Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

How do you overcome Tempatations?

David4joy

Dear ones,

I am a teenager. I would like to know your experiences in dealing with temptations as I am going through those.

Thanks in advance.

2 Timothy 2:22 " Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart."

Ephesians " 5:15 - 17 "See that you walk circumspectedly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time because the days are evil......
...... ....... ..... be filled with the Holy Spirit"

Ephesians 6:10-17 " ...be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
Put on the whole armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. ........................................................................
praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, ..........."

Galatians 2:20 " I have been crucified with Christ; It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me."

1 Thessalonians 4:3 " For this is the will of God, your santification;
For God did not call us to uncleanness, but in holiness."

John 17:17 " Santify them in the truth; Your word is truth."

Psalm 119:9 " How can young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word."

John 14:23 "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; And my Father will love him and We will come to him and make Our home with him"

Romans 12:1,2 " I bessech you therefore, bretheren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God which is your reasonable service.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

Romans 13:13,14 " Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkedness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy.
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision for the flesh to fulfill its lusts"

1 Corinthians 10:13 " No temptation has overtaken you except such is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it."

2 Corinthians 4:8-10 " We are hard-pressed on every side yet not crushed; we are perplexed but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed - always carrying in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh"

Colossians 3:1-3 " If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.
Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.
For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God."

This only adds to Gideon's response :)

Mark 14:38
38" Keep watching and praying that you may not come into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Matthew 6:9-13
9"Pray, then, in this way:
'Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10'Your kingdom come
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
11'Give us this day our daily bread.
12'And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.'

Hope you never fall into temptation David4Joy,
be strong like king David, David4Joy

temptation sucks. but it will make us stronger in the end. i suppose it depends on the temptation that you're facing. but for me, and the temptation to cut, i try and distract myself from what is pulling me down and i involve my hands in things that dont provide opportunity. things like drawing, reading the Bible, writing a journal... etc. if we ask God (as you've no doubt read in the above posts) he will be faithful and get us through. he never will leave us nor forsake us and through him we can do anything becos he will give us strength!!!! God bless ya,
Your Sister in Christ,
4H

Gideon, That's Wonderful

Thank you Gideon for the valuable verses.
During my school days, I have visited Kerala. - Palakkad
Where do you live in Kerala

It's not easy.
And well.. when I'm going through temptation it's hard to focus on Jesus to get stronger and being patience. I go to college here, and I feel like I'm the only Christian in the whole place. So there's none other christian who can ever say a word of encouragement when I'm there, if I'm down, or whatever.
I feel very lonely there. In Chile there's not such a thing like Christian college.
I only get together with my christian friends on fridays to youth group and on sundays, to sunday service..
So during the week I see myself very exposed to temptation...

and well... lately I've been going through a lot of temtation, I was far away from Jesus love, and I started sinning and well....
All I know now, is that we must always be patience, and just look for strength, inconditional love and encouragement in Jesus.
There's no other who can make us be complete and give us the army to fight the battle here in Earth.
Also have brothers and sisters in faith who can be another way God help us.
Just waiting in Jesus love, like prayer, worship and reading the Bible.. Even if is hard and you feel like it doesn't work,... will keep you away from sinning.
And of course, if the desire of your heart is to follow God, and be in His will.

Blessings!!

Haynaru

i know what you going. until 2 month ago i thought or knew i am the ONLY christian in my city. maybe i am the only one who is TRUE christian..
but you should remember also that there are people who are in lower life in christ i mean no christian freinds and stuff like that. i think its prevliage (or whatever it is spelled) maybe god want YOU to be there.
i know what you going through but try to avoid of this sometimes its hard for me 2 but i found out that most of time if i think about something else it pass away. its hard i know espicialy for boys.
i pray for all of us to get over from temptations.
Haynaru said:
It's not easy.
And well.. when I'm going through temptation it's hard to focus on Jesus to get stronger and being patience. I go to college here, and I feel like I'm the only Christian in the whole place. So there's none other christian who can ever say a word of encouragement when I'm there, if I'm down, or whatever.
I feel very lonely there. In Chile there's not such a thing like Christian college.
I only get together with my christian friends on fridays to youth group and on sundays, to sunday service..
So during the week I see myself very exposed to temptation...
and well... lately I've been going through a lot of temtation, I was far away from Jesus love, and I started sinning and well....
All I know now, is that we must always be patience, and just look for strength, inconditional love and encouragement in Jesus.
There's no other who can make us be complete and give us the army to fight the battle here in Earth.
Also have brothers and sisters in faith who can be another way God help us.
Just waiting in Jesus love, like prayer, worship and reading the Bible.. Even if is hard and you feel like it doesn't work,... will keep you away from sinning.
And of course, if the desire of your heart is to follow God, and be in His will.
Blessings!!
Haynaru

Temptations, I face them everyday!
I get tempted to lie for freinds (as a teen, its hard to be with out one), get tempted to disobey my parents (even the slightest thing matters), get caught up in a gossip and tempted to participate (men! do people talk about others or what including me).
I used to say... I will do this and that! But I know, I cant do none of them coz as our sister/brother quoted... the flesh is weak. So I just let God lead me! mold me... make me stronger!
I pray that God shows me the way (sometimes its hard to tell if I am being tempted to do something bad or if it is bad at all). With out the holy spirit... we will all fail! One tool to flee temptation is prayer!!!! Its hard to pray as a teen... its like "the time taking and boring" part of christianity... but it is not. Its actually fun!! And you come closer to Jesus each day!!
When something comes up, I say "should I or should I not" it hard to hear God with all the voice in your head... but I say, "GOd! speak to me.. and he does and you just recognize it" some other voice says something else after that, but I just know which voice speaks of the truth!!

j4jh said:
i know what you going. until 2 month ago i thought or knew i am the ONLY christian in my city. maybe i am the only one who is TRUE christian..
but you should remember also that there are people who are in lower life in christ i mean no christian freinds and stuff like that. i think its prevliage (or whatever it is spelled) maybe god want YOU to be there.
i know what you going through but try to avoid of this sometimes its hard for me 2 but i found out that most of time if i think about something else it pass away. its hard i know espicialy for boys.
i pray for all of us to get over from temptations.

I agree dear j4jh, I know that God may have a purpose for me being the only christian as I think I am, I hope i'mj wrong about it.
But yes, It's hard to feel like I'm the only one... but that also makes me a lot stronger to temptation in this evironment.
You learn to always think twice before making any desition about doing something.

I encourage you to be stronger in Jesus, as you say for being a boy its a lot harder... so Pray for god to give you strenght and to lead you into His path.
If we are the only ones, let's be light in the middle of this darkness.

Blessing dear brother!

Your sis

Patty

Jesus loves

its hard i agree to go through temptation.. u intend to do something but then you do something totally different.. the things you want to do your end up doing the opposite.. its crazii but one fings for sure wenevr i go through this, the lord has always made his presence felt even wen i was d worst or worst sinners.. he has never left me though i did not deserve his mercy .. even wen u dun realise ur sinfulness or you intentionally do it he will stand by you ready to forgive you .. i guess that is his loving nature.. be confident and walk with Jesus ..

Back