• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Missing Bible Verses, Harper Collins, More

Administrator
Staff Member
Compiled info, quotes, links with the help of my moderators on these subjects. We're going to look at this from different angles: alertness, informative, factual, conclusion.

Quick Facts

Harper Collins (publishing company) owns the NIV (by Zondervan), The Satanic Bible, The Joy of Gay Sex book. Thomas Nelson (bible publications) is owned by News Corporation who own Harper Collins & Zondervan.
News Corporation - Wikipedia

The chairman of the NIV translation committee was an outspoken proud gay man called Dr. Marten Woudstra and one of the editors a lesbian- Virginia Mollenkott, For example the word 'sodomite' is omitted from the NIV. Harper Collins is the parent company.

List of Verses Omitted from other Bible Versions (NIV, ASV, NASB et. al.)

There are two highly regarded scholars who are considered among the best in bible schools but their roots and corruptions are ignored.

Gerhard Kittel - Wikipedia

Rudolf Bultmann - Wikipedia

Missing Verses
below info snippet from Which Bible verses did the NIV delete?

Matthew 12:47 -- removed in the footnotes

Matthew 17:21 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."

Matthew 18:11 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost."

Matthew 21:44 -- removed in the footnotes

Matthew 23:14 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."

Mark 7:16 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "If any man have ears to hear, let him hear."

Mark 9:44 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."

Mark 9:46 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."

Mark 11:26 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Mark 15:28 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors."

Mark 16:9-20 (all 12 verses) -- There is a line separating the last 12 verses of Mark from the main text. Right under the line it says: [The two most reliable early manuscripts do not have Mark 16:9-20] (NIV, 1978 ed.) The Jehovah's Witness "Bible" also places the last 12 verses of Mark as an appendix of sorts.

Luke 17:36 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."

Luke 22:44 -- removed in the footnotes

Luke 22:43 -- removed in the footnotes

Luke 23:17 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "(For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.)"

John 5:4 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had."

John 7:53-8:11 -- removed in the footnotes

Acts 8:37 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. It's deletion makes one think that people can be baptized and saved without believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. Sounds Catholic. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

Acts 15:34 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still."

Acts 24:7 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands,"

Acts 28:29 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves."

Romans 16:24 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."

I John 5:7 -- Vitally important phrase COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. In the NIV it says,
"For there are three that testify:"
Compare the NIV reading with the following Jehovah's Witness reading--
"For there are three witness bearers,"
What are you NIV readers missing? What does the real Bible say?
KJV: "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

This is one of the GREATEST verses testifying of the trinity. That is why the Jehovah's Witnesses leave it out. They do not believe in the trinity and they do not believe that Jesus is God. Why does the NIV leave it out...? Whole books have been written on the manuscript evidence that supports inclusion of this verse in the Bible. Reader, do you believe in the triunity of God? If so, then this deletion should offend you. People are playing around with the Bible and it ain't funny.

List of Bible verses not included in modern translations
List of Bible verses not included in modern translations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why are the newer translations of the Bible missing verses?
below article by gotquestions.org

If you compare the King James and New King James Versions with the newer translations (e.g. the New International Version, New American Standard, New Living Translation, etc.) - you will notice that several verses are entirely missing from the newer translations. Examples are John 5:4, Acts 8:37, and 1 John 5:7. Mark 16:9-20 is another example, although it is always placed in the text or in footnotes. Why do these translations not have these verses? Are the newer translations taking verses out of the Bible?

The answer is that the translators did not believe these verses should have been in the Bible to begin with. Since the KJV was translated in A.D. 1611, many Biblical manuscripts have been discovered that are older and more accurate than the manuscripts the KJV was based on. When Bible scholars researched through these manuscripts, they discovered some differences. It seems that over the course of 1500 years, some words, phrases, and even sentences were added to the Bible (either intentionally or accidentally). The verses mentioned above are simply not found in the oldest and most reliable manuscripts. So, the newer translations remove these verses or place them in footnotes or in the margin because they do not truly belong in the Bible.

