Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What to expect in hell

What to expect in hell

• Annihilation - Instant destruction

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Universalism - Suffering for a while and then united with Jesus

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Eternal torment - Limited suffering, not such a bad place, mostly pet friendly

• Eternal torment - limited suffering, a horrible environment, no pets

• Eternal torment - torturous, excruciating pain and suffering, no pets

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Isa 13:9 . . Behold, the day of The Lord comes-- cruel; with both wrath and
fierce anger

The Hebrew word for "wrath" in that statement is 'ebrah (eb-raw') which indicates
an outburst of passion. In other words: the wrath of God won't be weeping big wet
crocodile tears while it's slamming the dead at the Great White Throne event
depicted at Rev 20:11-15; no, they will be terminated with extreme prejudice; viz:
their judgment will be administered with unkindness. (cf. Isa 63:1-6, Rev 19:15)

Webster's defines "fierce" as a behavior exhibited by humans and animals that
inspires terror because of the wild and menacing aspect of fury in attack. Ferocity is
an aspect commonly seen among carnivorous beasts savagely attacking prey. There's
neither sportsmanship nor sympathy in ferocity; only sheer terror, brutality, and blood
lust.

"cruel" is defined as: disposed to inflict pain or suffering; viz: devoid of humane
feelings

Heb 10:27 . . A certain fearful expectation of . . . fiery indignation

"fiery indignation" is quite a bit more severe than ordinary indignation. It speaks of
someone who is seriously ticked off; and so angry that they're actually red in the
face.

There are people out there in pews all around the world who have been so coddled
by sappy versions of Christianity that they have no concept of the magnitude of the
lethal tsunami of rage and violence coming their way to get them.

Another interesting aspect of the wrath of God is the person appointed to
administer it-- none other than the sweet little babe away in a manger.

John 5:22-23 . .The Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to
the Son, that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father.

Acts 17:31 . . For God has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by
the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from
the dead.

Rev 19:15 . . He shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treads the winepress
of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
_

I'm glad you take that stance with scripture. As far as it being a "fiery" type place, here is what scripture says. No commentary necessary.

Matt 3:10; "The axe is already laid at the root of the trees; therefore every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
Matt 3:12; "His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
Matt 7:19; "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
Matt 13:40; "So just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age.
Matt 13:42; and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matt 13:50; and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matt 18:8; "If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire.
Matt 25:41; "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;
Mark 9:43; "If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire,
Mark 9:44; [where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.]
Mark 9:46; [where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.]
Mark 9:48; where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.
Luke 3:9; "Indeed the axe is already laid at the root of the trees; so every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire."
Luke 3:17; "His winnowing fork is in His hand to thoroughly clear His threshing floor, and to gather the wheat into His barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
John 15:6; "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.
Matt 5:22; "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.
Matt 18:9; "If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell.

2Pet 3:7; But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
Jude 1:7; just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.
Jude 1:23; save others, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment polluted by the flesh.
Luke 16:24; "And he cried out and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.'

It is completely forgivable to assume the worst when reading 'furnace of fire', but see the verse you quoted of the rich being in agony and asking for a drop of water, this is not something we ask for in a typical fire. We ask for bucket loads of water and would be screaming, not holding an intellectual conversation.

I do not argue that there is fire. Day 1 to eternity. My chief argument is that you are ignoring those verses that describe the exact type of suffering, in the case of weeping and gnashing of teeth the reason for the suffering and then all the other verses about God, such as Him being just Job 34:12, rewarding each exactly according to what they did Rom 2:6.

Hell is an eternity for billions of humans and trillions (some scholars estimate around 130 trillion) fallen angels, we cannot think a few verses mentioning fire define the A-Z of hell and of God's punishment. Hell will be a functioning society. That should be obvious. Please read my OP, I speak on the context of fire with scripture.

The passage of the worms not dying, I will come back to you on it. The only passage I know of this is the one that refers to 'worms not dying' as it seems 'forever' when they eat all the bodies of dead from Armageddon. But I see the verse you quoted, Jesus is alluding to hell not post Armageddon.

quoted of the rich being in agony and asking for a drop of water, this is not something we ask for in a typical fire.

That is a good point, and I concede there are different levels of agony and torment.

Luke 16:23; "In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and *saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luke 16:28; for I have five brothers—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
2Cor 12:7; Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself!
Rev 9:5; And they were not permitted to kill anyone, but to torment for five months; and their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it stings a man.
Rev 14:11; "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."
Rev 18:7; "To the degree that she glorified herself and lived sensuously, to the same degree give her torment and mourning; for she says in her heart, 'I SIT as A QUEEN AND I AM NOT A WIDOW, and will never see mourning.'

Rev 14:10; he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.
Rev 20:10; And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
1Sam 16:14; Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD terrorized him.

For example: Paul says a messenger from Satan tormented him ( 2Cor 12:7; ) now, I don't imagine Paul was in excruciating pain, screaming out in uncontrollable agony the entire time.
I assume he was able to eat, sleep and function normally for the most part during this time.

Then we have the "scorpions" (or whatever they are) in Revelation 9:5; When they sting you, it's like "the torment" of being stung by a scorpion for 5 months. To be honest I have never been stung
by a scorpion, so I don't know what it feels like. But I have been stung by bees, wasps, and hornets a few times in my life. They say a scorpion hurts worse, I don't know. But the insects were plenty
painful enough for me. When I was a young child, it was painful enough to make me cry.

Finally we have the torment of Revelation 14:10-11, and Revelation 20:10; To me, this is another level of pain. For one thing, instead of only a few hours ( bee sting ) or 5 months ( scorpion ) it's ... forever.
Also, it seems that the torment here is bad enough, that they never get any sleep or rest ( do we sleep in the after-life? ). I can sleep through pretty bad pain sometimes. If it's bad enough to keep me
from sleeping, then it's pretty painful. I have also had 2nd degree sunburn more than once. That kept me from sleeping for a couple of days. I was pretty miserable.

Another thought here. I admit this is pure speculation, and I have no scripture to support it. But it seems some people believe there will be different levels in heaven and hell.
Like floors in an elevator. Some people will get greater rewards than others, and have a "higher place" ( greater rewards) than others in heaven. ( Heb 11:35; )
But some people believe just the opposite is also true, Some people will get worse pain than others, they will go to the lower parts of hell.

For me personally, I hope I never find out how hot hell is.

Last edited:
FAQ: Doesn't the Bible say that God's mercy endures forever per Ps 100:5, Ps
106:1, Ps 107:1, and Ps 118:1, et al?

REPLY: God's mercy is very durable; but His good sense knows when to say

"when". Examples of that are the people swept away by the hand of God in the
Flood, and those burned to death by the hand of God in Sodom and Gomorrah; and
the firstborn of man and beast slain by the hand of God on Passover night in Egypt.

It's possible to push God too far. For example:

Hos 4:17 . . Ephraim is joined to idols; let him alone.

In other words: God instructed the prophet Hosea not to bother preaching in
Ephraim because He was fed up with them.

Down at the end of all with which we are familiar, the announcement below will be
made.

Rev 22:11 . . Let the evildoer still do evil, and the filthy still be filthy, and the
righteous still do right, and the holy still be holy.

In other words: the people to whom those words pertain, will be stuck with who
and what they are with no chance of ever being any different. That's good news for
the righteous and/or holy, whereas really bad news for folks who end up on the
wrong side of things. The ones in Hell will forever be unfit to be anywhere else.
_

There is no evidence of God torturing satan and his fellow angels. That is your personal opinion off of a scripture mentioning fire.

There is only one scripture that gives a reason for 'weeping and gnashing of teeth'. That is Luke 13:28 and it is clearly due only to a separation from God.

The only scripture we find on 'the pain' of fire is the story of the rich man and Lazarus. Rich man holding a conversation and asking only for a drop of water on his tongue. Not something you ask for if you are in as you say 'boiling oil'.

The boiling oil, Dantes inferno are personal insertions.

God is just Job 34:12 and rewards according to what we did Rom 2:6. Important to note that Rom 2:6 does not state 'eye for an eye' type punishment.

The devil wants us to believe God is wicked. He is behind Dantes inferno. What crime must someone have committed for them to be thrown into boiling oil for all eternity? :confused:
God is clear on this issue. He views that there are only two types of people. One a "Child of God" - the other a "Child of Satan". He see us as Christs or Satan's.

John 16:8,11, And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: · Of sin, because they believe not on me

for they have Satan, not God, as their father.

John 8:44.You belong to your father, the devil.....

One with the devil. Of his family and offspring. Thus the same punishment due for the devil is the unbelievers destiny as well. God sees clearly here.

You are either a Child of God or a child of the devil.

No in between. No degrees of being of God or of Satan. If you are not a child of God you are a child of Satan. Very clear.

God as God is entitled to punish Satan and his offspring as he sees fit. The devil wants us to believe that Hell is not so bad. And that your punishment will be related or adjusted according to your individual degree of sin. Which is NOT as God sees it.

