• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Avocados

Administrator
Staff Member
The Avocado Advantage

Once banished for being high in fat, this fruit is making a healthy comeback.

WebMD Feature

Aug. 14, 2000 -- For as long as he can remember, George Bliss, age 81, has been eating avocados morning, noon, and night. A second-generation California avocado farmer, Bliss loves the fruits of his labor. "I eat three avocados a day," he says with the fervor of a true addict. "I have one on my eggs in the morning, one in my salad at noon, and one with my dinner."

Partaking of his land's bounty doesn't seem to have done Bliss any harm. After eight decades of daily avocado consumption, he's still going strong; at 6 feet tall, he weighs a trim 180 pounds. He believes that he has avocados to thank for his good health. "I'm still living and I'm over 80," he says. "I do some exercise on a bicycle, and I walk through the orchards keeping up with my business. I don't need a cane or anything." And sure, Bliss says, his green globes might be a bit fatty, but that's no reason to fear them.

It's true that avocados are high in fat -- one reason they've earned the nickname "butter pear." A medium-sized avocado contains 30 grams of fat, as much as a quarter-pound burger. That's why diet experts have long urged Americans to go easy on avocados in favor of less fatty fruits and vegetables. But now nutritionists are taking another look. They're finding that most of the fat in an avocado is monounsaturated -- the "good" kind that actually lowers cholesterol levels. Thanks to this new understanding, the U.S. government recently revised its official nutrition guidelines to urge Americans to eat more avocados.

High in the Good Fat

The avocado's image first took on some polish with a 1996 study by researchers at the Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social in Mexico (Archives of Medical Research, Winter 1996) that looked at the health benefits of daily avocado consumption. The 45 volunteers who ate avocados every day for a week experienced an average 17% drop in total blood cholesterol. Their cholesterol ratio also changed in a healthy way: Their levels of LDL (low-density lipoprotein, or "bad fat") and triglycerides, both associated with heart disease, went down. Their HDL (high-density lipoprotein, or "good fat") levels, which tend to lower the risk of heart disease, climbed.

Researchers have also discovered that avocados are rich in beta-sitosterol, a natural substance shown to significantly lower blood cholesterol levels. In a review article published in the December 1999 issue of the American Journal of Medicine, researchers pointed out that beta-sitosterol was shown to reduce cholesterol in 16 human studies.

Everything in Moderation

Sneaking monounsaturated fats into your own daily diet may allow you to enjoy similar health benefits, says Melanie Polk, a registered dietitian and director of nutrition education at the American Institute for Cancer Research in Washington, D.C. Used creatively, she says, avocados can add variety -- and good nutrition -- to your diet.

Instead of spreading butter or cream cheese on your bread or bagel, use some mashed avocado instead. Replace that mayo you'd usually put on a sandwich with avocado slices. You'll not only save calories, you'll be cutting out saturated fat and increasing your daily intake of monounsaturated fat as well.

But before you pile avocados onto every dish, remember that when it comes to calories, avocados have lots of them -- because of all that fat. Fat of any type has double the calories of the same amount of carbohydrates, says Polk. "Avocados add great variety to a well balanced, low-fat diet, but you have to eat them in moderation."

A recommended serving size is 2 tablespoons, or roughly one-sixth of a medium-sized avocado. Each serving provides 5 grams of fat and 55 calories. Still, compared with butter or mayonnaise -- which each pack 22 fat grams and 200 calories in a 2-tablespoon serving -- they don't seem so bad.

Giving Avocados a Try

If you decide to incorporate more avocados into your diet, look for them at your local farmer's market or grocery store. If they are hard, place them in a paper sack for a day or two until they ripen and dent when gently squeezed, then use them right away. The green flesh will quickly turn an unappealing shade of brown when exposed to air. To prevent this, place plastic wrap as tightly against the avocado flesh as possible, or sprinkle the cut fruit with a little lemon juice and refrigerate.