It is important to remember, however, that the verses in question are of minor significance. None of them change in any way the crucial themes of the Bible, nor do they have any impact on the Bible’s doctrines—Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection, Christ as the only way of salvation, heaven and hell, sin and redemption, and the nature and character of God. These are preserved intact through the work of the Holy Spirit, who safeguards the Word of God for all generations.

On Those Missing Verses In Your ESV and NIV Bible

source: On Those Missing Verses In Your ESV and NIV Bible - Borrowed Light

While one cannot deny the affiliation between Zondervan and Harper Collins, there is not a “crusade geared towards altering the Bible”. I guess I should say, there is not a crusade towards altering the Bible that Crossway’s ESV and the original NIV are part of. So why the missing verses on your app or in your Bible?

Simple. Every one of these “missing verses” were not part of the original manuscripts.

Consider Matthew 17:21 for example. You will notice in your ESV a little note which says, “some manuscripts insert verse 21: But this kind never comes out except by prayer and fasting”. If you read this in a KJV you’ll notice it simply says, “Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting”. No footnotes or anything. So what gives?

In 1881 Westcott and Hort published a Greek New Testament using numerous ancient manuscripts which were not available to the original translators of the KJV—way back in 1611. When we discovered these ancient manuscripts we see that in a few places they didn’t square up with the existing manuscripts. In some places—like Matthew 17:21—the text was omitted in the older manuscript. When you run into one of these differences it is called a textual variant.

When you encounter one of these textual variants the interpreter/translator has to attempt to figure out why there is a difference in the text. And so why would newer manuscripts have Matthew 17:21 but older manuscripts not? Which would should we trust more?

Look at Mark 9:29 (even in your ESV and NIV Bibles) and you will notice a verse that sounds very similar to what was omitted in Matthew 17:21. Now is it possible that a copyists would have inserted material from Mark 9:29 to make it square with Matthew 17:21? Absolutely. In fact we find that this was actually a somewhat common practice.

So what most likely happened is that a well-meaning copyist somewhere along the way put Mark 9:29 here at Matthew 17:21 to get the two gospels to square up. And his error here was copied and copied and copied from that point forward. And so we conclude that Matthew 17:21 was quite likely not part of the original text. In order to be accurate to the original you won’t find it in your ESV Bible.

There is no plot to undermine the word of God. These are very conservative scholars that are doing the work of textual criticism to help us have the most accurate translation of the Bible as possible. And lest anyone think, with all this talk of textual variants, that your Bible cannot be trusted heed these words of David Alan Black:

“No biblical doctrine would go unsupported if a favorite reading was abandoned in favor of a more valid variant…a doctrine that is affected by textual variation will always be adequately supported by other passages.”

Rather than causing us to lose confidence in the reliability of Scripture the work of textual criticism helps us to be able to say with at least 95% accuracy that we know exactly what the original manuscripts stated. So don’t freak out and think that the NIV and ESV are being taken over by a group of people trying to hide God’s Word from you, in fact the opposite is true.

No one alive today has seen the originals. Just because you have an older manuscript doesn't make it right. That older one could have been filled with errors.

The older I get, the more I am convinced the KJV is right There are only two ways to explain the differences. Either words were added or words were taken away. Some of those words are pretty important in my opinion. I'd rather stick with what is tried and true. Sometimes newer versions convey the original thought better but in the end, I always go back to the kjv. I'd recommend using it for memory verses.

Loyal
Thanks Chad. The gotquestions piece is very helpful and gives a well-reasoned explanation for the differences.

Loyal
If Marten Woudstra was an outspoken proud gay man I would expect there to be some evidence of it. The best I can find is a line saying that the biblical case against homosexuality is not as strong and clear cut as many believe it is.

many Biblical manuscripts have been discovered that are older and more accurate than the manuscripts the KJV was based on.
These older manuscripts comprise 1% of the 5,000+ that we have therefore this says that the 99% are wrong and the 1% is correct. No thank you, I'll stick to the 99%.