When God looks at a Child of God he sees - Christ..

When God looks at a child of Satan he sees - Satan.

The crime one commits to be sent to hell and suffer eternal punishment is the rejection of Christ and Fathers Salvation plan.

THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN!

All sin is forgiven via a contrite, humble and repentant heart with godly remorse before the Judgement Day. After it is too late. And exactly why Paul said today is the day of salvation, not tomorrow, because tomorrow can be too late..

That is a good point, and I concede there are different levels of agony and torment.

Luke 16:23; "In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and *saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luke 16:28; for I have five brothers—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
2Cor 12:7; Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself!
Rev 9:5; And they were not permitted to kill anyone, but to torment for five months; and their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it stings a man.
Rev 14:11; "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."
Rev 18:7; "To the degree that she glorified herself and lived sensuously, to the same degree give her torment and mourning; for she says in her heart, 'I SIT as A QUEEN AND I AM NOT A WIDOW, and will never see mourning.'

Rev 14:10; he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.
Rev 20:10; And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
1Sam 16:14; Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD terrorized him.

For example: Paul says a messenger from Satan tormented him ( 2Cor 12:7; ) now, I don't imagine Paul was in excruciating pain, screaming out in uncontrollable agony the entire time.
I assume he was able to eat, sleep and function normally for the most part during this time.

Then we have the "scorpions" (or whatever they are) in Revelation 9:5; When they sting you, it's like "the torment" of being stung by a scorpion for 5 months. To be honest I have never been stung
by a scorpion, so I don't know what it feels like. But I have been stung by bees, wasps, and hornets a few times in my life. They say a scorpion hurts worse, I don't know. But the insects were plenty
painful enough for me. When I was a young child, it was painful enough to make me cry.

Finally we have the torment of Revelation 14:10-11, and Revelation 20:10; To me, this is another level of pain. For one thing, instead of only a few hours ( bee sting ) or 5 months ( scorpion ) it's ... forever.
Also, it seems that the torment here is bad enough, that they never get any sleep or rest ( do we sleep in the after-life? ). I can sleep through pretty bad pain sometimes. If it's bad enough to keep me
from sleeping, then it's pretty painful. I have also had 2nd degree sunburn more than once. That kept me from sleeping for a couple of days. I was pretty miserable.

Another thought here. I admit this is pure speculation, and I have no scripture to support it. But it seems some people believe there will be different levels in heaven and hell.
Like floors in an elevator. Some people will get greater rewards than others, and have a "higher place" ( greater rewards) than others in heaven. ( Heb 11:35; )
But some people believe just the opposite is also true, Some people will get worse pain than others, they will go to the lower parts of hell.

For me personally, I hope I never find out how hot hell is.

The plagues of Revelations and even those on the Egyptians is certainly a type of torture.

My statement is ''God does not torture those sold out to a love of wickedness''. IE God does not torture those clearly en route to Hades or in Hades. With plagues, we are not dealing with people sold out to a love of sin 'yet'.

Plagues point to God 'trying' to get people to repent. Almost every verse mentioning a new type of plague in Revelations, ends with ''they repented not''. As a reader with no preconceptions, this points to God hoping they will repent. Plagues increase in severity. It is clearly God trying to get people to repent. As this is God's motivation for 'torture', He can be judged as 'good'. In the case of God torturing those who have no hope, He cannot be judged as 'good'.

I do believe however in a harsh initial punishment of all the wicked. The devil for example suffers a special type of punishment in front of God and the angels. Jesus, suffered a special kind of once off punishment when He was beaten. Scripture uses that beating as the specific reason for our healing from sin in Isa 53:5 But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes, we are healed. The initial punishment God dishes out could certainly be a kind of torture for many, those that commit grievous sins in their life time. As scripture says Rom 2:6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.”. Important to note that Jesus was beaten for a moment of time within a day. Not for weeks and years. Let alone 'eternity'. This beating within a day satisfied God to wash clean the sins of all who believe in Him and repent of their sins. Important fact to consider on punishment for sins.

God is clear on this issue. He views that there are only two types of people. One a "Child of God" - the other a "Child of Satan". He see us as Christs or Satan's.

John 16:8,11, And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: · Of sin, because they believe not on me

for they have Satan, not God, as their father.

John 8:44.You belong to your father, the devil.....

One with the devil. Of his family and offspring. Thus the same punishment due for the devil is the unbelievers destiny as well. God sees clearly here.

Rom 2:6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.

If God dished out an equal punishment for all sinners, that would be a perversion of justice. God does not pervert justice Job 34:12.