Despite their popularity and health benefits, there are still plenty of people who haven't tried avocados, especially those living outside California and Texas. Those two states alone consume as many avocados as the rest of the country combined, says Bliss. But he and his wife are doing their best to spread the avocado gospel: "As we travel east in our motor home, we give out avocados to anyone we meet who hasn't tried them," he says. "We know that as soon

Avocado Nutrition Structure/Function Statements
  1. Avocados contain 81 micrograms of the carotenoid lutein, which some studies suggest may help maintain healthy eyes.
  2. Avocados are included in Fruits & Veggies—More Matters<sup>TM</sup> consumer educational program to promote increased consumption of fruits and vegetables for good health.
  3. Avocados contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and beneficial plant compounds that can contribute to the nutrient quality of your diet.
  4. Avocados, due to their mono and polyunsaturated fat content, are a healthy substitution for foods rich in saturated fat.
  5. One-fifth of a medium avocado (1 oz) has 50 calories and contributes nearly 20 vitamins and minerals making it a good nutrient choice.
  6. Avocados contain 76 milligrams beta-sitosterol in a 3-oz serving of avocado. Beta-sitosterol is a natural plant sterol which may help maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
Avocados and Babies

The avocado's smooth, creamy consistency makes it one of the first fresh fruits a baby can enjoy. Sodium- and cholesterol- free, avocados contain valuable nutrients including 8% of the recommended Daily Value (DV) for folate; 4% DV for fiber and potassium, 4% DV for vitamin E; and 2% DV for iron. A serving of avocado also contains 81 micrograms of the carotenoid lutein and 19 micrograms of beta-carotene. Per serving, avocados have 3.5 grams of unsaturated fats, which are known to be important for normal growth and development of the central nervous system and brain.

