed of instant cooked food( like baby's cerelac) then he/she will be a baby or infant but if he's fed of solid food that Paul the Apostle recommends then one will be stable and accept changes in their lives which are painful compared to instant stuff.

One more thing, easy or instant things come fast and goes fast, they dont last....easy come ,easy go but hold on to that which you've laboured for by His grace then that will last. No Pain, no change or gain.

"automatic" Saints -

the title it self made me smile even before opening and reading the post.

yes i agree, CHRIST LIKENESS is a process...........

2 peter 1:5-8

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge,
6 to knowledge self–control, to self–control perseverance, to perseverance godliness,
7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.
8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

thank you for sharing

in Christ ........abigya

Last edited:
No pain no change......
That is what many christians fail to understand that's why we've got these instant stuff in increase. We want God to bless us with a car, house instantly without seeking His face, we want God to erase that problem instantly yet one cannot remember when was the last time he/she had a silent time with God....we want promotions from work instantly yet you cant remember when was the last time you tithed and gave offering/love offering...There is a command with every blessing of God, We tend to take God as a manufacturer of stuff, we MUST worship God for Who He is and not what He provides.

The root cause of this problem goes back with the relationship one has with God and what your pastor feeds you. If one is always fed of instant cooked food( like baby's cerelac) then he/she will be a baby or infant but if he's fed of solid food that Paul the Apostle recommends then one will be stable and accept changes in their lives which are painful compared to instant stuff.

One more thing, easy or instant things come fast and goes fast, they dont last....easy come ,easy go but hold on to that which you've laboured for by His grace then that will last. No Pain, no change or gain.

Hopefully we grow to the point we can feed ourselves, if not then we turn out very spoiled and selfish.

"AUTOMATIC" SAINTS?
A.W. Tozer

Not everyone agrees with me that full qualification for eternity is not instant or automatic or painless. I can only hope that you are wise enough, desirous enough and spiritual enough to face up to the truth that every day is another day of spiritual preparation, another day of testing and discipline with our heavenly destination in mind. I hope, too, that you may begin to understand why many evangelical churches are in such a mess.

It has become popular to preach a painless Christianity and automatic saintliness. It has become a part of our "instant" culture-"just pour a little water on it, stir mildly, pick up a gospel tract, and you are on your Christian way!" "Lo," we are told, "this is Bible Christianity!,' "It is nothing of the sort!" To depend upon that kind of a formula is to experience only the outer fringe, the edge of what Christianity really is. For when the new birth is real and the wonder of regeneration has taken place, then comes the lifetime of preparation with the guidance of the Holy Spirit!

"The dying thief rejoiced to see that fountain in his day.
And there may I tho' vile as he wash all my sins away".

Automatic Saints....would the dying thief be one of them?

Today I read Daniel ch 10.

Daniel was praying and fasting as he prayed. The Jewish nation, known as Shepherds had now become Shopkeepers as they prospered in Babylon. They did not want to return to the place where God desired them to be.

Daniel prayed and fasted 21 days. ch 10. He saw Jesus, he languished in weakness, an Angel strengthened him.

Automatic Saint.....Absolutely

O.T. I am aware.,...but it is where I am today.....in Jesus

This is so true. Being Christians we are called into relationship with God. and it is that relationship that bears fruit and it is that relationship that secures our salvation.

Like any relationship, it requires commitment, conversation, faithfulness, trust and love. And when we have those things with God we bear good fruit. And we also are assured of our salvation. NOT because we prayed once that Jesus could take our sins but because we are continually reaffirming our love and relationship with God. Matt 7:21-23 says that it is not our declaration of faith, or our actions that save us but our relationship with God. Our faith in God. And like James says, faith without deeds is no faith at all, but those deeds come from faith and are a necessary result of faith. And so when our fruit is bad, don't think about the fruit, think about the relationship with God. Because that is what is responsible for good fruit.

We have to take up our cross DAILY and follow him. Christianity is not an easy path.

HOWEVER

In our weakness we are made strong through God in us, and so we have the reassurance that we do not walk alone in our journey through life, but Jesus is right by our side. So much as "Automatic Saints" is oxymoronic, we can have full assurance that God will help us, comfort us and support us in times of need (and kick us into action when we are idle) and that the Christian walk is not a solitary one. That is assurance indeed!

Love Jack

Last edited: