• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

About Love

Active
1John 3:18 . . My little children, let us not love only in word or in tongue, but in
deed, and in truth.

What is truth? (John 18:38)

Pilate's question was meaningful in his day because ancient philosophers
perpetually discussed and debated the nature of truth without ever achieving a
universal agreement about it.

Well; one of Webster's definitions of "truth" is: a state of being the case; viz: fact;
which Webster's defines as the quality of being actual. In other words: truth is the
way it is; viz: truth is reality as opposed to speculation, fantasy, opinion, error,
inaccuracy, inexactness, theory, imagination, and false impressions, etc.

The trick to loving in truth is first of all knowing the truth.

Well to begin with; "thy word is truth" (John 17:17). So the Bible is the Christian's
first choice as a source of truth relative to love.

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your
mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of
God." (Rom 12:2)

There are no short-cuts to the truth. The good path is according to Eph 4:11-15;
viz: by teachers and preachers. I do not recommend the self-taught route. People
who go that way usually end up with disinformation lodged in their heads that is not
easily corrected. Beware.

"Some of Paul's comments are hard to understand, and those who are ignorant and
unstable have twisted his letters around to mean something quite different from
what he meant, just as they do the other parts of Scripture-- and the result is
disaster for them." (2Pet 3:16)

Love in accordance with truth may at times seem very unloving to the world
because it doesn't know the truth, nor does it care to know. I think a fair
percentage of the world would agree with Pilate that truth is uncertain and
unknowable.

The Greek word translated "deed" is ergon (er'-gon) which primarily has to do
with toil as an effort or occupation; but can also imply the way people act, i.e. the
things they do as opposed to the things they say. Some Christians can tell you all
about love, and readily quote the classic scriptures about love, but seem utterly
incapable of exemplifying any of it.
_

Active
1John 4:20-21 . . If someone says "I love God," and hates his brother, he's a liar;
for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God
whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who
loves God must love his brother also.

NOTE: The commandment referenced is located at John 13:34

The Greek word translated "liar" isn't restricted to hard-core dishonesty, but applies
to anyone whose statements can be proven unsound; including misrepresenting
themselves, whether deliberate or mistaken. In other words: we could paraphrase
the above to read: If anyone says "I love God" and hates his brother, he's in need
of correction.

In my opinion "liar" is a harsh description to pin on somebody, and I really think we
ought to reserve it for people who we know for sure are fully aware that what they
are saying isn't true. (This is just a suggestion. I'm not attempting to issue an edict
for everyone to go by.)

The Greek word for "love" throughout 1John 4:20-21 is agapao (ag-ap-ah'-o)
which is an indistinct word for love that may or may not include affection and
fondness; but it certainly includes things like civility, courtesy, generosity, lenience,
tolerance, charity, kindness, patience, forgiveness, diplomacy, humility, hospitality,
sympathy, respect, tact, etc.

I think that what John is trying to get across is that inconsiderate treatment of The
Father's children betrays one's lack of consideration for a father's feelings; which is
the behavior of a churlish Christian rather than a spiritual Christian.
_

Active
1John 5:16-17 . . If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to
death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not
lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should
pray about that. All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

The most common sins unto death are those classified as capital crimes; viz: those
for which the death penalty is the right thing to do. It would be a miscarriage of
justice to pray somebody out of that jam. If the courts and the laws of the land
have decided that they must die; then they must die; and that's that.

If a fellow believer is on death row for a capital offense; it's best to stay out of it
and let God and the courts handle it. Christians on death row should be encouraged
to man-up (or woman-up, as the case may be) and face the music rather than
expect sympathy from either their church or their Christian friends. Christians who
pray for the release of believers on death row for capital crimes are not only
attempting to obstruct justice, but also in shameful rebellion against Almighty God's
sovereign edicts.

"For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of
the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. For he is
God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear
the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him
who practices evil." (Rom 13:3-4)
_

Active
Jude 1:22-23 . . On some have compassion, making a distinction; but others
rescue with fright, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by
the flesh.

Some Christians are offended by fright because it violates their concept of love. But
fright can be a good thing if it's applied judiciously. For instance: it is just as wise
to be afraid of God as it is wise to be afraid of cactus spines, a mule's kick, and/or a
forest fire.

Christians neglecting to build themselves up on their most holy faith, to pray in the
Holy Spirit, to keep themselves in the love of God, and to look for the mercy of
their Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life; are seriously off-reservation. Some are so
far off-reservation that somebody needs to get in their face and confront them
about their condition, even if it means becoming harsh, insensitive, and judgmental
because stray Christians are also away from God's providence; and that is a very
risky situation to be in.

Some off-reservation Christians can be stopped from destroying themselves; while
others are too far gone. Of those with possibilities, counselors have to use a little
God-given common sense as it isn't necessary to employ fright with everyone— just
the ones who are particularly difficult. Some people can be reasoned with, while
others only understand fear and can be persuaded to move in the right direction
only by lighting a fire under them, so to speak.
_