• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Your thoughts appreciated

Loyal
So I would love to get your thoughts on something that happened today. This is the first time I have ever in person witnessed tongues in person. During our service towards the end of music and when announcements started , a person remained standing speaking in tongues with tears coming from her face, this continued until the end of service even a little longer I think. so I am not sure what to think,

but from the word of God I know the bible says God is a God of order, and this seems to me not to be order , but disorder perhaps?
1 Corinthians 14:33

Also from the word of God I always thought if someone does speak tongues in a congregation, there is supposed to be a interpreter
1 Corinthians 14:27

So I wonder if this person was just misusing the gift of tongues, or its just a mystery and just except it, something else I am missing here??

your thoughts??

For the record I do believe some people have the gift of tongues, but mostly I see either misuse it according to my understanding of scripture or are just faking it.

I think tongues is a precious gift from God, and do not want this post coming across in any disrespectful way at all, that is not my intention.

Loyal
1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

There is personal use of tongues where you are talking directly unto God and not any man.

1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Speaking in tongues will build up your self up.

1Co 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

A person who speaks in tongues should pray that he may understand what he said to God

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Speaking in tongues is your spirit praying to God. The AMP Bible says," your spirit by the Holy Spirit is praying."

1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

There is a ministry of speaking in tongues. It does not have to be another person who interprets it can be the same person who spoke.

on the day of Pentecost 120 people, all at the same time were speaking in tongues.

Loyal
So I would love to get your thoughts on something that happened today. This is the first time I have ever in person witnessed tongues in person. During our service towards the end of music and when announcements started , a person remained standing speaking in tongues with tears coming from her face, this continued until the end of service even a little longer I think. so I am not sure what to think,

but from the word of God I know the bible says God is a God of order, and this seems to me not to be order , but disorder perhaps?
1 Corinthians 14:33

Also from the word of God I always thought if someone does speak tongues in a congregation, there is supposed to be a interpreter
1 Corinthians 14:27

So I wonder if this person was just misusing the gift of tongues, or its just a mystery and just except it, something else I am missing here??

your thoughts??

For the record I do believe some people have the gift of tongues, but mostly I see either misuse it according to my understanding of scripture or are just faking it.

I think tongues is a precious gift from God, and do not want this post coming across in any disrespectful way at all, that is not my intention.
It is explicitly written that if no one is present there to translate it , that the person speaking in tongues should remain quiet .

Speaking in tongues can happen when you are alone in prayer . I have no problem there . But when in a group , and no one to translate . You must be careful as the darkness can be present . I personly feel it unwise for any church to allow someone to disrupt a service when that person seems to speak in tongues , with no interpreter.

Think of it this way. What better way for the devil to misguide people , if he can throw something like this in . Your mine was on the preaching , but is now taken to this person speaking tongues