Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Is the 'Glee' in You?

Ncdataman

Is the 'Glee' in You?

The musical set at a high school has its dark side, but these students with a song in their hearts are fun to watch.*

Such is the description of the Fox show Glee, which has a lot of people texting, tweeting, and talking about. I must admit that at first I figured this show to be a lame TV version of another rather popular high school musical story called...well, you know.

But I stand corrected. Glee is definitely and defiantly not life at East High, rather it is an insightful, sarcastic, and downright enjoyable journey through senior high existence.

Enjoyable for me anyway - because I'm done with high school, so I'm out of the lame games, drama, and mean boy/girl interactions that I'm sure most of you reading this are painfully aware of. So maybe that's why it's popular with teens? As someone once said - "misery loves company" - and there are a lot of characters we can connect with in Glee.

Most of the principle characters are not who would be voted into the 'most popular on campus' sort of deal. In fact, the place where this crowd hangs out was dubbed the 'sub-basement' by the head cheerleader - and I doubt she meant that as a compliment.

So let's play a little comparison game. If you were able to choose, would you rather go to East High with Troy and all the gang, or does McKinley High with Kurt and Mercedes seem more like your style?
For me, I think both high schools would be fun, but in the end I think I'm going with McKinley...why? Well, what was true of me when I was a teen is still true now as a senior high teacher - I like the Glee Club students.

Sure, I get along with the other cliques, but the group of students that doesn't seem to fit in reminds me of what it means to be a Christian in this external image focused, materialistic, shallow values, pleasure-seeking world. We've decided not to play the popularity game, and we realize that oftentimes the cost of 'fitting in' is not worth the compromising price tag.

Here's the way the Apostle Paul explained it to a group of believers who were starting to make the church into a clique oriented carbon copy of the world:

My dear friends, remember what you were when God chose you. The people of this world didn't think that many of you were wise. Only a few of you were in places of power, and not many of you came from important families. But God chose the foolish things of this world to put the wise to shame. He chose the weak things of this world to put the powerful to shame.

What the world thinks is worthless, useless, and nothing at all is what God has used to destroy what the world considers important. God did all this to keep anyone from bragging to him. You are God's children. He sent Christ Jesus to save us and to make us wise, acceptable, and holy. So if you want to brag, do what the Scriptures say and brag about the Lord (1 Corinthians 1:26-30).

See what I mean? Paul is basically telling them (and us) that we are the Christian Glee Club. He didn't call us to follow Christ because we had anything to offer, actually just the opposite. We are the 'losers' who deep inside carry incredible gifts and talents that He wants to use to change the world.

So if you're feeling like you live in the 'sub-basement' of this world, be loud and proud that " you are God's children. He sent Christ Jesus to save us and to make us wise, acceptable, and holy."

And remember, most if not all, school campuses have a 'glee club' of sorts. Students who truly believe that not a soul in the universe loves them or believes in them. But you can change that! Start a Christian Glee Club at your school that isn't all about the performing, but about proclaiming the good news that Jesus Christ loves them, died for them, and wants to have a forever relationship with them.

Back