• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Grace: Faith or Works?

So some here say that the commandments are requisites, meaning we must keep them in order to be connected with Christ. Love is a fruit of the Spirit, isn't it? I thought Jesus said apart from Him we can do nothing and yet we must love God and one another apart from Jesus in order to be connected to Him. Sounds a little like a doctrine of works to me.

SpiritLedEd, Word of Life, Great post!!!

jiggyfly quote:

you already have your opinion formed, I am sure. I think the real discussion would be what happens if we break those commandments.

Now your question. There are commandments that we must not break ever. There are several places in the scripture that state this fact. It can be done as the Word says it can be done. We would not be given any commandments that we were not empowered to keep.

If you Don't abide in him. (long list of things that can help you do that.) Then you can not keep those commandments, but are still guilty of breaking them if you do.
Jesus said without me you can do nothing. To break a commandment you must be aware of breaking it. We all are at different level's of growth here, and we slip up.

Just as SpiritLedEd said. We need God's help to do so. God said he would even make a way out when tempted. So, no excuse for jumping on the commandment breaking band wagon. ( I have sinned so don't think I sound as I have not.)

We have only two (Three if you count that we must believe on the name of Jesus given in 1 john 3:23) commandments.

1) Love God with all your mind, heart and soul. God first in everything.
2) Love your neighbor as yourself. Don't wrong anyone.

So the answer is, Abiding in him. That was the point of the whole new covenant as nobody could follow the law, well except Jesus.

Jesus Is Lord.
I think you misunderstood the question Mike, the question is when it comes to abiding in Jesus , is our obedience to His commands requisites or results? The answer being either requisites or results. Abiding in Him is the subject.

Amen ...Thanks Chad, and all who are saved by grace alone, what more can be added, except one more soul who comes to Christ .
One more....one more ,until the day of Christ.
Christ cried out on the cross, "It is finished!"
Our part is to accept the free gift, and walk with him faithfully until he calls us home.

Chad it has been a while that i wanted to introduce myself to you, and thank you for your obiediance to start this forum. i am Afrikaans and my english is fair to good in my country, but it is still my second language so please do not misintrepet what i write. I am not here to cause trouble to any person and every person that knows Cobus would acknowledge this. He WAS a big sturrer,but not anymore. Now the thing that sturs is my different view on FAITH and THE GOSPEL of Jesus. Let me say it out straight, and you will see how different i am. I believe that we can be perfect, as God is perfect, here on earth. Why do i believe that, because i studied the Bible 188 000 hours all by myself (with all the holy men that were from the One Spirit) in the quiet of my room with no NO human input.

Ok so i started to read the bible, and it was the Afrikaans new translation. Very similar to the Holy Bible that the methodist church used. We had another translation that is word for word more like, and even exactly like the King James. And in Genesis i got confused already. The one bible said that life is in the blood and the other says the soul is in the blood. And a friend showed me the differance between life and soul and i understood that the soul is in the blood. That is why Abel could have a voise in his spilt blood, Gen 4:10, and the same with Jesus' blood. So some will now call me KJVO or something like that, but let me assure you i want to understand God, and the only way is to use ONE WORD as reference. Because if we come to 2 Peter 1:21 The one bible says ....holy men spoke... and the other leaves the holy out. that makes it men and there is a massive differance between men, and holy men. God is the differance. So i guess i am guilty on KJVO as well.

I went ONE on one with God and His Word, and now it is time that i must share the unspoiled TRUTH that was established By God before the earth was made. And this TRUTH will last even after the world vanishes again. God calls this TRUTH WORD, HIS WORD! Joh 17:17. I begat a laptop, loaded the Bible on it and started His Way. Before i started i said... "God, i do not know You, but i know you are here now, or there or wherever, and i know you hear this because i am answering your call. You said to me ''GENESIS 1, Start!' I am starting today Lord. Please reveal Your Word to me, because there is enough false teachers in this world, do not let me be yet another one! Amen!"

And later i realised that even that prayer was HIS words, and that the wisdom about the many false people, would come so often in the same Word was proof of that. Remember, i knew NOTHING of GOD! But is was about to be teached by the ONLY Qaulified Teacher, and i did not even know His Name. This i will also share when the time is right.

