Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Really long ....but a problem

Girl

Really long ..

sorry guys.

Ok, Firstly, I had no idea that I was going to type so much! I just got way to carried away, and im a reasonably fast typer…. before I knew it, I wrote all this!! Gosh.. I doubt you will read it all, but scan your eyes through it, and tell me…

is this ridiculous, or what?

My brother is much to spoilt

Firstly.... i just want to point out that he is only seven years old. Seven! Did we get that everybody...?? Make note of it, because its goes far beyond the norm for a child to be THIS spoilt.

My mother especially, is bad when it comes to saying "no". All he has to do is whinge, and carry on, and she gives in...just like that. .... for real.

So the reason for writing this, is because I’m really annoyed in my mothers lack of authority here... Last week, we went to the city (shopping centre).. I spent the morning with my mum and bro.. We go very rarely, but because Christmas is so soon.... well, we had to go... get things out of the way.. And I’m saying this, because this is a good thing!! If we were able to go out of town more often, we would probably go broke!!

So any hoot.. we entered our first store. It had electrical bots and pieces.. computers and gadgets. My brother got extremely excited when he saw the DVD players, and mother felt we needed another one.. (the last one, mind you, he broke..) She said it was for all of us to share..

So we are about to leave, and my brother spots the IPODS! He gets really, really excited... ! He notices how oh, so cool they look!!.. the nice shiny metallic colours……. the cool colour screen. He tells my mother he wants one.. My mother said no! (bravo!!) but he started to create a public scene.. At this point…… my mother looked at me and said.. "should i?" Which offcourse i responded in shock! "no way, are you kidding!!" She wasn’t kidding... I continued.. “MAAA! NO!..Im telling her how crazy she is for even thinking it!!”” And i start telling my brother that ipods are for big people. That they cost too much money.. (darn right... the cheapest being, like $250 man, and the most expensive going way, way up into the $500 zone.. and my brother liked the look of the 4.. or was it 3?... hundred and something dollars... People were looking at us (humiliating), and I told my mother to pay for the things she had and that I’ll deal with him. I told my brother no repeatedly, and unlike my mother, I’m not going to say yes, to keep the kid quite.

I was pretty disgusted at the time, that my mother was considering buying one.

So after we left the store, my brother would not stop talking about the silly Ipod! He said over and over!"" I want one ""!!! And was sulking. We took him into a sports store and he was being a real grump, and was not co-operating at all. So while my mother was doing some Christmas shopping, i tried to get my brother to focus his mind of the ipod, by talking to him about all sorts of fun stuff... and i have a way with my brother... I get really into my stories and make them exciting, and after about half an hour, he had forgotten all about the ipod.

So i thought it was time for me to go solo.. i had things i needed to do too. I had a word with my mother, and told her... ""Dont even think about getting him something like an ipod...! He's seven! C'mon... just say NO!!"... i leave.

We met up again, after a few hours, when it was time to go home... Its about a two hour drive back, and in this time, my brother was talking about some recorder.... at the time, i had no idea what he was talking about.. When he got home, he got really cross at my mother when she wouldn’t give him his...ahem... "recorder"... She kept saying it was for Christmas, but no! NO, no... he wouldn’t hear any of it!!

Later, he searched my mothers room, and yelled out excitingly.. "i found it!!!" When i saw his so called recorder, i almost lost it! I was absolutely gob smacked!! It was that expensive ipod.. just the one he wanted! And i started to say something, but she mouthed the words "shut it!".. and pointed out that my father was in the other room... And i knew that it wasn’t the time or place to say anything, when he's there...

I know that they will get into a huge argument, which would probably result in broken plates, and my mother in tears... Which i don’t want.. however, i do want her to be told off! To have some sense knocked into her! This is absurd... that’s 4 hundred dollars to a seven y.o kid! I would be guilt ridden, if i spent so much on myself...

How many 7 y.olds have an ipod???! hello, huh??? That’s just embarrassing... and i cant believe just how silly she is, for encouraging him to have this "i can have whatever i want, whenever i want" attitude...

It bothers me... and makes me really angry.. BECAUSE its really my sister and i, who are the ones who really work hard for this money! We are the ones wasting our lives away, putting aside our wants and our needs, to work for them, when they are fully aware that we never wanted this. My parents have a supermarket, right?.. and as soon as i finished school (years back)... my father (without my knowledge, or permission) arranged to have all of our checkout ladies sacked, (and for this reason, they really hate me) and have me to take over full time. I had absolutely no choice what so-ever. So pretty much, i was forced into lessons, and placed on customer service...Just me! Day after day... week after week, month after month... And i rarely get any help.. except when im desperate, and when its extremely busy.. my mother will help!

