• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

It's not in the bible??

Loyal
I have heard some people around here say not everything is in the Bible.

And others say everything we need to know about spiritual war fare and to be complete in Christ is in the word of God, the Bible. I fall in the second group.

But both these statements in themselves may be a little incomplete, when I say everything is in the Bible, I do not mean everything Jesus did, I do not mean everything that will happen after we die,, I mean everything we need in this current flesh form to be complete in Christ and be ready and fully armed for any spiritual battle, to grow in Christ. And you can do non of these without the Holy spirit leading and guiding and teaching you along the way !

So now that we have better understanding of what I mean when I say everything is in the Bible, I would like to get some feed back what others think.

Can some give examples of what they think we need for spiritual battle that is not instructed in the Bible through Holy spirit teaching us.

Or maybe give a example of the Holy spirit telling you something that is not found in the Bible? is that even possible?

And as a side note just because someone thinks something is not in the Bible, Does not mean it is not in the Bible, maybe just maybe it has not been revealed to you as of yet because you do not spend enough time alone with the Word of God Jesus. I know I am constantly getting new insight revelation of things I never knew that were in the Bible, we never stop growing in the word and we never grow out of the word, if you grow out of the word you are separated from Christ,, we are to grow into the word and be more like Christ for we know the word is Jesus.

If I see anyone not giving the word of God the most Holy reverence I usually get a red flag, if I see anyone discounting the word of God for personal experience I get a red flag, the word is Jesus and we are to become the WOrd and you only do that by alone time with the word.

I think Paul spent 3 years alone learning the word,,,

How much time are you spending alone with Jesus getting to know him???

Loyal

And others say everything we need to know about spiritual war fare and to be complete in Christ is in the word of God, the Bible. I fall in the second group.

But both these statements in themselves may be a little incomplete, when I say everything is in the Bible, I do not mean everything Jesus did, I do not mean everything that will happen after we die,, I mean everything we need in this current flesh form to be complete in Christ and be ready and fully armed for any spiritual battle, to grow in Christ. And you can do non of these without the Holy spirit leading and guiding and teaching you along the way !

So now that we have better understanding of what I mean when I say everything is in the Bible, I would like to get some feed back what others think.

Can some give examples of what they think we need for spiritual battle that is not instructed in the Bible through Holy spirit teaching us.

Or maybe give a example of the Holy spirit telling you something that is not found in the Bible? is that even possible?

And as a side note just because someone thinks something is not in the Bible, Does not mean it is not in the Bible, maybe just maybe it has not been revealed to you as of yet because you do not spend enough time alone with the Word of God Jesus. I know I am constantly getting new insight revelation of things I never knew that were in the Bible, we never stop growing in the word and we never grow out of the word, if you grow out of the word you are separated from Christ,, we are to grow into the word and be more like Christ for we know the word is Jesus.

If I see anyone not giving the word of God the most Holy reverence I usually get a red flag, if I see anyone discounting the word of God for personal experience I get a red flag, the word is Jesus and we are to become the WOrd and you only do that by alone time with the word.

Paul already had much more than 3 years studying the word in his previous life, he was literally a man of the word prior. It was after his spiritual encounter that he had to go back and be taught by the Holy Spirit to unlearn what he had already learned. And then learn more than study of scripture ever had given him. Scripture IS Holy, but our interpretation of it often is not holy. Jesus made that clear over and over and over as he taught the people.

Active

You hit the nail squarely on the head, everything we need to know in this life is given to us in the Scripture.

No two of us are going to believe the same things from Gen. through Rev., but we have to keep our conversation in the Scripture.

Loyal
You hit the nail squarely on the head, everything we need to know in this life is given to us in the Scripture.

No two of us are going to believe the same things from Gen. through Rev., but we have to keep our conversation in the Scripture.
If scripture has everything we need for everybody, then why did Jesus send the Holy Spirit to guide us? That would be sorta useless unless we "needed" that guidance in addition to His Holy word. The jews had God's Holy Word, and the bulk of the jews, especially the teachers of the law, rejected him and his teachings. See any similarities?

Active
Greetings; it is written, He will give you new sayings, to go with the old, that the written Word supports.

Many are plugged in, but they are not being charged.
(Many are called, but few are chosen.)
One must be born of the Holy Ghost and power (fire) to be getting charged, many say they are, but are not. We know them by their fruits.

If you will revolve your life around Christ, your very being, He will revolve around your life and become your very being.
(As I live, move, and breath, have my very being, I do so unto God.)
We can have as much, or as little as we want; it's our choice. The more time we give Him; humble and earnest heart seeking His kingdom, the more He blesses His true seeker.

Bless God first, by blessing others.
(Jesus' commandments, as well as, do all things unto God.)
By doing the latter, puts God first, and ourselves last; doing all things unto God.

These are only a couple examples of new sayings He has given me, that written scripture supports them, if one can rightly divide the Word of truth.

