Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Is this right?

Alot of people have been saying, it's by grace not by works.
Which is true but are people taking it out of context?

Some people seem to be who curse, smoke, drink etc. But who are proclaimed christians. My question is should people be doing these things. Because we are saved by grace not works.They say that nobody's perfect which is true, but not to be taken this way.

Is it right to say hey I can do these things.Because it's not by works that I'm saved but grace? Personally I do not agree with this liberty(cursing,smoking etc.) but it is still a pondering subject . I do not judge anyone but is there any thoughts on this?

And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise
grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no
more grace: otherwise work is no more work."
Romans 11:6, KJV

Last edited:
I think you may have misunderstood sister. Works are not sin. Smoking, cursing, lying, stealing that is called sin. It's not called works.

A work is when you do something. Let me give you an example.

I go out today and start preaching on the streets that people should be saved. I help my mother with the groceries. I fix someones car.

That is works.

Now some people think if you do works "good deeds" you will earn your salvation that way. This is what the Pharisees thought. They thought that they could be saved by God by doing things, work things.

Now God tells us in the Bible. He saved us by grace, which is a gift, so that we should not boast and say we worked for it. We can't save ourselves, only God can.

Ephesians 2:8-10 NASB
8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

By works, feeding the poor, donating money, walking door to door giving out tracts and going to church every sunday.
Those are examples of works.

curse, smoke, drink etc are fruits of the flesh, not of God.

When we become Christians we are told to put off the old self, and renew ourselves with fruits of the spirit.

Those actions are not considered works.

Brother Teraside, is right.

I guess I was writing as you posted this.

Great minds think alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

Thanks you guys all of this insight is very true. It is not so much that I don't understand. But the people that I talk to or hear.Who believe they are christians and can do these things.I had difficulty really explaining but this insight will help me explain all the more.

Thanks and God Bless All

Last edited:
When you receive the saving grace of God, you will strive to live for Him. We can give to charities all our life and live the best we can, but without God's saving grace we will go to hell. Maybe some of those people you talk about are Christians that need help to get right with God, and maybe some of them are those that say Lord, Lord and will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Just shine your light and pray for them. God Bless

Matthew 7:21
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." KJV

Back