*shrugs*

I remember being upset about it at the beginning (and its a shame too... because, i had such high hopes to get into childcare.. but im way over it now...

My sister does all the work out the back. I tell ya, she is a hard worker. It works well for her, caus she hates dealing with people…

We both have many other, other jobs which we have to find the time for.. (you have no idea, just how many jobs are involved in running a supermarket....) Gosh, it would be exhausting typing it all down. Honestly, normal bosses running a store our size, would have a large staff doing each separate thing, on shifts..

Not us. But it works out well for my parents.. They make a nice nifty profit from us... To hire more workers means losing money...

So my parents have it easy... Now don’t get me wrong, they do work... they help. But they don’t do as nearly as much as us. My dad is able to go home, and have a nap occasionally when he's tired.. I do see him sitting around often eating, or taking it easy. My mother works, but yeaah, she has it much easier too.... whereas my sister and i are constantly doing things. It can get exhausting... Especially when i have problems sleeping at night, or when im sick sick ((( i dont get sick days either!!... hah, i lost my voice for a week earlier this year, and had to spend it working in a way where i was using my hands a lot and pointing.... which was, just well, embarrassing... ))) But anyhow, ALL this is off topic! You really didn’t need to know all of this, but it would be a waste of typing if i deleted all this unimportant stuff……

The big concern is my brother here! My mum! My dad spoils him too... He goes out of his way often, to get my bro, what he feels he needs... To please him, because he feels he deserves it. My dad has always treated my brother on much higher grounds than he ever has, my sister or I. Why?... because he's the boy. My dad has always wanted a boy.. But the difference with my dad is, that when he says no, my brother actually listens.

To sum it up... My mother will (and has on many occasions) spent hundreds of dollars, just to keep him quite, and my Dad will do whatever he can to make the boy happy... and that doesn’t necessarily mean, by buying him things all the time... but also taking him wherever he wants, whenever he wants. Just everything he can, to give the kid a chance. Something he was never willing to give us..

I love my brother. I really, really do... I try and spend as much time with him as possible, and he really gets me to embrace my inner kid! He's wonderful! but i don’t like the fact that he is becoming way too spoilt and bossy, and my parents are much too soft on him.

So my question is, to get you responding,,,

Do you have any kids, can you relate??

Do you think that continuing this will make hi some rebellious, hard to control, bratty teenager, who casually takes money, goes out whenever, and doesn’t listen to anything anyone says?? (.i worry.......maybe i am looking far too into things...... )

Do you believe in disciplining a kid? A smack for instance... ? I know people who are completely against the idea of hitting a kid in any way, but nah.. i may sound bad here, but i think a petty smack, may be necessary in some cases…

If you were in public, in, say, a computer store (sound familiar?)... What would you do if the child throws a tantrum?

I see a problem here, yet my parents don’t. I know i may sound like a snob because im NOT a mum, therefore you could say im in no position to criticize ones parenting skills, but I see this as a huge problem.

And btw, you don’t have to answer all these questions, or any… but I want someome to respond, and tell me whether all this is common..? Am i over reacting here?

Hi Girl,

Sounds like you have a lot in common with Angelwave, she claims her younger brother is spoilt as well. Give her a pm sometime, she's a good listener and very wise.

When I was younger, my sister and I felt that my brother was spoilt and the favourite when we were growing up. Now I am a mother, my daughter claims that the same is happening again. That her brother is spoilt and we don't care about her.

I have to admit, I probably don't do everything right when it comes down to looking after my son or daughter. All I can say in my defence is that I'm trying very hard to do the right thing by both of them and I love them both very much.

As regards the questions:

I do have kids and I am a sibling so I can relate!!!
Continuing this will possibly result in all those those things you mentioned however, you may find that as your brother gets older the relationship that you have with your mother will improve as she will get more time to spend with you. Mothers can be quite insecure sometimes and desperately want their child to love them and to make their children happy and may feel guilty for not spending quality time with their children and they mistakenly think that if they buy them things the relationship will improve.

I love the company of my daughter (when she isn't in a teenage strop), my son can be so demanding and gets very easily jealous of any attention I pay her. So it makes life very stressful. It is not easy to get away but sometimes it can do you some good if you can take a mother daughter break together, have some girlie pampering and look after the temple as it were. The relaxation is often good for body and soul and relationships.

As for the other question, yes I believe in disciplining a kid but I do not believe in shouting or violence. I believe no should mean no and yes mean yes. I believe that there are many ways to reward and punish children and we don't always choose the most appropriate as parents.

When my daughter was little she threw a tantum in a store because she wanted some sweets, I walked off and left her. However, I knew the character of my daughter and that she couldn't bear to be more than a metre away from me. She got up and followed after me. I tried the same with my son I walked off and peeped around the corner only to see him get up and walk off in the opposite direction!!!! I followed him around the store for about half an hour, he wasn't bothered I wasn't there in the slightest! He was to busy looking at all the merchandise! In the end I went up to him and held his hand and continued shopping! No matter how loud the child screems, if you give in to tantrums, it only makes it harder for you next time. As my husband constantly finds out whenever he goes shopping with our son!

It is clear that you love your brother and want whats best for him. Howerver, your parents may not listen to you because you are his sister and they may think that there is sibling rivalry going on. The thing to remember is that parents are only human and make mistakes like the rest of us. They let us down from time to time and make wrong decisions but we must remember that we are taught to honour our mother and father. They do not know all the answers but most of them have got a lot of wisdom. Look at what you have learned in say the last few years. I can see it from both sides but remember your parents are probably parenting instictively and not logically (I do this sometimes, even though I have had childcare education, sometimes it is difficult to practice what one preaches and sometimes we slip a bit)!

I would however, talk to your Mum about hiring another person to help in the shop and try in a calm way to have her relate to you. Say to her something like I love you very much but I can't go on like this for the rest of my life. I want to help you in the shop but I would also like some time to study and persue my own goals. Do you remember when you were young and had a dream to eg own a shop or whatever it may be? Well I have a dream to work with children. I would like that chance. Isn't there some way we could come to a compromise. Please can you try to help Dad to see it's a good idea. I wouldn't expect a possitive response straight away but if your Mum knows that you are serious and it is really important to you, I am sure she will find someway to accommodate your request.

Try the journal section of TJ also you may find it helps to get things off your chest. Sorry my reply is a bit long I also tend to get carried away and type to fast!

Good Luck and God Bless

I hope things work out for you, pm me anytime.

:love: Eve

hi i dont have much time to respond . . .but read it all Girl :love: Im a mom of 4 great kids and we also run a little store for a few month now (since may) and im sure you not the only one with that problem sweet girl. . .

We have two almost grown daughter *turning 17 and 18 in Jan 2007* and we have two boys 12 and 9 . . .

You sound like our oldest wrote this letter. . .I bet thats how she feels sometimes. . .or maybe a lotta times . . .who knows . . .girls are just so sensitive not wanting to hurt anyones feelings that im sure they dont always tell me HOW unfair things seem to be around at home. . .im sure of that!

however. . .we couldnt run the business without the great support of our daughters at home helping out. . .they get higher pocket money since start in may and help more also . . .the boys dont get no pocket money and dont do hardly anything at home. . .dad goes home at noon to keep the fam sort of in order in the afternoon . . .but he is also not the born STAY AT HOME DO ALL CHORES AT HOME soooooo its a different chaos nowadays then before . . .anyhow...

i remember our girls growing up at the age of where the boys are now with lots of time i had for them . . .did all sorts of stuff with them . . .played games all afternoon . . .took them to friends. . .had friends over to make huge messes at home and went places, hung around the couch watching their favorite movies and and snuggeled, talked and who knows what. . .

beside the point that the boys dont want all this. . .and the girls really did enjoy all that a lot. . .i dont have that time for the boys nowadays. . .i cant go take them places hardly any. . .cant do nothing beside take them to the store with me and talk or play games in between serving customers up front. . .and so on . ..im sure my little one does not enjoy the store half as much as any of us. . .cause he is missing me badly. . .says so. . .acts so . . .is lots of times mad on the phone at me . . .where i cant just take him in my arms and comfort him when he needs me. . .thats a terrible feeling you know.. .

however . . starting in January we reduce the hours to 2.30pm and i will have time again in the afternoon for the kids. . .

our girls are not out of the house yet and they still need mom for talks and advice in their lives also . . .so it looks like this most of the time. . .i work till 6pm get home by latest 7pm cause of shopping. . .snuggle with boys and watch cartoons, check for homework, cook or not. . .depends we have leftovers from the bakery a lot and we fix quick stuff a lot too . . .then the boys hit the bed between 8-9pm time with daughter one or two considering one of us is always on the computer around this time usually too . . .and sometimes we all snuggle on the couch watching a movie . .. or just one and Dad . . .and then Dad and I have to hit the bed quite on time . . .getting up at 5am again for another long day. .. and yeah . . .maybe spend a couple of min with each other you see :star:

I guess i wrote all this to see that story from my point of view. . .that things happen without you wanting them too but they happen anyway for several reasons we cannot outguess the other ones most of the time and why they would react certain ways. . .you and your mom defenetly have to talk this out sometime alone. . .go eat a bite somewhere or drink a coffee . . .tell her you need an hour alone with her to talk about some stuff and if she would have that time for you sometime?