Loyal
If scripture has everything we need for everybody, then why did Jesus send the Holy Spirit to guide us?

As I have repeatedly said on TJ scripture we can not be understood scripture with out the Holy Spirit leading and guiding and teaching and revealing. Just look at all the people who read scripture but do not understand Jesus is God in the flesh.

My question to You @Brad Huber @Bill @Christ4Ever and anyone else who says not everything is in scripture, can you expand on that?? not sure what you mean, as I have said everything Jesus did is not found in scripture, everything that will come when we finish this age is not found in scripture but............maybe this question will help to see if we are on the same page or not

Is everything we need to Grow fully and complete in Christ in this age in scripture??? Is everything we need to be complete and 100% Armed for spiritual battle in this age in scripture? my answer to both questions is yes, how about you guys?? many thanks to anyone who simply answers the question,,,,,

Or yet another question if everything is not in scripture please share with us a example or two

Romans 8:26

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

1 Corinthians 2:13
And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.

John 14:26

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.​

John 16:13

When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.​

Loyal
John 14:26; "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

The Holy Spirit helps us understand and remember scripture. But He never gives us anything new that contradicts scripture.

I mean, anyone could say, It's OK to be gay now, God told me so. It's OK to commit adultery now, God told me so.
In fact, this is what many "Christian" churches are doing these days.

Loyal
If scripture has everything we need for everybody, then why did Jesus send the Holy Spirit to guide us? That would be sorta useless unless we "needed" that guidance in addition to His Holy word. The jews had God's Holy Word, and the bulk of the jews, especially the teachers of the law, rejected him and his teachings. See any similarities?
And this should NOT be a debate, trying to win points to declare "I was right, and you are not", it "should" be honest communication with an unhardened heart.

Loyal
John 14:26; "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

The Holy Spirit helps us understand and remember scripture. But He never gives us anything new that contradicts scripture.

I mean, anyone could say, It's OK to be gay now, God told me so. It's OK to commit adultery now, God told me so.
And "ALL" that He said to them is NOT printed in your book!!! You know this, and yet you have failed to admit it.

Loyal

And bringing up obviously fasle teachings doesnt really prove your point, like saying the nazi's did such and such.

Staff Member
As I have repeatedly said on TJ scripture we can not be understood scripture with out the Holy Spirit leading and guiding and teaching and revealing. Just look at all the people who read scripture but do not understand Jesus is God in the flesh.

My question to You @Brad Huber @Bill @Christ4Ever and anyone else who says not everything is in scripture, can you expand on that?? not sure what you mean, as I have said everything Jesus did is not found in scripture, everything that will come when we finish this age is not found in scripture but............maybe this question will help to see if we are on the same page or not

Is everything we need to Grow fully and complete in Christ in this age in scripture??? Is everything we need to be complete and 100% Armed for spiritual battle in this age in scripture? my answer to both questions is yes, how about you guys?? many thanks to anyone who simply answers the question,,,,,

Or yet another question if everything is not in scripture please share with us a example or two

Romans 8:26

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

1 Corinthians 2:13
And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.

John 14:26

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.​

John 16:13

When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.​

Dearest Brother,
Depends on which "i's" or "t's" you are looking to dot or cross? :rolleyes:

Scripture itself lets us know as you are aware of that not everything that Jesus did was recorded. What's the word say; And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen. John 21:25 KJV

Now if you're looking to insert things that might have slipped by God's attention well, I do believe even that is covered; Jesus replied, "'You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments." Matthew 22:37-40 NLT

Sadly, it is everything in-between that we have a problem with!!!

Scripture has enough, with understanding through the Holy Spirit, to live a life that will bring one closer to God, if we are faithful in applying it to our everyday life. Without which we will stumble, drag ourselves off the floor, and usually time and again, in our walk! Thankfully He is faithful even when we are not! [This is] a faithful saying: For if we died with [Him], We shall also live with [Him]. If we endure, We shall also reign with [Him]. If we deny [Him], He also will deny us. If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself. 2 Timothy 2:11-13 NKJV

Even sadder is that there are those who will twist even God's Words to suit what is to them of great importance in this life, and not necessarily to what we have been tasked to do, by our Lord & Savior Jesus. "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, "teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, [even] to the end of the age." Amen. Matthew 28:19-20 NKJV

We can't even do the things that are written, and yet harangue each other over the things that we believe are not covered in His Word that we should be doing or not doing! :confused:

So, brother we get back to the dotting & crossing of this or that. If scripture doesn't "specifically" say I can't do it, or must do it, then it's open to what each of us feels is right because that's the loophole or so many believe (beneficial). Most times this just confirms the sinful nature that is in us, which allows self-justification for our actions that we are convicted/or not (believer/non-believer) by the Holy Spirit on but choose to ignore. :( You will notice that most times only the things we shouldn't be doing, or don't want to do are the ones that are seen as excusable or not covered by scripture.

