Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Being a "real" Christian

For Him

Recently ive been exposed to some new concepts in regards to Christianity and what it means to be a Christian. If anyone else here knows Rob Bell's Nooma series you will probably understand how they just seem to burst from him!!!

one of the very real concepts was that it is possible to be saved and yet still miserable (from his book "the velvet elvis"). ive been in a bit of a rough patch for about 6 months now, and even tonight fell back into an old bad habit that has been plaguing me. this concept has made me feel human!!! it's like, everyone seems to think that if you're a Christian that you should be happy all the time, and that you wont be tempted by things that are outlandish and seeming nonexistant in Christian cirlces.

i believe im proof that this isnt the case. and i know many of you feel the same way. we are told constantly to let Jesus' light shine through us, and yet it can be a very hard thing to do, least of all, all the time. i believe in God, i believe that Jesus came and died on the cross to take my sin far from me, and i believe that He will get me through this tumultuous time!!! and yet, it is difficult to constantly be happy.

everyone has down days... some more often than others. but i also believe we shouldnt put a facade on about how we are feeling!!! if we are going to show God's love and be able witnesses to His Word, we need to be able to meet other where they are. i know that if i observed a person who was always happy i wouldnt want to tell them what was bothering me. id feel inadequate for my constant failings and would feel like they woudnt understand where i was coming from.

i believe we need to be real. what is important is not going around pretending everything's perfect and hunky-dorey, rather showing that we do also have weaknesses and failings and how God helps us through!!! cos He will... He told us He'd never leave us nor forsake us. it's in how we deal with our issues and how we work to overcome them in God's strength.

"i can do all things through Him who gives me strength". Philippians 4.13

i know i will be able to overcome my struggles with God right there by my side. and i really just want to encourage anyone else who feels like there's no way out, that you cant overcome temptation, that you're not good enough to be a Christian. its not because we are good enough... we never will be, rather because God is sooooooo good to us!!!! we will get through these things that tear us down.

Bishop Charles H. Brent said, "Pray hardest when its hardest to pray." this is so true. persist in prayer, even if it feels like you are going nowhere... because there is no prayer that isnt significant to our Lord and Saviour!!!

PRAISE BE TO YOU OUR FATHER AND MAKER OF ALL THINGS!!! WE LOVE YOU AND WANT TO WORSHIP YOU AT ALL TIMES IN OUR LIVES!!! PLEASE HELP US TO BE REAL ABOUT WHAT WE'RE GOING THROUGH, AND HELP US TO TRUST IN YOUR PROMISE TO PROTECT US AND HELP US THROUGHT THE STORMS IN OUR LIVES. WHEN THE RAIN COMES HELP US TO SEEK REFUGE UNDER YOU, OUR ROCK, OUR SHIELD AND OUR SHELTER!!!! PRAISE BE TO YOU ALWAYS!!!! :love:

Back