• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What to expect in hell

What to expect in hell

• Annihilation - Instant destruction

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Universalism - Suffering for a while and then united with Jesus

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Eternal torment - Limited suffering, not such a bad place, mostly pet friendly

• Eternal torment - limited suffering, a horrible environment, no pets

• Eternal torment - torturous, excruciating pain and suffering, no pets

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Active
Lets look at that in context -

Rom 2: 5 -7" But because of your hard and unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of wrath, when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed. 6God “will repay each one according to his deeds.” 7To those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life.… But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger."

There are ONLY two deeds mention here. Not hundreds to judge and arrange different sentencing/punishment on.

DEED 1. To those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life.
Doing good is obeying Gods Salvation Plan to become a New Creature IN Christ. Only Christ is good and righteous and pure.

DEED 2 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.
rejecting the plan - is doing evil as you are found in your OWN righteousness.

This is another troll post? You are forcing me to explain what storing up wrath means?

When Covid hit, people stored up food. This means that when they went home, there was a lot of food at home. They could eat for a while without needing to go to the shop. Now if someone had to not submit their tax returns for a few years. They will get penalized for every year they did not submit. They have stored up a tax liability. Now, when someone does something evil and escapes punishment, every time they do this, they will be storing up punishment for the day they meet a God that is all knowing. This topic is not up for debate. Store up wrath = differing punishments according to the wrath stored up. This is a 'duh' fact.

Outside of this scripture, you would still need to explain how the English translated word describing God in over 50 verses as '' JUST '' does not actually mean ''' JUST ''. Start with Job 34:12. When Job says it is unthinkable that God would pervert justice, explain to me how you think the word unthinkable does not mean unthinkable and the word just does not mean just. Or, as I asked in the post above, explain how you think dishing out the same punishment for all is ''just'' and not a gross perversion of justice. I can confidently state that 99% of everyone on this planet with a working brain will agree with me on it being a gross perversion of justice. I repeat, read Cor 6:1-9 and meditate on it.

You are dodging!!

All the votes on the last option in my poll, tell the lost that God loves and died for, that He sit a top a list of the most evil beings to ever live. A Christian cannot fail harder at their one job of being an ambassador of God 2 Cor 5:20.
In this matter it seems that your viewpoint is an outlier.

You could start your own sect of Christianity.

Maybe it is the future of Christianity - no one knows.

But for the last two thousand ears Hell has been a bad place to spend eternity with agonising torture and pain.

This is another troll post? You are forcing me to explain what storing up wrath means?

When Covid hit, people stored up food. This means that when they went home, there was a lot of food at home. They could eat for a while without needing to go to the shop. Now if someone had to not submit their tax returns for a few years. They will get penalized for every year they did not submit. They have stored up a tax liability. Now, when someone does something evil and escapes punishment, every time they do this, they will be storing up punishment for the day they meet a God that is all knowing. This topic is not up for debate. Store up wrath = differing punishments according to the wrath stored up. This is a 'duh' fact.

Outside of this scripture, you would still need to explain how the English translated word describing God in over 50 verses as '' JUST '' does not actually mean ''' JUST ''. Start with Job 34:12. When Job says it is unthinkable that God would pervert justice, explain to me how you think the word unthinkable does not mean unthinkable and the word just does not mean just. Or, as I asked in the post above, explain how you think dishing out the same punishment for all is ''just'' and not a gross perversion of justice. I can confidently state that 99% of everyone on this planet with a working brain will agree with me on it being a gross perversion of justice. I repeat, read Cor 6:1-9 and meditate on it.

You are dodging!!

Seeing you are referring to the book of Job, which has a fascinating story line - portraying a dialogue between a sinful man, unbelieving friends over the concepts of God and Satan . Lets dive deeper.

Job34:12 KJV "Yea, surely God will not do wickedly,

In New Testament lenses (which is how ALL Old Testament verses must be looked at - through Jesus goggles if you may) this means: he will not condemn the righteous - he will not condemn them - for there is no condemnation to them that are in Christ; his righteousness, by which they are justified, secures them from all condemnation. Christians escape the eternal condemnation of God.

'neither will the Almighty pervert judgment.'

God cannot pronounce a wrong sentence or decline the execution of justice or swerve from the rule of it or do a wrong thing.

He has no choice BUT to punish. Yet he has made a way of escape by pouring wrath and punishment on his own Son.
If not in Christ that punishment comes rightfully and justifiably on you .

Eternal punishment / torment is 100% scriptural. It chiefly refers to eternal separation. No disagreement on that.
Now we are getting somewhere.

What we agree on; (say yes or no - so we stop going around in circles).

1. Hell is eternal
2. Hell has misery, torment, horror and unending remorse, guilt, and shame
3. Hell has unquenchable torturous burning furnace like fire
4. Hell has the devil and trillions of demons and billions of humans
5, Hell is eternal separation; from God which is the ultimate punishment, from personal loved ones, from any peace, goodness or light etc.
6. Hell will have the agony and anguish of being cut off from every avenue of happiness.
7, Hell is not a nice place of habitation
8. Hell is a place of incarceration for divine punishment.
9. Hell will be a state of perpetual sin
10. Hell will consist of physical torture as well
11. Hell is a place of conscious punishment.
12. Those who propagate Annihilationism are in error.

What we don't agree upon is that:

1. People will have different degrees of punishment
2. People will have different lengths of sentence
3. People will still stay in hell when their sentence is finished

Active
Seeing you are referring to the book of Job, which has a fascinating story line - portraying a dialogue between a sinful man, unbelieving friends over the concepts of God and Satan . Lets dive deeper.

Job34:12 KJV "Yea, surely God will not do wickedly,

In New Testament lenses (which is how ALL Old Testament verses must be looked at - through Jesus goggles if you may) this means: he will not condemn the righteous - he will not condemn them - for there is no condemnation to them that are in Christ; his righteousness, by which they are justified, secures them from all condemnation. Christians escape the eternal condemnation of God.

'neither will the Almighty pervert judgment.'

God cannot pronounce a wrong sentence or decline the execution of justice or swerve from the rule of it or do a wrong thing.

He has no choice BUT to punish. Yet he has made a way of escape by pouring wrath and punishment on his own Son.
If not in Christ that punishment comes rightfully and justifiably on you .

I am not against punishment. Only that it must be according to what you did. You are dodging all my points raised and scriptures provided. You are going in circles. My reply to you would be a repost. Please can you reread my posts to you and re-reply, dealing with the points raised.

Active

1. Hell is eternal
5, Hell is eternal separation; from God which is the ultimate punishment, from personal loved ones, from any peace, goodness or light etc.
6. Hell will have the agony and anguish of being cut off from every avenue of happiness.

No, we agree that hell is eternal. The rest you have typed is your assumptions that are not supported by scripture. Please reread my OP to understand why I agree with you on it being an eternal punishment.

Active
Maybe it is the future of Christianity - no one knows.

Disagree. We do know that God is good and just. So we can expect the best case scenario. I have given you the scriptures.

But for the last two thousand ears Hell has been a bad place to spend eternity with agonising torture and pain.

Assumption to group all in that space. I will agree that there has always been a majority of people teaching and assuming the worse on hell.

Many preachers teach a cruel hell for extra tithes and many do simply not know God. That they teach all that He is worse then the devil in the afterlife somehow flies over their heads. Absolutely shocking.

All I can say is, imagine being that person standing before God of the universe on judgement day and being guilty of teaching the lost that loved and died for, that He sit atop a list of the most evil beings to ever live. :sweat:

Active

1. Hell is eternal

Apologies Eddie, I misread you in my reply #786 ;).

1. Yes
2. Disagree. Those sold out to a love of what is wicked are generally not remorseful or will beat themselves up with guilt. Torment will be an Initial torment in fire for your sins on earth and then torment of fire as and when you sin. Not sure about horrors, I don't expect any.
3. Yes, but not all are there. It is a lake that I believe will be in the center of a massive place. A place that can house billions of humans and trillions of angels.
4. Eternal separation for those in hell. But there is no scripture that says loved ones in heaven can't visit. I could argue that scripture points to it more then against it.
5. I don't agree. God can come and go as He pleases. He still interacts with the devil. There is so much to God we don't know. He is Creator that loves His creation despite how much they hate Him.
6. Disagree 100%, see my OP.
7. Not sure. Scripture only mentions the curses of hell. Not so much the niceties.
8. I wouldn't state it like that. There is nothing you can do with unrepentant sinners except to put them in a prison.
9. Not a state, but sure there will be sin. Unrepentant sinners continue to sin. A punishment of fire every time they sin may create gaps between sin, but sin is inevitable.
10. Disagree. There is no torture in hell. Torment of fire described by Jesus in Luke 16 is not torture on par with putting someone in a brazen bull as explained here Discussion on Torture.
11. Yes
12. Yes, but forgivable. Many believe this as a torturous hell incriminates God and per scripture, God is really really really good.

On the last three, yes, we agree.