Hopefully, you know that Scripture can be used for or against just about anything, then you will understand why the Holy Spirit is needed in our lives and why those without Him or don't listen to Him, are easy prey to the adversary who has no love for us. (See Temptation of Christ)

With all that being said, I loved your opening post, because it sought to see if some out there believed that "Sola Scriptura" was enough or not. :)
In truth sometimes it is not, and that is why Brethren like yourself and others here are available to show us that it is! lol

With the Love of Christ Jesus dear brother!
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Active

Why does the Scripture tell us we have been given the Holy Spirit? Is it not for us to know how to be led?

If not for the Scripture telling us how to work with the Holy Spirit it would all be useless.

The Holy Spirit works within and according to Scripture.

Loyal
Why does the Scripture tell us we have been given the Holy Spirit? Is it not for us to know how to be led?

If not for the Scripture telling us how to work with the Holy Spirit it would all be useless.

The Holy Spirit works within and according to Scripture.
Acts 7:51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you." The Holy Spirit was trying to get through to the "scripture only" religious people of Jesus's days on earth and before. The words are "NOT" enough. They were zealous of God's word but resisted the power of the Holy Spirit for the "proper" interpretation of the word. It seems nothing changes, history repeats itself. Its very sad, you would think with history showing us the error they made, we wouldnt do the same.

Loyal
Acts 7:51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you." The Holy Spirit was trying to get through to the "scripture only" religious people of Jesus's days on earth and before. The words are "NOT" enough. They were zealous of God's word but resisted the power of the Holy Spirit for the "proper" interpretation of the word. It seems nothing changes, history repeats itself.

Active
Acts 7:51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you." The Holy Spirit was trying to get through to the "scripture only" religious people of Jesus's days on earth and before. The words are "NOT" enough. They were zealous of God's word but resisted the power of the Holy Spirit for the "proper" interpretation of the word. It seems nothing changes, history repeats itself. Its very sad, you would think with history showing us the error they made, we wouldnt do the same.

Brad, Christ was hidden in the Old Testament. It was through the Sacrificial System of the Law that Christ was found.

They (the religious leaders of Israel) perverted the Law to the point that Christ could not be found. The practicing of the Law was their God.

When Christ did come, they didn't recognize Him.

They became self-righteous in their perverted Law and separated themselves from God.

Christ is no longer hidden, we have all we need from God in His Word to run this race set before us.

Loyal
Brad, Christ was hidden in the Old Testament. It was through the Sacrificial System of the Law that Christ was found.

They (the religious leaders of Israel) perverted the Law to the point that Christ could not be found. The practicing of the Law was their God.

When Christ did come, they didn't recognize Him.

They became self-righteous in their perverted Law and separated themselves from God.

Christ is no longer hidden, we have all we need from God in His Word to run this race set before us.
Yet when Christ was revealed, they knew Him not. He came to His own, those that loved His word, but they scoffed at the power of the Holy Spirit to affect them. They "knew" the Holy Spirit guides those who are open hearted to its teaching, yet they rejected it out of fear of falling astray to some evil spirit that some weaker people might do. They were strong of spirit, a spirit hardened against anything they dont see as the "right" way. Again, many here serve a powered down Holy Spirit, they reject its power and cling to sola scripture.

Active
Yet when Christ was revealed, they knew Him not. He came to His own, those that loved His word, but they scoffed at the power of the Holy Spirit to affect them. They "knew" the Holy Spirit guides those who are open hearted to its teaching, yet they rejected it out of fear of falling astray to some evil spirit that some weaker people might do. They were strong of spirit, a spirit hardened against anything they dont see as the "right" way. Again, many here serve a powered down Holy Spirit, they reject its power and cling to sola scripture.

Yes, Israel made all those mistakes and they have no excuse. They believed they were saved just by being the natural seed of Abraham, as Paul said.

When Christ came telling them they were lost, that's when they said in their self-righteousness, this is an imposter, we don't need a Savior.

In their perversion of the Scripture they left Christ behind, and are no different now than they were 2000 years ago.

My point is that the Scripture is still being perverted. The new Covenant has been revealed to us in the blood of Christ.

The Holy Spirit works in the parameters of that New Covenant found in Scripture. Everything we need to know is there.

Loyal
Yes, Israel made all those mistakes and they have no excuse. They believed they were saved just by being the natural seed of Abraham, as Paul said.

When Christ came telling them they were lost, that's when they said in their self-righteousness, this is an imposter, we don't need a Savior.

In their perversion of the Scripture they left Christ behind, and are no different now than they were 2000 years ago.

My point is that the Scripture is still being perverted. The new Covenant has been revealed to us in the blood of Christ.

The Holy Spirit works in the parameters of that New Covenant found in Scripture. Everything we need to know is there.
Blind leading the blind, believe what you will, you were warned.