Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Sin and the law

B-A-C

Loyal
I could ask you if you've ever sinned, but I already know the answer before I even ask.

Rom 3:23; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

"all", that's you, that's me, that's everyone. I could ask well which sins did you commit? But it really doesn't matter too much.

Jas 2:10; For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.
Even if anyone could truly ever say, well I only sinned one time, God says you're just as guilty as if you broke every law.
But in reality, who of us could ever say... I've only committed one sin, one time.
1Jn 1:8;
If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
How do we know what sin is?
Rom 3:20; because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight;
for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.
Gal 3:24; Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.

Sin is simply breaking God's moral laws. Now I asked earlier if you've ever sinned. But now ask yourself this question...

"Have I ever sinned since I've been a Christian". For me, the answer is yes, yes I have. I don't want to, I don't like it when I do it, but yes I have done it.

Rom 7:1; Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives?

You can't sin, unless you are under the law.

Rom 5:13; for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
If there was no law, there would be no sin.
But the law has three parts...
1. The ceremonial law
2. The civil law
3. The moral law

The ceremonial law would be things like circumcision and sacrificing animals, they have no power to save anyone, just were just symbols of higher things to come.
The civil law was typically things that didn't affect your salvation, if your ox gored someone, you had to stone it and make restitution.
That leaves the moral law. The commandments. You still can't steal or lie, or murder anyone. You still can't commit adultery or worship idols.
Matt 19:17; And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but
if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."
John 14:21; "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."
John 15:10; "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love

1Jn 2:3; By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.
1Jn 2:4; The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

1Cor 7:19; Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.

There are a few verses similar to this.

Rom 7:6; But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

"newness of the spirit, not in oldness of the letter" what does that mean? Here is an example. There are no verses in the Bible about getting high on marijuana.
In fact the word "marijuana" is not in the Bible anywhere. However, there are several verses about being drunk, drunkenness, and sorcery ( pharmacia )
The word sorcery comes from the word we get "pharmacy" from. It means having your mind under the control of mind-altering drugs. Alcohol can also be
a mind altering drug. Alcohol in itself isn't necessarily bad, but when it takes over your mind, and you're no longer in control of your faculties, then it's a problem.

The letter of the law doesn't mention marijuana, but the spirit of the law says don't let your mind be under the influence of any drugs.

Now don't get too hung up on alcohol and marijuana here, that isn't the point. The point is there are moral laws we are expected to obey, some of them aren't specifically spelled out in the letter of the law.
The Bible doesn't have the word "transgender". But it doesn't mention effeminate men, and men who wear ladies clothing, and women who wear men's clothing. The Bible calls this an abomination.

Again, not mentioned so much by the letter of law, but definitely by the spirit of the law.

The point here being, there is no sin you can commit that is not mentioned by the law, either by the letter of the law, or by the spirit of the law.

There is no sin without the law.

Rom 5:13; for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

What about people who never heard the law?

[NLT]
Rom 2:12; When the Gentiles sin, they will be destroyed, even though they never had God’s written law. And the Jews, who do have God’s law, will be judged by that law when they fail to obey it.
Rom 2:13; For merely listening to the law doesn’t make us right with God. It is obeying the law that makes us right in his sight.
Rom 2:14; Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it.
Rom 2:15; They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.

Rom 2:13; for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

Some people who don't know the difference confuse works with the law. Obeying the law is NOT a good work. It's just what you are expected to do.

Luke 17:9; And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not.
Luke 17:10; In the same way, when you obey me you should say, ‘We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.’”

A good work of the law would be getting circumcised, or sacrificing an animal, or maybe helping an old lady across the street, or mowing your neighbor's yard.
There's nothing wrong with those things, but they won't save you.

I could ask you if you've ever sinned, but I already know the answer before I even ask.

Rom 3:23; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

"all", that's you, that's me, that's everyone. I could ask well which sins did you commit? But it really doesn't matter too much.

Jas 2:10; For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.
Even if anyone could truly ever say, well I only sinned one time, God says you're just as guilty as if you broke every law.
But in reality, who of us could ever say... I've only committed one sin, one time.
1Jn 1:8;
If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
How do we know what sin is?
Rom 3:20; because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight;
for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.
Gal 3:24; Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.

Sin is simply breaking God's moral laws. Now I asked earlier if you've ever sinned. But now ask yourself this question...