In 1881 Westcott and Hort published a Greek New Testament using numerous ancient manuscripts which were not available to the original translators of the KJV—way back in 1611. When we discovered these ancient manuscripts we see that in a few places they didn’t square up with the existing manuscripts.
In the bibliographies written by their family members it is blatantly obvious that these men where not men of God and were also involved in the occult and mysticism. Once again the many referred to here is the 1%.

There is no plot to undermine the word of God.
The first words we read from Satan are "hath God Said" Gen 3:1, it is utter foolishness to believe that he is not still doing the same to God's Word.

Rather than causing us to lose confidence in the reliability of Scripture the work of textual criticism helps us to be able to say with at least 95% accuracy that we know exactly what the original manuscripts stated.
A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump 1Cor 5:6. Satan is behind the polluting of God's word, most is left as truth but it is the error that is mingled which is dangerous. God promised to preserve his word Psa 12:6-7 and if you think he can part the Red sea, raise the dead, conquer sin, etc. and yet has not the power to preserve his Word then I want no part of the fallible god you are presenting. My God is true to his word, promised to preserve it and warned against the error that was already present in Paul's day. As a side note Every version of the Bible outside of the AKJV has a copyright on the scripture portion and that can only be obtained by either adding to, taking away or altering what is said to a predetermined degree to acquire the copyright. Don't take my word though go search it out and seek the Holly Ghost but know this if your heart is already hardened toward this subject God will probably just harden it more for you as he did with Pharaoh.

Loyal
The first words we read from Satan are "hath God Said" Gen 3:1, it is utter foolishness to believe that he is not still doing the same to God's Word..

Satan is behind the polluting of God's word, most is left as truth but it is the error that is mingled which is dangerous. God promised to preserve his word Psa 12:6-7

I TOTALLY AGREE :thumbsup:

Satan comes to steal that which God has given us. We are not free of false teachers today.

How can we be sure the texts are more accurate just because they are older?

2 Peter 2:1-3 (KJV)
1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgement now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
2 Peter 2:1-3 (NKJV)
1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.
2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed.
3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgement has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.

John 8:44 (KJV) Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
John 8:44 (NKJV) You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.

Matthew 5:18 (KJV) For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Matthew 5:18 (NKJV) For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

As stated above, how do they know, how can they be certain, that the older scripts are more accurate than those we have already?

Heavenly Father, we pray the version of Bible we read is True to Your Word, please reveal to us the secrets of your heart and guide us in all Truth by the Power of Your Holy Spirit.. Through Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour we pray. Amen

Loyal
I myself have a Bible that is over 300 years old (from my great grandmother).
There are at least 3 Bible in existence from the 7th century, 1 is at the Vatican, one is in the US Smithsonian.
We also have quite a bit of scripture from the dead sea scrolls (1st century). Admittedly it's not 100%, but the scripture we do have
is amazingly close to the dead sea scrolls. Literally dozens of scholars, scientists, (both Christian and Atheist) have poured over these
in minute detail. I myself also have a (soft cover reprint) copy of the dead sea scrolls.

Yes, there are many Bible versions out there... and some that call themselves the Bible, or make themselves out to be more important than the Bible).
The are feminist Bibles, Gay Bibles, Universalist Bibles, the Book of Mormon, and even Satanic Bibles...
But there is only 1 Word of God. I have 16 different translations. For the most part they all say the same thing.
There is some mis-information in the OP. For example it gives 4 scriptures it says are missing from most newer translations.
It even names these translations.. the NLT and NASB. Yet none of those verses are missing either of those translations. They are however
missing from the NIV.