As i read thru the Word the first part that striked me odd was... Let us make man in our image. Plural. Then i learned He spoke to Jesus. And i loved it! I continued and found out that Eve ate first, but God blamed Adam, and i was confused again, but i look at it carefully and i understood, eve as mislead, adam was not, he was tempted and gave in. SIN, the first SIN. Then the first real shocker was that the first words God spoke to man, after he threw them out of the garden was to Cain and it was a warning and a command! He said to Cain..
Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? <SUP>7</SUP>If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
Rule over sin? is that not holy, or even perfect. To rule over it means you are the boss of sin you can send it away...forever! Fire it if you will! WOW! Abel did rule over it, but Cain did not. Already there is two teams at play. One Good, and one evil.
Black and white, no grey! I realized there, that ther is only two forces on earth. One force promotes Good, and one promotes evil. For a person that knew NOTHING, this was amazing. And pretty deep! Must be from the Deep One.

Now i have to jump to the second miricle i experienced in the BOOK. I was up to Psalm 119. and i read to verse 3 and i felt real sad about my sinful life, so i opened a word document and started typing. It was just past midnight on a cold morning, i typed for two hours and twelve minutes. and when i finished saved the document, and read the Psalm further. Guess what! I wrote that Psalm in the most likeness, save the Names BETH GIMEL etc. And i knew then, Not only me but every angel and holy man knew also, then, that Jesus would SHOW HIMSELF to Cobus.

I have a huge advantage over most "christians" as i was never influenced by ministers, pastors or any other "children of God". The reason i put the words in inverted comma's is i regard these words very special, and GODS to give. I will never be sarcastic or above any person on this site. I am the least in and on this Forum-site! I am last in the line of the members and visitors, and i put myself there for a reason!
So i carried on and now 188 000 hours later i am sharing what is shown to me thus far.

And here is how it works in short.
1. God calls me!
2. I hear God, and show interest. Immidiately Satan gets word of it, and he sends in the troops! First the weakest platoon. And as he does not get me to turn back he sends stronger ones, to get me to let go of the new teachings!
3. I am shown all the wrong in my life, and i repent! one by one i lay them down, never to pick those up again. NEVER!
4. Jesus' blood cleanses me from every one i lay down. Jesus knows when to wash the sin away, because he knows when you are ready to let it go! Once you give it to him, he gives you the ABEL BOSS over it! then it is impossible to get it again.
5. When you lay down the last sin that the Holy Spirit showed you, and Jesus gives you the power over it, you are white as snow! Perfectly clean, unfortunately you just crusified yourself, the sinning CAIN and the only part of you that remains is as clean as God is. Pure, Holy, Exalted, Even Godly, because He made you so. Now you pass through the narrow "gate" and you are now on the other side of Jesus' cross. The side where God is, where Lazarus is lying in the bosom of Abraham is. IN GOD! God is on the opposite side of Jesus' cross. The narrow "gate" is under the cross, and the lost does not pass thru this gate. Many try few succeed, only few lay down all their sin.
6. But if your spirit is passing thru the narrow gate your body would die! No human can live without a spirit. So God takes His Spirit and put it in The Body of the SAVED PERSON. There was a Spirit swop. This SPirit swop is REBIRTH. Now the Holy Spirit was Born Again in flesh. Just like Jesus was the first flesh to EVER posess it. And this flesh of the Old Cobus can testify that Jesus came in the flesh. And because it is the spirit of God that moves this flesh, this flesh is perfect, same as the spirit, that once dwelled in it, on the other side of this life!

Now a lot of readers would be disgusted with this, so Chad let me put the scripture together for every point as mentioned here.

1. The calling...
8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
14I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
2. The hearing.
15Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
3. The dying for sin, laying it down to rest, death-rest. Never to do again.
1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? <SUP>2</SUP>God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
4. The singular forgiveness of sin.
4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, <SUP>5</SUP>And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, <SUP>6</SUP>If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
5. Who lays down all sin. and pass through?
13And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
6. The swopping of spirits. The end mentioned in the verse above is the end of your spirit's time on earth. When you laid down you life (sinning life) for the sake of Jesus, it is the end for you.
3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
That is why Paul could say he has died on the cross with Jesus, yet he is alive, but not realy him , but Jesus IN HIM.....
20I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

AND THAT IS THE GOSPEL OF JESUS. READ JESUS" PRAYER IN JOHn 17 AND 1 JOH 3. And let God show you how HE SAVES. PERFECTLY!!!! LIKE ONLY HE COULD!