Avocados Nutrient Profile:
  • One-fifth of a medium avocado, or about one ounce, has 50 calories and contributes nearly 20 beneficial nutrients to the diet.
  • Avocados contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Phytonutrients are thought to help prevent many chronic diseases.
  • Avocados contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, including 4% of the recommended Daily Value (DV) for vitamin E, 4% vitamin C, 8% folate, 4% fiber, 2% iron, 4% potassium, with 81 micrograms of lutein and 19 micrograms of beta-carotene.
  • Avocados act as a “nutrient booster” by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha- and beta-carotene as well as lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit.
Avocados and Heart Disease:
  • Avocados can help consumers meet the dietary guidelines of the American Heart Association, which are to eat a diet that is low to moderate in fat. The fats should be primarily unsaturated and low in saturated fat and cholesterol. The avocado is virtually the only fruit that has monounsaturated fat.
  • Avocados help assist consumers in meeting a major dietary goal of reducing saturated fat in the diet, when they are consumed in place of saturated-fat containing foods.
Avocado and Weight Loss/Maintenance:
  • When used instead of other fats, avocados contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients and can be part of a calorie-reduced diet.
  • Avocados can be a satisfying addition to a calorie-reduced diet, when they are eaten in lieu of other fats.
  • When enjoyed in place of other fats, avocados can be a satisfying addition to a calorie-controlled diet.
Spread and Dip Nutritional Comparison for Fresh Avocados:
  • Fresh avocado on sandwiches and toast or substituted as a spread in place of many other popular foods may help reduce dietary intake of calories, fat, saturated fat, sodium and cholesterol.
  • Want to reduce your cholesterol intake? Try fresh avocado on sandwiches and toast or substitute as a spread in place of many other popular foods to reduce your intake of cholesterol, calories, fat, saturated fat, and sodium.
  • Looking for a twist on spreads and dips? A 1-ounce serving of fresh avocados contain 0mg of cholesterol, 0mg of sodium, 0.5g saturated fat. See the chart below for examples of how fresh avocados are a great substitute on sandwiches, toast or substituted as a spread in place of many other popular foods.
  • Try fresh avocado on sandwiches and toast in place of many other popular foods to reduce your intake of cholesterol, calories, fat, saturated fat, and sodium. (see the chart below)
<table id="tbl" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="550"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="6" style="border-width: 2px 1px;" class="head">Spread and Dip Nutritional Comparison</td></tr> <tr> <td style="border-width: 2px 1px 2px 2px;"> </td> <td class="head" style="border-width: 2px 1px;" align="center" valign="top">Fresh
Avocado
</td> <td class="head" style="border-width: 2px 1px;" align="center" valign="top">Butter,
salted
</td> <td class="head" style="border-width: 2px 1px;" align="center" valign="top">Sour
Cream,
Cultured
</td> <td class="head" style="border-width: 2px 1px;" align="center" valign="top">Cheddar
Cheese
</td> <td class="head" style="border-width: 2px 2px 2px 1px;" align="center" valign="top">Mayonnaise,
with salt
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="head" style="border-left-width: 2px;" valign="top">Portion
(1 ounce)</td> <td class="subText">2 Tbsp. or
2-3 Thin Slices</td> <td class="subText">2 Tbsp.</td> <td class="subText">2 Tbsp.</td> <td class="subText">1 Slice</td> <td class="subText" style="border-right-width: 2px;">2 Tbsp.</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="head" style="border-left-width: 2px;" valign="top">Calories</td> <td class="subText">50</td> <td class="subText">204</td> <td class="subText">60</td> <td class="subText">114</td> <td class="subText" style="border-right-width: 2px;">109</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="head" style="border-left-width: 2px;" valign="top">Total Fat (g)</td> <td class="subText">4.5</td> <td class="subText">23</td> <td class="subText">6</td> <td class="subText">9.4</td> <td class="subText" style="border-right-width: 2px;">9.4</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="head" style="border-left-width: 2px;" valign="top">Sat Fat (g)</td> <td class="subText">0.5</td> <td class="subText">14.6</td> <td class="subText">3.7</td> <td class="subText">6</td> <td class="subText" style="border-right-width: 2px;">1.4</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="head" style="border-left-width: 2px;" valign="top">Cholesterol (mg)</td> <td class="subText">0</td> <td class="subText">61</td> <td class="subText">13</td> <td class="subText">30</td> <td class="subText" style="border-right-width: 2px;">7</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="head" style="border-width: 1px 1px 2px 2px;" valign="top">Sodium (mg)</td> <td class="subText" style="border-bottom-width: 2px;">0</td> <td class="subText" style="border-bottom-width: 2px;">164</td> <td class="subText" style="border-bottom-width: 2px;">15</td> <td class="subText" style="border-bottom-width: 2px;">176</td> <td class="subText" style="border-width: 1px 2px 2px 1px;">199</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Reference: USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 18 (2005) and FDA Food Labeling Guidelines for Voluntary Nutrition Labeling of Raw Fruits, Vegetable and Fish (Vol. 71, No. 159); Appendix C to Part 101 – Nutrition Facts for Raw Fruits and Vegetables (2006).
  • Nutritional values are for the item listed only; not as consumed with other foods or ingredients.
Avocados and Lutein:
  • Avocados are a good way to get more lutein in the diet. An ounce of avocado contains 81 micrograms of lutein. Lutein has been shown to be concentrated in the Macula of the eye, and research suggests that it may help maintain healthy eyesight as we age.
  • Lutein is a natural antioxidant that may help maintain eye health as we get older. By adding avocado to foods like salads, salsa, soups or sandwiches you can get more of the phytonutrient lutein in your diet.
avolabel.gif

avolabel_spanish.gif

Active
Once banished for being high in fat, this fruit is making a healthy comeback.

Banished not in my house, my grandmother has 2 trees, lets just say a plate of food without a slice of zaboca (avocado ) is not worthy of being served.

Growing up I hated the taste, but now I love it. The ones you find in Trinidad and Tobago is not like those tiny ones you find in your groceries.

Last edited:
I loved Avacados

But I never knew so much about them! My co-worker just found out he needs to lower his cholesterol and then bam I find this thread!

What did the Lord say when He stepped on the Avocado?
Holy Guacamole! LOL!

Seriously though I love the things!

My mum used to make salads with raw spinach and avacado. The bitter taste of the spinach combined with the nutty taste of the avacado was indeed yummy!

Administrator
Staff Member
On my trip (presently) in Lebanon, been eating avocados almost every day. Very healthy, tasty and fulfilling without the feeling of overeating.

On my trip (presently) in Lebanon, been eating avocados almost every day. Very healthy, tasty and fulfilling without the feeling of overeating.

I trust you are enjoying your time there. By the sounds of it...you are. You'll have to write a wee essay about your trip and post it. It would be interesting reading.