Staff Member
If Marten Woudstra was an outspoken proud gay man I would expect there to be some evidence of it. The best I can find is a line saying that the biblical case against homosexuality is not as strong and clear cut as many believe it is.

I won't say he was necessarily an outspoken proud gay man but it seems that there is more to it then a single line reference :thumbsup:

I would say there is enough to see the correlation between what the NIV chose to leave out and this mans tendencies toward the homosexual lifestyle and the position he held. You'll have to decide. Hope it provides you a bit more than the one line.

Article asserts that Dr. Marten Woudstra, Chairman NIV OT Committee, was a Sodomite/Homosexual

YBIC
C4E
<><

I use to believe the KJV was the only English translation of Gods word. I do not believe that anymore. There is a lot of controversy about this subject. Psalm 12:5-7 is not about the KJV. It's about the people in that Psalm being protected from David's generation. It's easy to see. Most of the proponents of the KJV only movement, that I personally know, are mean spirited. They want people to doubt Gods word. They break Gods commandments for their own traditions.

Most of the proponents of the KJV only movement, that I personally know, are mean spirited. They want people to doubt Gods word. They break Gods commandments for their own traditions.
Yes unfortunately there are many caustic people who support the KJV, there are also many caustic people who oppose it. In like manner many Christians are hypocrites but does it make God/Christ any less real?
I do not understand how you think they want people to doubt Gods word. The KJV only push is centered on the belief that there is an inerrant word of God and an intent to bring people to that inerrant word.
Lastly I am curious about your last statement, how is it that they are breaking God's commandment. Also thank you for your participation in this conversation.

Active

RJ

Compiled info, quotes, links with the help of my moderators on these subjects. We're going to look at this from different angles: alertness, informative, factual, conclusion.

Quick Facts

Harper Collins (publishing company) owns the NIV (by Zondervan), The Satanic Bible, The Joy of Gay Sex book. Thomas Nelson (bible publications) is owned by News Corporation who own Harper Collins & Zondervan.
News Corporation - Wikipedia

The chairman of the NIV translation committee was an outspoken proud gay man called Dr. Marten Woudstra and one of the editors a lesbian- Virginia Mollenkott, For example the word 'sodomite' is omitted from the NIV. Harper Collins is the parent company.

List of Verses Omitted from other Bible Versions (NIV, ASV, NASB et. al.)

There are two highly regarded scholars who are considered among the best in bible schools but their roots and corruptions are ignored.

Gerhard Kittel - Wikipedia

Rudolf Bultmann - Wikipedia

Missing Verses
below info snippet from Which Bible verses did the NIV delete?

Matthew 12:47 -- removed in the footnotes

Matthew 17:21 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."

Matthew 18:11 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost."

Matthew 21:44 -- removed in the footnotes

Matthew 23:14 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."

Mark 7:16 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "If any man have ears to hear, let him hear."

Mark 9:44 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."

Mark 9:46 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."

Mark 11:26 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Mark 15:28 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors."

Mark 16:9-20 (all 12 verses) -- There is a line separating the last 12 verses of Mark from the main text. Right under the line it says: [The two most reliable early manuscripts do not have Mark 16:9-20] (NIV, 1978 ed.) The Jehovah's Witness "Bible" also places the last 12 verses of Mark as an appendix of sorts.

Luke 17:36 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."

Luke 22:44 -- removed in the footnotes

Luke 22:43 -- removed in the footnotes

Luke 23:17 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "(For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.)"

John 5:4 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had."

John 7:53-8:11 -- removed in the footnotes

Acts 8:37 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. It's deletion makes one think that people can be baptized and saved without believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. Sounds Catholic. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

Acts 15:34 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still."

Acts 24:7 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands,"

Acts 28:29 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves."

Romans 16:24 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
KJV: "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."