God as God is entitled to punish Satan and his offspring as he sees fit.

And He sees fit to be 'righteous in all His ways to the exclusion of none' Psalm 145:17.

Anyone insinuating God will be evil in a vastly unknown future event is truly in dangerous territory of misrepresenting God to the lost He died for.

The devil wants us to believe that Hell is not so bad. And that your punishment will be related or adjusted according to your individual degree of sin. Which is NOT as God sees it.

Why would the devil want us to believe hell is not that bad? He does not. You have that backwards. The devil wants us to believe hell is a place of torture. This incriminates God. If people see God as evil, nobody will care to serve him.

I only serve God because He is good. If He were good and evil like a human, demigods of Greek mythology for example, there will be no truly devout servants. If He were evil, nobody would serve Him of their own free will.

The devil wants to come across as the angel of light.

2 Cor 11:4 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can teach that hell will be a place of eternal torture if it is a place designed by a God who is defined as good Psalm 136:1, love 1 John 4:8, light with no darkness 1 John 1:5, righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17, Impartial Acts 10:34 and just Job 34:12.

When God looks at a Child of God he sees - Christ..

When God looks at a child of Satan he sees - Satan.

The crime one commits to be sent to hell and suffer eternal punishment is the rejection of Christ and Fathers Salvation plan.

THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN!

All sin is forgiven via a contrite, humble and repentant heart with godly remorse before the Judgement Day. After it is too late. And exactly why Paul said today is the day of salvation, not tomorrow, because tomorrow can be too late..

Paul was a human who grasped that true free will exists and wanted to convert as many as possible, as quickly as possible. Make the biggest possible dent into heaven that he could. God however is not a human Num 23:19. God is not a fool that would send someone to hell who may one-day be able to truly repent of their sins.

Please meditate on this verse Jer 17:9-10 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Rom 2:6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.

If God dished out an equal punishment for all sinners, that would be a perversion of justice. God does not pervert justice Job 34:12.

And He sees fit to be 'righteous in all His ways to the exclusion of none' Psalm 145:17.

Anyone insinuating God will be evil in a vastly unknown future event is truly in dangerous territory of misrepresenting God to the lost He died for.

Why would the devil want us to believe hell is not that bad? He does not. You have that backwards. The devil wants us to believe hell is a place of torture. This incriminates God. If people see God as evil, nobody will care to serve him.

I only serve God because He is good. If He were good and evil like a human, demigods of Greek mythology for example, there will be no truly devout servants. If He were evil, nobody would serve Him of their own free will.

The devil wants to come across as the angel of light.

2 Cor 11:4 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can teach that hell will be a place of eternal torture if it is a place designed by a God who is defined as good Psalm 136:1, love 1 John 4:8, light with no darkness 1 John 1:5, righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17, Impartial Acts 10:34 and just Job 34:12.

Paul was a human who grasped that true free will exists and wanted to convert as many as possible, as quickly as possible. Make the biggest possible dent into heaven that he could. God however is not a human Num 23:19. God is not a fool that would send someone to hell who may one-day be able to truly repent of their sins.

Please meditate on this verse Jer 17:9-10 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.
I think you are missing the point. At Judgment Day. You have two kinds of people. Unrepentant sinners with out Christ, judged as Children of Satan. And repentant sinners in Christ , judged as Children of God. That's it. No other criteria. That is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. No one goes to heaven because of his goodness. Only Christ pleases the Father. If the Father Judge sees Christ he is happy. If not he is angry. He has allowed the Age of Grace for a very long time. But that age ends. When you die in Christ or out of Christ or when the millennium of peace ends.

I think you are missing the point. At Judgment Day. You have two kinds of people. Unrepentant sinners with out Christ, judged as Children of Satan. And repentant sinners in Christ , judged as Children of God. That's it. No other criteria. That is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. No one goes to heaven because of his goodness. Only Christ pleases the Father. If the Father Judge sees Christ he is happy. If not he is angry. He has allowed the Age of Grace for a very long time. But that age ends. When you die in Christ or out of Christ or when the millennium of peace ends.
Of course for the Christian there is another judgement. Where Christ will reward his own according to how they have built gems and diamonds or wood hay and stubble. Every body will be judged at The White Throne Judgement. Those in Christ will go on to the next Judgment at the feet of Christ. The others to everlasting damnation in the burning lake. I can supply verses as support. But you should know these verses.

Matt 10:28 . . Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul;
but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in Hell.

FAQ: If somebody is already dead, then how can Hell kill their body?

