• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Ultimate Justice

Staff Member
When you arise, O Lord, you will laugh at their silly ideas as a person laughs at dreams in the morning. Psalm 73:20 NLT

“Cheaters never win.” Yeah, right.

These days, playing by the rules seems like a quaint, old-fashioned notion. Watch the news—or observe neighbors and coworkers—and you may conclude that living honorably just holds you back.

But that’s nothing new. The author of Psalm 73 grappled with the same frustration centuries before Jesus’ birth. “I envied the proud when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness,” the psalmist complained. “They seem to live such painless lives; their bodies are so healthy and strong. They don’t have troubles like other people; they’re not plagued with problems like everyone else. They wear pride like a jeweled necklace and clothe themselves with cruelty” (vv. 3-6).

Of course, that’s not the whole story. The psalm writer had an epiphany in the temple when he realized the destiny of the proud oppressors (v. 17). Though they could hurt their fellow man seemingly with impunity, they would not escape God’s justice (v. 19). In fact, the Lord would chuckle at their ridiculous bluster, turned so quickly into terror.

As Christians, we are called to love and pray for our enemies, not gloat over their demise. But those who steadfastly refuse God’s mercy will face justice. We can be sure that God will make proper retribution and vindicate His own.

Prayer: Lord, help me to trust in Your perfect justice.