I John 5:7 -- Vitally important phrase COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. In the NIV it says,
"For there are three that testify:"
Compare the NIV reading with the following Jehovah's Witness reading--
"For there are three witness bearers,"
What are you NIV readers missing? What does the real Bible say?
KJV: "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

This is one of the GREATEST verses testifying of the trinity. That is why the Jehovah's Witnesses leave it out. They do not believe in the trinity and they do not believe that Jesus is God. Why does the NIV leave it out...? Whole books have been written on the manuscript evidence that supports inclusion of this verse in the Bible. Reader, do you believe in the triunity of God? If so, then this deletion should offend you. People are playing around with the Bible and it ain't funny.

List of Bible verses not included in modern translations
List of Bible verses not included in modern translations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why are the newer translations of the Bible missing verses?
below article by gotquestions.org

If you compare the King James and New King James Versions with the newer translations (e.g. the New International Version, New American Standard, New Living Translation, etc.) - you will notice that several verses are entirely missing from the newer translations. Examples are John 5:4, Acts 8:37, and 1 John 5:7. Mark 16:9-20 is another example, although it is always placed in the text or in footnotes. Why do these translations not have these verses? Are the newer translations taking verses out of the Bible?

The answer is that the translators did not believe these verses should have been in the Bible to begin with. Since the KJV was translated in A.D. 1611, many Biblical manuscripts have been discovered that are older and more accurate than the manuscripts the KJV was based on. When Bible scholars researched through these manuscripts, they discovered some differences. It seems that over the course of 1500 years, some words, phrases, and even sentences were added to the Bible (either intentionally or accidentally). The verses mentioned above are simply not found in the oldest and most reliable manuscripts. So, the newer translations remove these verses or place them in footnotes or in the margin because they do not truly belong in the Bible.

It is important to remember, however, that the verses in question are of minor significance. None of them change in any way the crucial themes of the Bible, nor do they have any impact on the Bible’s doctrines—Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection, Christ as the only way of salvation, heaven and hell, sin and redemption, and the nature and character of God. These are preserved intact through the work of the Holy Spirit, who safeguards the Word of God for all generations.

On Those Missing Verses In Your ESV and NIV Bible

source: On Those Missing Verses In Your ESV and NIV Bible - Borrowed Light

While one cannot deny the affiliation between Zondervan and Harper Collins, there is not a “crusade geared towards altering the Bible”. I guess I should say, there is not a crusade towards altering the Bible that Crossway’s ESV and the original NIV are part of. So why the missing verses on your app or in your Bible?

Simple. Every one of these “missing verses” were not part of the original manuscripts.

Consider Matthew 17:21 for example. You will notice in your ESV a little note which says, “some manuscripts insert verse 21: But this kind never comes out except by prayer and fasting”. If you read this in a KJV you’ll notice it simply says, “Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting”. No footnotes or anything. So what gives?

In 1881 Westcott and Hort published a Greek New Testament using numerous ancient manuscripts which were not available to the original translators of the KJV—way back in 1611. When we discovered these ancient manuscripts we see that in a few places they didn’t square up with the existing manuscripts. In some places—like Matthew 17:21—the text was omitted in the older manuscript. When you run into one of these differences it is called a textual variant.

When you encounter one of these textual variants the interpreter/translator has to attempt to figure out why there is a difference in the text. And so why would newer manuscripts have Matthew 17:21 but older manuscripts not? Which would should we trust more?

Look at Mark 9:29 (even in your ESV and NIV Bibles) and you will notice a verse that sounds very similar to what was omitted in Matthew 17:21. Now is it possible that a copyists would have inserted material from Mark 9:29 to make it square with Matthew 17:21? Absolutely. In fact we find that this was actually a somewhat common practice.

So what most likely happened is that a well-meaning copyist somewhere along the way put Mark 9:29 here at Matthew 17:21 to get the two gospels to square up. And his error here was copied and copied and copied from that point forward. And so we conclude that Matthew 17:21 was quite likely not part of the original text. In order to be accurate to the original you won’t find it in your ESV Bible.

