• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Yin Yang?

Yang, being positive and creation power would be associated with God.
Yin, being negative and the power to destroy would be associated with
Satan. Essentially, the theory amounts to affirming that God and Satan
work together, but, God the Son was sent to destroy the works of the devil (1 John 3:8).

I think these are poor examples to try and comparewith one another. Is it really possible to compare the Holy Father God Almighty maker of everything, with Henry Ford maker of the Ford Model A?

I think these are poor examples to try and comparewith one another. Is it really possible to compare the Holy Father God Almighty maker of everything, with Henry Ford maker of the Ford Model A?
It isn't possible your right. But many people have fallen
for things like this, and is included in many eastern religions.

there is no fellowship between light and darkness. also darkness cannot dwell where there is light. i suggest leaving philosophy from cultures who generaly reject Jesus alone.

"fallen for things like this" is condescending, no?

No, it is not condescending. It is merely truth.
Just as eddieb pointed out, the philosophy of yin and
yang is a flawed one.

Examples: Since there is some yin
(female) in the yang (male), which is represented by the little
dot, and some yang in the yin, the concept of bisexuality is
also symbolized.

There is really no good or bad according to the Taoist/yin-yang
view, only what appears to be good or bad. There is no life and
death because "Life and death are one, right and wrong are the same."

There are seven laws concerning the yin/yang, one of which is:
"2. Everything changes."
The idea that "everything changes" does not agree with the Bible.
There we find that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and
forever (Hebrews 13:8). He doesn't change. James 1:17 also states:
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh
down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither
shadow of turning." Malachi 3:6 tells us: "I am the Lord, I CHANGE NOT."

2nd Peter 2:1 warns, "But there were false prophets also
among the people, even as there shall be false teachers
among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies,
even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon
themselves swift destruction." The entire concept of Yin/Yang
rejects the Biblical teaching of Christ's deity.

No, it is not condescending. It is merely truth.
Just as eddieb pointed out, the philosophy of yin and
yang is a flawed one.

Examples: Since there is some yin
(female) in the yang (male), which is represented by the little
dot, and some yang in the yin, the concept of bisexuality is
also symbolized.

There is really no good or bad according to the Taoist/yin-yang
view, only what appears to be good or bad. There is no life and
death because "Life and death are one, right and wrong are the same."

There are seven laws concerning the yin/yang, one of which is:
"2. Everything changes."
The idea that "everything changes" does not agree with the Bible.
There we find that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and
forever (Hebrews 13:8). He doesn't change. James 1:17 also states:
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh
down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither
shadow of turning." Malachi 3:6 tells us: "I am the Lord, I CHANGE NOT."

2nd Peter 2:1 warns, "But there were false prophets also
among the people, even as there shall be false teachers
among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies,
even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon
themselves swift destruction." The entire concept of Yin/Yang
rejects the Biblical teaching of Christ's deity.

just as the entire concept of Christianity rejects the Taoist teachings?

Loyal

You seem like a nice intelligent person, but I sometimes wonder at the questions you ask. Are you a Christian? How long have you been saved? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but these are basic Christian beliefs.

Anything that isn't from the Bible is pretty much a false teaching. Any teaching that teaches morality and peace comes from within is a false teaching. Re-incarnation, also false. These eastern mysticism religions have been around a long time (of course Christians believe that Jesus/God created the unverse and earth,so nothing was around before they were) but when you really look at them, they are just another attempt at taking God out of the picture and putting man (self) in his place.

Yes, because the Taoist teachings are riddled
with contradictions and false claims.
People claim that:

The cosmic Tao is invisible, inaudible, unnameable, undiscussible, and inexpressible.
If the Tao is truly inexpressible, how is it that the
attributes of the Tao are then being expressed by the
same group of people?
Example:

Vacancy, stillness, placidity, tastelessness,quietude, silence, non-action, this is the level of Heaven and Earth, and the perfection of the Tao
Has it ever occurred to you that Taoism itself
may be a yin of misguided thinking, in need of
deliverance from the 'yang' of truth? Jesus once said,
"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life." John 14:6
and "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall
set you free." John 8:32. Could it be that Jesus is
the answer for Taoists who ask the following question?

“There was something undefined and complete, coming into existence before Heaven and Earth. It may be regarded as the Mother of all things. I do not know its name…” (The Tao Te King, chapter XXV).

You seem like a nice intelligent person, but I sometimes wonder at the questions you ask. Are you a Christian? How long have you been saved? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but these are basic Christian beliefs.

Anything that isn't from the Bible is pretty much a false teaching. Any teaching that teaches morality and peace comes from within is a false teaching. Re-incarnation, also false. These eastern mysticism religions have been around a long time (of course Christians believe that Jesus/God created the unverse and earth,so nothing was around before they were) but when you really look at them, they are just another attempt at taking God out of the picture and putting man (self) in his place.

oh, i'm a believer alright. i just like questioning possibilities every now and again. no offense meant :eek:)

Well let me mess around a bit........I once met a Chinese guy named Yin, but have never met one called Yang. (Giggle) :coocoo:

I am married to a Hindu girl, was a Hindu, now she is Gods child but still full of it. Sometimes I may be wrong and about to act the fool and she will fix it. God is pretty smart.

Those religions are baseless actually. They try to use the spirit of man to obtain Narvana however you spill that. The inner peace of man obtained by man, by extreme sacrifice and by denial of comfort, joy, peace and simple life.

They are an impossible and extreme requirement placed upon themselves , a goal never to be obtained.

This is why God so very easily speaks to us, only he has provided a way of Grace. He just tells us, you are not perfect, never will be perfect, but you are forgiven by Grace. This does not mean to act the fool and deliberately continue to sin, but that he will guide and help us and Grace is our salvation. The true God is not a religion, it is a way of truth. It is provided by our Creator a walk of life for a greater purpose. A message of truth in all things that will speak to you and give you true comfort.

We as humans can never save ourselves. Totally impossible and this is what those religions try to do.

Kit

The yin and yang symbol doesn't exactly fit into the christian religion. This is a fact only because it isn't mentioned in the bible itself. The yin and yang symbol is much like most other symbols, where it has different meaning to different people or different beliefs.

It symbolizes opposites existing at the same time. Light and dark, good and evil, high and low, hot and cold, etc etc etc. This is the most popular meaning of the yin and yang.

People address this symbol as bad because it also in some beliefs refers to a balance of good and evil. Not so much as a battle between the two, but a choice we can make to stay on one side or the other. I also seen some ridiculous statement about it representing bi-sexuality, which is 100% false. No offense to the poster of that comment of course.

Symbols are bad when used for bad things. A prime example of this is the swastika. A vast majority of people see the swastika as an evil symbol because it is seen to represent nazism and the violent and unfair actions by the Nazi's during their time of power under Hitler. However, this symbol did and still does exist in other cultures and/or beliefs around the world. The swastika itself, is not an evil symbol.

Let's look at some examples to shed some light when we compare Christianity with the yin and yang. We know now the yin and yang represents opposites existing at the same time, lets start from there. There is obviously good and evil in the world, it exists at the same time. Good and evil (morality and sin) also exists within a saved Christian as well. Saved Christians will sometimes slip up and do something wrong. God and Satan exist at the same time. There are many other examples, but I think this covers it.

So the yin and yang doesn't fit into the Christian religion, but we can use it to help educate ourselves in certain ways. We can use it to understand that both good and evil does really exist (which should be obvious enough). We shouldn't worship these types of things, but from a Christian perspective we can take a lot from it.

Also I would like to add that these are definitions for the symbols themselves, without any religious attachments in them. They might very well have originated from some type of religious belief, but since it is 2011 and we are educated enough to separate things that shouldn't matter. :)

Well let me mess around a bit........I once met a Chinese guy named Yin, but have never met one called Yang. (Giggle) :coocoo:

I am married to a Hindu girl, was a Hindu, now she is Gods child but still full of it. Sometimes I may be wrong and about to act the fool and she will fix it. God is pretty smart.

Those religions are baseless actually. They try to use the spirit of man to obtain Narvana however you spill that. The inner peace of man obtained by man, by extreme sacrifice and by denial of comfort, joy, peace and simple life.

They are an impossible and extreme requirement placed upon themselves , a goal never to be obtained.

This is why God so very easily speaks to us, only he has provided a way of Grace. He just tells us, you are not perfect, never will be perfect, but you are forgiven by Grace. This does not mean to act the fool and deliberately continue to sin, but that he will guide and help us and Grace is our salvation. The true God is not a religion, it is a way of truth. It is provided by our Creator a walk of life for a greater purpose. A message of truth in all things that will speak to you and give you true comfort.

We as humans can never save ourselves. Totally impossible and this is what those religions try to do.

Kit

i'm guessing you've either completely ruled out or never considered the reincarnation angle

i'm guessing you've either completely ruled out or never considered the reincarnation angle

Yes in some religions to be re created again and again is the goal till you do obtain perfection . But if you are bad you come back as an goat. If you are good you come back as a new person.

Quite simply never did make any sense to me.

If all were done by reincarnation, then you would have to start out with say 10 people and when one dies, come back as another person so there are ten again, and as all of us are bad sometimes, soon we would all be ant eaters. Lol! The population would go down or at least stay the same, but as new children are born daily and population does increase then reincarnation defeats itself before it begins.

I am highly curious, and look at all angles and question everything. I try to apply science and reason to everything.

The only thing that ever has allowed me to apply science and reason with something that does speak to me has been Gods word. In it we see the human mind, our failings, our ways, and it is so totally in tune with us, that it speaks to you when you allow it to. It shows me the ultimate scientist and creator is God.

Oh sure some of it is told in parable and in ways that are strange, and some things have been mis-copied or translated but the overall truth always comes forward , and the only way it does is the Holy Spirit does pop into your mind and say, look, this is how it works.

Naw, do not believe in reincarnation. It never met my test of common sense and reason.

Kit

Yes in some religions to be re created again and again is the goal till you do obtain perfection . But if you are bad you come back as an goat. If you are good you come back as a new person.

Quite simply never did make any sense to me.

Kit

Your right. And it also goes against the Bible in saying
that we are given God's grace and it is faith in Him
that leads us to Heaven. If we had to be perfect to get
to Heaven, then I sure wouldn't get there.

I believe it does that is from my standpoinnt. To me yin and yan are just black and white good and bad. Yes if you look far enought into it you can find bad in it but to me it is just good and bad , black and white. It woud be like someone saying to me taking marcal arts or king fu san soo is wrong. And I only take it for two reason one to protect mysef and the outere to help me with my health. In fact the person who brought kun fu san soo here to the united states became a Christian before he died.

People address this symbol as bad because it also in some beliefs refers to a balance of good and evil. Not so much as a battle between the two, but a choice we can make to stay on one side or the other. I also seen some ridiculous statement about it representing bi-sexuality, which is 100% false. No offense to the poster of that comment of course.

How is it false?

Historically, traditional Chinese medicine practitioners
thought that bisexuality helped 'balance the yin and yang
energies within the body.'