• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Why do Christians rarely talk about Angels ?

I think the angels are very relevant. They're the defenders and can keep the forces of evil that we can deal with away. I also believe God uses angels to aid in the miraculous.

There's a story that Ben Crandall always tells that I love. There was this Christian man who lived in Germany in World War II. He and his wife took a train to Switzerland and were never caught. When they got to Switzerland, their money ran out. Well, every Saturday morning his wife always made out a grocery list and then go buy groceries later that day. One Saturday after they arrived in Switzerland, she made the list out knowing that she and her husband didn't have any money.and just set it on the table. Well, a little over an hour later, there was a knock at the door and it was a man dressed in a white outfit like the old grocery workers would dress back then. He came in and said "Here are the groceries you ordered". He set them on the table and everything that was on the list was in the bags. He left and when they went out to thank him, he was gone.

Loyal
Why do Christians rarely talk about Angels ?
As a child I heard about Angels in Sunday school, but I realized as adults we don't talk about Angels.

Is this in some way to distance ourselves from new age beliefs ?

Newsboys - Entertaining Angels - YouTube | Talk Jesus

I think for several reasons. First, some in the christian faith want to focus on Jesus only. Second, thier was a war recorded in heaven, with a third of the angels fighting against God and the other two thirds. The 1/3 with satan lost and was cast out of heaven onto earth. I assume they were cast to earth due to it already being fallen. And people fear being led astray by fallen angels, who know how to pretend to be angels of light. Last of all, some have seen others focus on angels to the point of worshipping them and fear being led astray in the same way.

I neither fear the fallen angels due to the strong man in my house (the Holy Spirit) whom they cannot overcome. And I know the angels who are true to thier calling are messengers of God mostly, and I want to be open to any message they might have for me. Yet I do look to any message given me to see its validity according to the word, and the fruit of eating the message. We all must as scripture says, test the spirits, to see if the message is from God.

Just the other day, I think I saw my guardian angel in a dream. He told me He was protecting me from the plans of the evil one against me. Its nice to know that not only do I have the wisdom of the Holy Spirit residing within, but an angelic warrior protecting me.

[/QUOTE]

They're the defenders and can keep the forces of evil that we can deal with away.

Sorry. I meant to type "...keep the forces of evil we can't deal with away."

Active
@The Knight , @Brad Huber Thank you both for responding.
I've gotten weird looks, or online it goes straight into a new age conversation when I ask if they believe in Angels. I've wondered if Angels was an off limit topic for christians.

Loyal
There are whole religions built around angels, that have nothing to do with God or Jesus.
There are even some people in my immediate family who believe everyone turns into an angel when they die and lives in heaven.
There are people who worship angels, (Satan is an angel) There are people who pray to angels.
Some people are enamored by them, I have been in houses with literally hundreds of angel posters and statues, and books about angels.

2 Cor 11:14; No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
2 Cor 11:15; Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.

Gal 1:8; But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!

It seems not all angels are what we think they are.

As a trivial side note: No female angels are mentioned in the Bible, yet most statues are female.
The other common portrayal of angels is naked baby's with wings. (the cherebums in Ezek 1 as described quite differently)

Loyal
There are indeed religions built around even good things. Like for instance those who value the bible more than the Holy Spirit.

Administrator
Staff Member
@Brad Huber summed up exactly what I was about to type. In all truth know according to the Word, Angels are important in many ways and God almost always used Angels it seems when speaking to men and women in the bible.