There is no plot to undermine the word of God. These are very conservative scholars that are doing the work of textual criticism to help us have the most accurate translation of the Bible as possible. And lest anyone think, with all this talk of textual variants, that your Bible cannot be trusted heed these words of David Alan Black:

“No biblical doctrine would go unsupported if a favorite reading was abandoned in favor of a more valid variant…a doctrine that is affected by textual variation will always be adequately supported by other passages.”

Rather than causing us to lose confidence in the reliability of Scripture the work of textual criticism helps us to be able to say with at least 95% accuracy that we know exactly what the original manuscripts stated. So don’t freak out and think that the NIV and ESV are being taken over by a group of people trying to hide God’s Word from you, in fact the opposite is true.
Use several of the most commonly translations used. if you are a true Christian with Jesus Christ living in you, he will lead to all truth. The most important thing is to stay in the word of God and with him you will have a good enough grasp of the gospel that saves!

Loyal
Use several of the most commonly translations used. if you are a true Christian with Jesus Christ living in you, he will lead to all truth. The most important thing is to stay in the word of God and with him you will have a good enough grasp of the gospel that saves!

That is so true brother but...

It is still good to read 2 or 3 translations. Simply because they are translations. Also because they are translations of Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic, also because they are translations of another culture in another time zone.

But also because we all say things differently. Your dinner is ready, your dinner is on the table, come get your dinner. They all say basically the same thing but, when reading a verse before or a verse after it can speak to us differently.

There is a lot of sense, I think, in reading 2 or 3 translations. It is also good because whilst reading 2 or 3 translations we haven't yet picked up a commentary, concordance, etc. Let the Word speak to our hearts and may we be open to the Holy Spirit.

Staff Member
if you are a true Christian with Jesus Christ living in you, he will lead to all truth. The most important thing is to stay in the word of God and with him you will have a good enough grasp of the gospel that saves!

Hello Brother @RJ !
Caught my eye in reading what you posted and something that a person reviewing the Message Bible said about the author Eugene Peterson.

Which leads me to asking a question. First I'll present what the reviewer said, in maybe not so many words. "There is no doubt in my mind that he (Eugene Peterson) is a Brother in Christ Jesus. No doubt at all. All who have met him, have seen a gentle, sincerely caring man. So don't take this critique on the Message Bible, as a condemnation of the man."

Now looking at what you have written and what the above reviewer stated. My question is as follows.

Is it possible that a Believer on the path to all truth through Christ Jesus, capable of leading even by example someone who is not saved further rather then closer to the truth?

@Brother-Paul
Your dinner is ready, your dinner is on the table, come get your dinner. They all say basically the same thing but, when reading a verse before or a verse after it can speak to us differently.

One question. Is that really what is being talked about here?

YBIC
C4E
<><

Active

RJ

s it possible that a Believer on the path to all truth through Christ Jesus, capable of leading even by example someone who is not saved further rather then closer to the truth?
No, we are the Sower. We can bring them to water but can't make them drink. Just plant the seed and let Jesus do his work. Like I said, and I think we agree, more than one translation is better, especially for study. The Message is the Bible; I have yet to find an untruth in it and, by no means, is there anything there that could lead anyone away from the truth. If you think there is something there that would lead a person away from Jesus, please let me know!

No, we are the Sower. We can bring them to water but can't make them drink. Just plant the seed and let Jesus do his work. Like I said, and I think we agree, more than one translation is better, especially for study. The Message is the Bible; I have yet to find an untruth in it and, by no means, is there anything there that could lead anyone away from the truth. If you think there is something there that would lead a person away from Jesus, please let me know!

RJ,
Christ4Ever is saying exactly what you are saying. so don't say "No'. Say yes!
And are you referring to the Translation of "The Message"? That is one of the worst translations to read. (KJV is the most recommended.)
And yes there are things that can lead a person away from Jesus Christ. Have you heard of an Atheist? Have you heard of Satan? Abortion? Murder? Of course there are things that can lead us away. But only if we chose to follow them.