"Have I ever sinned since I've been a Christian". For me, the answer is yes, yes I have. I don't want to, I don't like it when I do it, but yes I have done it.

Rom 7:1; Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives?

You can't sin, unless you are under the law.

If there was no law, there would be no sin.
But the law has three parts...
1. The ceremonial law
2. The civil law
3. The moral law

The ceremonial law would be things like circumcision and sacrificing animals, they have no power to save anyone, just were just symbols of higher things to come.
The civil law was typically things that didn't affect your salvation, if your ox gored someone, you had to stone it and make restitution.
That leaves the moral law. The commandments. You still can't steal or lie, or murder anyone. You still can't commit adultery or worship idols.
Matt 19:17; And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but
if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."
John 14:21; "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."
John 15:10; "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love

1Jn 2:3; By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.
1Jn 2:4; The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

1Cor 7:19; Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.

There are a few verses similar to this.

Rom 7:6; But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

"newness of the spirit, not in oldness of the letter" what does that mean? Here is an example. There are no verses in the Bible about getting high on marijuana.
In fact the word "marijuana" is not in the Bible anywhere. However, there are several verses about being drunk, drunkenness, and sorcery ( pharmacia )
The word sorcery comes from the word we get "pharmacy" from. It means having your mind under the control of mind-altering drugs. Alcohol can also be
a mind altering drug. Alcohol in itself isn't necessarily bad, but when it takes over your mind, and you're no longer in control of your faculties, then it's a problem.

The letter of the law doesn't mention marijuana, but the spirit of the law says don't let your mind be under the influence of any drugs.

Now don't get too hung up on alcohol and marijuana here, that isn't the point. The point is there are moral laws we are expected to obey, some of them aren't specifically spelled out in the letter of the law.
The Bible doesn't have the word "transgender". But it doesn't mention effeminate men, and men who wear ladies clothing, and women who wear men's clothing. The Bible calls this an abomination.

Again, not mentioned so much by the letter of law, but definitely by the spirit of the law.

The point here being, there is no sin you can commit that is not mentioned by the law, either by the letter of the law, or by the spirit of the law.

There is no sin without the law.

What about people who never heard the law?

[NLT]
Rom 2:12; When the Gentiles sin, they will be destroyed, even though they never had God’s written law. And the Jews, who do have God’s law, will be judged by that law when they fail to obey it.
Rom 2:13; For merely listening to the law doesn’t make us right with God. It is obeying the law that makes us right in his sight.
Rom 2:14; Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it.
Rom 2:15; They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.

Rom 2:13; for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

Some people who don't know the difference confuse works with the law. Obeying the law is NOT a good work. It's just what you are expected to do.

Luke 17:9; And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not.
Luke 17:10; In the same way, when you obey me you should say, ‘We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.’”

A good work of the law would be getting circumcised, or sacrificing an animal, or maybe helping an old lady across the street, or mowing your neighbor's yard.
There's nothing wrong with those things, but they won't save you.

Something I would add. The apostle John told us how to keep the entire Law of God. Notice in this passage that he condenses the plural "commandments" into the singular "commandment."

1 John 3:22-23

"And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment."

John places the entire keeping of the Law into the Two Great Commandments Christ gave us.

This is possible by faith in Christ, who kept the Law perfectly, and by faith in Him and loving one another we are keeping the perfect Law.

This means that we are righteous, spotless, and perfect in the sight of God being "in Christ" as Paul put it.

Something I would add. The apostle John told us how to keep the entire Law of God. Notice in this passage that he condenses the plural "commandments" into the singular "commandment.

The Golden Rule.

Matt 7:12; "In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
Matt 7:13; "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
Matt 7:14; "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

I agree they got condensed down to two. Loving your neighbor is great, but I think we should also love God.

Matt 22:36; "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?"
Matt 22:37; And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'
Matt 22:38; "This is the great and foremost commandment.
Matt 22:39; "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'
Matt 22:40; "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Paul says the same thing.

Rom 13:9; For this, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.

John 13:34; "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
1Jn; 2:7 Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard.
1Jn; 2:8 On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining.
2Jn; 1:5 Now I ask you, lady, not as though I were writing to you a new commandment, but the one which we have had from the beginning, that we love one another.

Back