Remeber english is not my mother toungue and i might mispell, but i defenately are not mis-preaching! By the Grace of God i understand HIM! And soon, i will SEE HIM. Stephen did just before he died.

The works of the law Paul was referring to, that seem to contradict James, was the ordinances contained in the law. James was not referring to this kind of works. He was referring to good works that come from the heart if God is in you.

That's why Paul says Abraham wasn't justified by the works of the law, contained in ordinances until the time of reformation. Abraham didn't have the law or the ordinances contained in it. This is why Abraham was justified by his faith, and as James says by his obedience to his faith. See Romans and Hebrews, for and understanding on this...

Heb 9:1 Then verily the first [covenant] had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.
Heb 9:2 For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein [was] the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary.
Heb 9:3 And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;
Heb 9:4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein [was] the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;
Heb 9:5 And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercyseat; of which we cannot now speak particularly.
Heb 9:6 Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service [of God].
Heb 9:7 But into the second [went] the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and [for] the errors of the people:
Heb 9:8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:
Heb 9:9 Which [was] a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;
Heb 9:10 [Which stood] only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed [on them] until the time of reformation.

Heb 9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
Heb 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption [for us].

Heb 9:13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Heb 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions [that were] under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
Heb 9:16 For where a testament [is], there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
Heb 9:17 For a testament [is] of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Heb 9:18 Whereupon neither the first [testament] was dedicated without blood.
Heb 9:19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,
Heb 9:20 Saying, This [is] the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.
Heb 9:21 Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry.
Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
Heb 9:23 [It was] therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
Heb 9:24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, [which are] the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
Heb 9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

God bless

Last edited:
simply put, the answer to this question is- faith without works is dead and works without faith is dead.

Salvation can only be purchased by the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. In myself I can do nothing. As I abide in the Vine I bear fruit as His life flows in me.

Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Tit 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Grace brings salvation; the fruit of grace results in works.

I look at it like this:
Jesus Christ though God walked as a man for our perfect example. He spoke only what He heard the Father say, He did only what He saw the Father doing and then all in the power of the Holy Spirit.
Jesus said He did the Father's works. Likewise as a yielded vessel I do the Father's work.

The following scriptures declare salvation is by grace and works (although not the source of our salvation are re good and to be desired):
Tit 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Tit 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
Tit 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Tit 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

this is really the only answer and answers it perfectly. careful attention to the context of Jas 2:24 shows that James is not talking about forensic justification by God, the act whereby He declares a sinner to be righteous. Rather, he is talking about a demonstration of righteousness before men.

Faith works by Love:
Galatians 5:6
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing nor uncircimcision; but faith which worketh by love.

To love God and thy neighbour is what the Word of God stands/hangs on.
Matthew 22:37-40
37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38) This is the first and great commandment.
39) And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40) On thee two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Paul tells us love is the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:8-10; Galatians 5:13-14). Isn't this what James is trying to say.
James 2:8
If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well.

For by comparing James 2:14-17 to I John 3:16-18, we see James is talking about Love.
James 2:14-17
14) What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15) If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food.
16) And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what does it profit?
17) Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

I John 3:16-18
16) Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17) But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
18) My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

Yes we need to abide in Jesus (John 15:5) for this kind of love, which is given by the Holy Spirit:
Romans 5:5
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

For the Scriptures tell us that love covers all sin (Proverbs 10:12b) or charity/love covers a multitude of sins (I Peter 4:8).

I really believe this is why Paul stated: "and have not charity, I am nothing." (I Corinthians 13:2)

Page four of what??

Jiggyfly:

I think you misunderstood the question Mike, the question is when it comes to abiding in Jesus , is our obedience to His commands requisites or results? The answer being either requisites or results. Abiding in Him is the subject.

It's a result.............. Or whatever you agree with.........I got lost on the original OP subject matter somewhere.

Jesus Is Lord.