Loyal
Your dinner is ready, your dinner is on the table, come get your dinner. They all say basically the same thing but, when reading a verse before or a verse after it can speak to us differently.

@Brother-Paul
One question. Is that really what is being talked about here?

YBIC
C4E
<><

Yes I think it is Christ4Ever, so often verses are quoted out of context.

There are many verses that say if we believe on the Lord we are saved. Take what is probably the best known verse in the Bible, John 3:16, I don't need to add it but hear it is...

John 3:16 (KJV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

A person can say, yes I believe in Jesus, even the muslims believe in Jesus, as a prophet.

But if we read John 3:1-21 we see clearly, John 3:16 we must believe in Jesus, but it also states 'very clearly', John 3:3, before 3:16, that we must be Born Again.'

Quoting single verses is not a problem if quoting them in context. To avoid quoting out of context we should not just read the verses just before or just after but the full section, if not full chapter. It is also a very good idea, I believe, to read several translations. I read the KJV, NKJV, NIV, NJB and CJB translations mainly. When two or three are gathered together... the message is often clearer.

It also concerns me when a church teaches from 'their own' Bible, RC do it, JW do it. JW preach chosen verses from the KJV to lure people to their net then teach from their Bibles. Why, because they want people to believe their way is right. We owe it to ourselves to be sure what we believe is correct and the best way is to read several translations starting with KJV or NKJV.

Coming back to the reply message, to say, 'Your dinner is ready, your dinner is on the table or come get your dinner', although they may say the same thing on their own, when reading the verse/message before or after we may read; I just have to go shopping on my return I will make sure 'your dinner is on the table', or 'your dinner is ready' for you after you have watched the sport on TV, or 'come get your dinner' at my place about 7pm tonight.

These are simple everyday examples that show that if we do not read the full message we may not get the correct understanding, in the latter example may not even turn up at the right place.

When quoting God's Word to others it is imperative we are sharing the Good News correctly, going back to John 3:16 and other similar verses, a person may think they are saved, but John 3:3 says, 'they must be Born Again'. Context is vital, reading several Bible translations helps us share the Good News as it is intended. If we do not share the 'Truth' from God's Word, because we didn't share the message in the context it was intended, we could be sharing a lie and misguiding a lost soul.

Loyal
RJ,
Christ4Ever is saying exactly what you are saying. so don't say "No'. Say yes!
And are you referring to the Translation of "The Message"? That is one of the worst translations to read. (KJV is the most recommended.)
And yes there are things that can lead a person away from Jesus Christ. Have you heard of an Atheist? Have you heard of Satan? Abortion? Murder? Of course there are things that can lead us away. But only if we chose to follow them.

All of the items mentioned above lead a person away from Christ, as does Sin!

And all of these come from satan.

Staff Member
Yes I think it is Christ4Ever, so often verses are quoted out of context.

Quoting single verses is not a problem if quoting them in context. To avoid quoting out of context we should not just read the verses just before or just after but the full section, if not full chapter. It is also a very good idea, I believe, to read several translations. I read the KJV, NKJV, NIV, NJB and CJB translations mainly. When two or three are gathered together... the message is often clearer.

It also concerns me when a church teaches from 'their own' Bible, RC do it, JW do it. JW preach chosen verses from the KJV to lure people to their net then teach from their Bibles.

So you do have it right in having different versions/translations to use to get a better understanding of what is being communicated.

Yet, you would still as you yourself have noted have to exclude certain ones from the mix. As @Daniel Barendregt mentioned. I would include The Message (TM) in your list of ones to avoid as well. TM is another example where contextual evidence with in the same document would be useless in determining true significance of His written word. You'd need another reliable translation, and even doing this. You'd probably still wind up being more confused then when you first started!

YBIC
C4E
<><

Last edited: