• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Atheism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they are the Word of God.

You can have 'supernatural' in other religions. The question is what is the source of that 'supernatural'? With the Bible, the source is God.
With the Quran the source is God as well. There is no way to tell if one or both are true of false. But I know you will just say that you just know the God of the bible is true.

Active
1. With the Quran the source is God as well. 2. There is no way to tell if one or both are true of false. But I know you will just say that you just know the God of the bible is true.

1. Yes and like us they too believe in one God. I have much respect for devout Muslims. Any God fearing person. As does God James 4:8.
2. In Christianity you receive a revelation of Jesus from God. 1 Cor 12:3 Nobody can call Jesus Lord except by the Holy Spirit. Matt 16:16-17 Flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven.

You can meet Jesus too. Just decide today to repent of your sin Psalm 51:17 and turn from your wicked ways James 4:8. Good God fearing people like Muslims are a stone throw away from meeting Jesus. Athiests who ''push'' an atheist lifestyle and thinking that we are just going from dust to dust, to accommodate a sinful life with no fear of a judgment day are furthering themselves from a meeting with Jesus.

Good people meet Jesus. Bad people accommodate any belief system that enables them to live peacefully with their sin.

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Read the gospels. They are far too raw, earthy and messy to be the product of fabricated propaganda.
This is an assertion with nothing to back it up. There are many supernatural tales out there about gods that are just as raw.

If you set the gospel accounts to one side, there's other sources which tell us that Jesus lived as a preacher and prophet, was sentenced to death by Pilate, and that the church grew on his disciples claim that he was risen from the dead.
They claim Jesus had risen from the dead, Josephus and Tacitus were born after Jesus death so were not eyewitnesses. Also, there were many more writers of the time that have no mention of him or his disciples.

Loyal
This is an assertion with nothing to back it up.

You forget that I was answering your question about why I believe the gospel. I gave a straightforward and truthful answer. Please don't be so hasty to put down what is being said that you miss the content of the conversation. I'm not claiming it's an infallible logical proof, but the approach that the gospel writers (synoptics especially) take to their story makes it very difficult to see how it could be a fabricated story.

I don't see how the birth dates of Josephus and Tacitus make a difference to their value as historians. If only an eyewitness will do, you have John's gospel.

You forget that I was answering your question about why I believe the gospel. I gave a straightforward and truthful answer. Please don't be so hasty to put down what is being said that you miss the content of the conversation.
I am not. I am just saying that you asserted something that you have not backed up with evidence in my opinion. I am just having a truthful conversation.

I'm not claiming it's an infallible logical proof, but the approach that the gospel writers (synoptics especially) take to their story makes it very difficult to see how it could be a fabricated story.
And I simply disagree with this.

I don't see how the birth dates of Josephus and Tacitus make a difference to their value as historians.
Because they did not alive during the events. These are unusual events in history. If they reported on a cultural norm at the time I am more inclined to believe it. But when a unique supernatural event that many writers of the time did not write about, more evidence is required for belief.

If only an eyewitness will do, you have John's gospel.
Historians don't know who wrote the gospel of John. Could be John, probably not.

Active
With the Quran the source is God as well. There is no way to tell if one or both are true of false. But I know you will just say that you just know the God of the bible is true.

There is no way for 'you' to tell. The believer in God can tell. Because the 'Spirit' of God is active in him. If one wants to follow the spirit behind islam, by all means, follow him. Become a muslim. If you want to follow the spirit behind buddhism, then by all means follow him. Become a buddhist.

In other words, because you cannot tell, shows that you were never a Christian. Because,... the Christian can tell and knows.

Follow who you like, or be happy in your atheism. But do not think just because you and others don't know the truth, that the Christian doesn't know the Truth. He does.

Quantrill

There is no way for 'you' to tell. The believer in God can tell. Because the 'Spirit' of God is active in him. If one wants to follow the spirit behind islam, by all means, follow him. Become a muslim. If you want to follow the spirit behind buddhism, then by all means follow him. Become a buddhist.

In other words, because you cannot tell, shows that you were never a Christian. Because,... the Christian can tell and knows.

Follow who you like, or be happy in your atheism. But do not think just because you and others don't know the truth, that the Christian doesn't know the Truth. He does.

Quantrill
You may be right. But you don't have any more reason to believe in Christianity than a Muslim does to believe in Allah. At least you have not presented any. You just say that you know because you know and then tell others they are wrong when they don't believe you. Yo have said you don't care if I believe but you keep responding to me. Why?

Loyal
Tacitus says:

But all human efforts, all the lavish gifts of the emperor, and the propitiations of the gods, did not banish the sinister belief that the conflagration was the result of an order. Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular.

That's pretty straight historical reporting. Jesus was executed on the order of Pilate. It's also a historical fact that his disciples very quickly started to spread the news that jesus was alive. Why would they do this? Why couldn't either the Roman empire or the Jewish authorities end the rumour by producing Jesus' corpse?

If Jesus didn't rise again there must have been a conspiracy. Who could have been behind it?

I've yet to come across a satisfactory explanation other than that Jesus rose again.

Active
You may be right. But you don't have any more reason to believe in Christianity than a Muslim does to believe in Allah. At least you have not presented any. You just say that you know because you know and then tell others they are wrong when they don't believe you. Yo have said you don't care if I believe but you keep responding to me. Why?

Reason has nothing to do with why I am a Christian. I have never said it does. The only 'reason' one is a Christian is because God has opened his eyes to see that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Saviour. Has nothing to do with reason, or evidence, or proofs. It is a miraculous and supernatural calling form God Almighty. If one does not believe that, then God has not opened his eyes. And that is where you are.

I respond to you because you keep talking. You came here first, remember. For some 'reason' you want to purport your atheism and hope to affect the confidence that Christians have in their Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. As I told you already, you are on a fools errand. You don't have access to that which Christians do. You cannot change the Holy Spirit's work in the life of the believer.

You lived the life of a fake Christian and now hope to have others follow. But they won't. Because they have what you never had.

Quantrill

Status
Not open for further replies.