Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Dating

mounty

You cant find a book of the Bible dedicated to dating guidelines, because people in those days did not date. Marriages were prearranged and there was no need for courtship. But the Bible does have clear principles that apply to dating and finding a future spouse.

You will become what your friends are, this includes your boyfriend or girlfriend.

Do not be misled : bad company corrupts good chracter.
1 Corinthians 15:33

You should never date a unbeliever.

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

2 Corinthians 6:14

You must steer clear from sexual immorality or fornication and remain pure untill marriage. How? by practicing self control and reading Gods Word.

But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for Gods holy people.

Ephesians 5:3

How can a young man keep his way pure? by living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart: and do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart that i might not sin against you.

Psalm 119:9-11

As always you must honor and obey your parents. Believe it or not, they have walked this road before you.

Honor your Father and your Mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

Exodus20:12

Great post sister mounty, thank you for sharing.

Ephesians 6:10-18

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

I have just a quick question about dating unbelievers. Doesn't it also say in 1 Corinthians 7:12-14 that "To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy."

I don't understand. If it's about dating why did you put down marriage quotes in your post as well?

(Just plain curiosity is all; I'm really actually quite curious.)

I am confused -can anyone help??

(First of all THAnK YOU Mounty for great insight!!)

I just have a question to the 1 Corinthians 15:33. It tells us, if I understand correctly, that we must not start friendships with unbelievers as they might corrupt us.

You will become what your friends are, this includes your boyfriend or girlfriend.

Do not be misled : bad company corrupts good chracter.
1 Corinthians 15:33

But how are we supposed to lead unbelievers to christ if we dont first befriend them? Jesus wants us to go out into the world and be witnesses for him. We cant do this if we hide in church and keep clear of those who need Jesus the most!

"But when the Holy Spirit comes to you, you will receive power. You will be my witnesses -in Jerusalem, in all of Judea, in Samaria, and in every part of the world." Acts 1:8

"Jesus said to his followers, "Go everywhere in the world and tell the Good News to everyone." Mark 16:15

In Luke 15 Jesus also sits with sinners and eats with them:

"Look this man welcomes sinners and even eats with them."

Maybe I do not understand these verses correctly? I would greatly appreciate if anybody can help!

LovE4jESUs:love:

Back