moms go wrong a lot in their lives. . .never intend to hurt anyone with it though. . .your a great daugther for hangin in there and watching this situation very smart. . .you have the right to complain and you did a good job for letting it all out here. . .i hope you already feel better and have God help you lift this load of your shoulders by bringing your anger and frustration to Him and let Him help you by arranging time for talks and move your moms heart in the talk . . .Only His Spirit can do miracles, Jesus Christ is amazing in touching hearts :love:

May God bless your family and you lovely sister who loves her brother and doesnt want her brother run against a wall of hate and rejection some day just because he has always been used to getting his will in life . . .untill he had to enter the *real* world. . .keep us updated how things are sweety ok :love: Love, Dot

You have some real concerns and all reason to be too. The love from a sister is as important as the love from a mother. I think if he was my son he would have recieved many smacks...and always remember smacks are a show of love. I have had 17 foster children and 3 of my own. They have all recieved smacks of love from me because I smack them to show them what they are doing after many of attemps of talking is very wrong but it shows them they have gone well overboard and need the smack to be pulled into line. gee i could go on and on but yes your mum need to get harder...

Hi Girl,

Chastisement is a very controversial subject. Many Christians believe that smacking is OK and some don't.

However, if your mother has decided that she does not wish to physically punish then I'm sorry but I believe that is her perogotive, this is just my personal opinion.

God Bless

:love: Eve

P.S. I do believe it is important to set boundaries, rules and consistant consequences to undesirable actions.

wow girl what a story

Yes i would agree with a smack and i think he needs more than one

But at the end of the day and please dont take this wrong but it is your parents who are in the wrong not your brother.

Your mum needs to stand up and say no, its your brother who will be hurt in the end if she does not

The real world is hard as you know and if he is going to make it alone he needs to know money is something you work for not something that is just handed to you.

I was like your brother i was spoilt rotten and when i left home to face the world alone i got some big shock. Life was very hard for me for some time and all the lessons i should have been taught at home i learned the hard way.

You seem to be the only one with some sence and you sound more like a parent, if your parents wont help your brother i guess its up to you to try your best, and trust God will help him change ,at the end of the day he will be the one to suffer if it goes on like this

God Bless

Ah, thankyou so much for all those replies.

i think a smack would be just what the kid needs, but its absolutely forbidden for my sister or i to give him abit of discipline.. He's 8 now, and he's still extremely spoilt.. oh, oh...the worst is his language.. its absolutely foul. Its seems that every sentence must have a few "naughty" words in it.. My mother seems somewhat lazy, and often says.. "oh, oh.. i dont have the energy to deal with it".. It drives me crazy, and sometimes i do really get mad, but then "im" the one getting in trouble for raising my voice at him!! its unbelievable!

but anyhoot... thanks for the replies.. ive taken it all in..

As for the work load, it got extremely bad for a while. I wasnt getting a wink of sleep, yet having to work daily, felling extremely wiery, tired..blue. all sorts.

i got extremely sick.. like really bad. I was rushed to hospital twice, because of these strange rashes.. (shingles) i was seeing things too, but even question my self today, if they were real, or the cause of "lack of sleep".. I panicked like crazy, and that scared my family.. i cant blame my diet either, because im very healthy with what i eat.. it sort of made my dad come to his senses, and hes actually changed alot. He's becoming more caring, and more involved in my life..

however im still struggling with the damage that the heavy load of work did... the ammount of stress i was under, and the fact that i was literally "pushing" myself to cope throughout the day, doing what i do, without indicating that i was really suffering inside. I did so brilliantly.. yet today, im on this silly medication, which has this effect of making me extremely tired, and depressed. Apparently its "suppose" to "fix" me... whatever. i think its actually doing more damage to my health..

*sigh*

well thats where im at.. I have a tendancy of writing huge posts, so im sorry about this one.. I wasnt meant to type any of this... just a few words thanking people for their replies..

I didn't read your complete post, just enough to feel pity for that boy from the standpoint of what life is going to be like for him as an adult; a childish, spoiled brat adult.

You need to separate yourself from mom and that spoiled little brother. Supermarket or no supermarket, you're not doing them or yourself any real good by staying in that arrangement.

SLE

hey. all i can tell you is to take it to the lord in prayer. just pray that your mom and dad will see that spoiling your little seven year old brother isn't the best thing to be doing. but honestly breaking the kid now would be very hard. usually the youngest is the more spoilt. first time, shame on you. second time shame on me. so, by saying that i mean that them doing this "spoiling" over and over, is not nessessary. at this point i would just pray about it. ask god if it is his will that the child is being spoilt, ask him to do whatever he thinks is right, and that's really all you can do at this point. and btw, yes this is very common with most parents and their youngest kid these days.

.+kristinnn

Back