Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

1. Prayer Requests

New Community Design

Thinking about doing a refresh design for Talk Jesus community here, possibly using a different software platform as well to replace the current. It'll still remain a "forum" software nonetheless. Please vote at this poll and share your feedback.

View Poll

Dismiss Notice
  2. Featured Thread

There is a lot of noise, lots of "religions" and beliefs out there to confuse anyone. But, Jesus is real. He loves you, He's ready to forgive you for all your sins and make your heart His dwelling place. Read about God's characteristics and attributes and get to know the real Jesus today.

How do I accept Jesus as my Savior?
    How To Be Friends With God
    Why believe in Christianity?
    The Attributes of God

View the Seeking Jesus forum

Dismiss Notice
  3. Prayer Requests

Facing Our Loneliness

Everyone has lonely moments in life, but when loneliness begins to define our lives, it causes serious problems. We compromise our principles to try to fill the emotional emptiness. We choose behavior that harms our health, relationships, and finances. The consequences can be devastating. Learn how God desires to fulfill every longing you have for meaningful connection.

View This Discussion

Dismiss Notice

Is profanity a sin?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by B-A-C, Jun 12, 2017.

1. I'm talking about cussing, cursing, profanity here. Not curses as in being "cursed" by God.
    But curse words.

Matt 15:11; It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man.”

Unfortunately some Christians are the most prolific cursers I know. They love Jesus, but every other word
    out of their mouth is the "F" word or another just as bad.

Matt 15:18; But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man.

Rom 3:12; All have turned aside, together they have become useless;
    There is none who does good, There is not even one.”
    Rom 3:13; “Their throat is an open grave,
    With their tongues they keep deceiving,” “The poison of asps is under their lips”;
    Rom 3:14; “Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness”;

Eph 4:29[ Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.
    Eph 4:30; Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

Do the words we say grieve the Holy Spirit sometimes? Do we speak "unwholesomely"?

James 3:6; And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.
    James 3:8; But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.
    James 3:9; With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God;
    James 3:10; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.
    James 3:11; Does a fountain send out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water?

Is bitter (sewer) water coming from your mouth?

Sue J Love likes this.
  2. @B-A-C
    When I was young and knew God only as a devout Catholic, I formed the habit of never using the words to which you refer even though most or even all of my friends did.

Not until I was an active duty soldier in Viet Nam did my need to be like my fellows overcome my resistance to such speech. For that year I slipped that way, but when after 12 months I returned home and was released from active duty, my heart smote me when such words wanted to come to my tongue. I wasn't really directly serving God during any of this time [I had backslid from even Catholicism after high school (1961 grad)], but I had made a vow to God when I was about 10 years old to be faithful to Him.

When I got out of the army in 1966 at age 22 I wasn't serving God, but my vow to Him was still there in my heart and I returned to it never again to leave regularly [This means that on rare occasions I slipped for a moment or so.]

God does work with people who are not serving Him or even trying to serve or who are trying to serve Him wrong. I worked hard to run myself into the pits of hell, but God kept me from the worst me until I was ready to repent and really work to be on his side. That began in 1976 at age 32. I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost that year and began for the first time in my life to read the Bible.

I have had to fight many battles since then in my walk, but the battle of words which are in themselves profane was no longer among them. Now, with all who serve God I am an overcomer in part, but eventually with God's help I will overcome all my world as did Jesus.

Give God the glory!

Wired 4 Fishen, B-A-C and Sue J Love like this.
  3. @amadeus2 - Thank you for that testimony! So encouraging to read how God worked in your heart and life. God's grace is amazing!

Wired 4 Fishen likes this.
  4. What really bothers me is hearing Christians use God's (Jesus') name in vain. When they say OMG, it is just a phrase they use without even thought that they are using the name of God. They are not calling on God (not usually).

Wired 4 Fishen, amadeus2 and B-A-C like this.
  5. I agree, not much difference between cursing and using the name of the Lord in vain. Another popular one is ... "Jeez" or Jeez Louise, or Jesus H Christ.
    (where did the H come from?)

Exod 20:7; "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

Sue J Love likes this.
  6. Another, Amen, on this. People are often quite good insofar as I am able to see use such expressions regularly probably intending no discredit nor insult to God, but this very apathetic attitude is nonetheless an discredit or insult to God, is it not?

When I went to West Germany as a student in 1969-1970 the first few weeks were spent in Bavaria in southern Germany. The regular greeting that most everyone used and understood was "Grüss Gott". People were simply saying "hello" and apparently the words went back to a time when many Germans were good Christians. It literally means, "Great God" or "God is great". Of course, at the time, while I understood these things, I wasn't serving God and did not consider it as an affront or insult to God. Really it was just like the "OMG" that Sue J Love mentioned and other similar expressions used in English. The verse that fits well here is this one:

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." Matt 12:36

Sue J Love likes this.
  7. It doesnt come out of mine but my workmates and boss swear a lot. I just tell them they need a swear jar or owe me a pie.

Actually my boss has gotten better and Ive noticed he isnt swearing (cursing) so much when he gets frustrated or angry anymore, since I called him up on it.

Sent from a mobile device
    Christ4Ever and amadeus2 like this.
  8. Simply setting a good example by never doing it yourself is also a good way to let people see and notice a difference. Believers who simply don't know better and are not purposely intended evil against God may become convicted by your example to change their ways. Unbelievers may add that to the things already in their hearts which favor God. One day, one of them may ask you questions which will mean his/her heart is opening up to hearing God's Truth.

9. Profanity to me would be something I would never want to take part in as a believer. The scripture states the both life and death are within the power of the tongue. Other scriptures states we are to distance ourselves from all filth and darkness. To speak profanity is really filthy. What comes out of the mouth actually is evidence of what our inner spiritual condition is. So, yes I do believe profanity is sin and not only should we not participate in it we should flee from its temptations.