REPLY: The current Hell (a.k.a. Hades) doesn't kill the human body because for now
when people die, their bodies stay here rather than going there. But out ahead in
the future; people in Hades will be resurrected to face justice at the Great White
Throne event depicted at Rev 20:11-15. Should the judgment go against them,
their bodies will be terminated once more in yet another Hell called the lake of fire,
i.e. an impoundment consisting of brimstone.
_

Matt 10:28 . . Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul;
but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in Hell.

FAQ: If somebody is already dead, then how can Hell kill their body?

REPLY: The current Hell (a.k.a. Hades) doesn't kill the human body because for now
when people die, their bodies stay here rather than going there. But out ahead in
the future; people in Hades will be resurrected to face justice at the Great White
Throne event depicted at Rev 20:11-15. Should the judgment go against them,
their bodies will be terminated once more in yet another Hell called the lake of fire,
i.e. an impoundment consisting of brimstone.
_
Yep. The Bible indicates that both believers and non-believers will have resurrected bodies (could be spiritual bodies) on the last day which will live forever.

Daniel 12:1–2 Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt

Those going to hell will have everlasting life in the lake of fire to be tormented for eternity.

Rev 20:14.And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

The eternal, continuing destruction and torture in hell is the product of God’s justice and wrath, and the destruction of that place will affect the “resurrected body” as well as the soul.

The problem some people have with the concept of having a physical body in hell is that, if the fire of hell is taken literally, that would mean one’s bodily tissue would be perpetually burning and regenerating to be burned again.

But Scripture teaches that the resurrection body will be different from the bodies we now possess.

Our earthly bodies are fit for this world; the resurrection body will be fit for eternity.

Either heaven or hell.

FAQ: Do you not know it is the kindness of God that leads men to repentance
rather than fear and threats of fiery justice? (Rom 2:4)

REPLY: If the Bible's God weren't so kind, then He wouldn't bother with giving His

creatures advance notice of the horror in store for them in the afterlife.

Luke 12:4-5 . . And I say unto you my friends; Be not afraid of them that kill the
body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom
ye shall fear: Fear Him, which after He hath killed hath power to cast into Hell; yea,
I say unto you fear Him.

Was Christ wrong to instill a fear of God within people's hearts? No; I think he was
110% justified. For example: when I was working as a professional welder for the
US Army Corps of Engineers, we had weekly and monthly safety meetings wherein
we were shown some grisly photographs of real life industrial accidents involving
burns, chain saws, punctured eyes, explosions, falls, crane collapses, suffocation,
crushing, and the like.

Let me tell you: those safety meetings got our attention, and really made a sharp
distinction between the fool and the wise. Somebody like Billy Graham needs to get
out there and let people know that they're up against a celestial despot far more
dangerous than the CCP and/or North Korea's Kim Jong-Un.

Prov 22:3 . . A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions;
the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

The kindness of God has given the world fair and adequate notice of what to expect
in the afterlife. Those who don't care about it one way or the other would be well
advised to use what time they have remaining to begin preparing themselves for
the worst when they cross over to the other side.
_

Rebecca Black's "Friday" on repeat.
Reality TV.
No meat.
All TP rolls are on backwards. Mullet style.
AOC and the cast of The View are your permanent torture buddies.
Dial-up WIFI.

In these verses, the word Hades.. comes from the Greek word "Hades". It's one of the few words in the Bible, that is not even translated.

Matt 11:23; "And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? You will descend to Hades; for if the miracles had occurred in Sodom which occurred in you, it would have remained to this day.
Matt 16:18; "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
Luke 10:15; "And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? You will be brought down to Hades!
Acts 2:27; BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT ABANDON MY SOUL TO HADES, NOR ALLOW YOUR HOLY ONE TO UNDERGO DECAY.
Acts 2:31; he looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that HE WAS NEITHER ABANDONED TO HADES, NOR DID His flesh SUFFER DECAY.
Rev 1:18; and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.
Rev 6:8; I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.
Rev 20:13; And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds.
Rev 20:14; Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

The word "Hades does not appear in the OT at all. The first four times it appears in the NT, Jesus Himself is speaking.

In these verses, the word "Gehenna" is translated as hell.

Matt 5:22; "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.
Matt 5:29; "If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
Matt 5:30; "If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell.
Matt 10:28; "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matt 18:9; "If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell.
Matt 23:15; "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
Matt 23:33; "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?
Mark 9:43; "If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire,
Mark 9:45; "If your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame, than, having your two feet, to be cast into hell,
Mark 9:47; "If your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into hell,
Luke 12:5; "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!
Jas 3:6; And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.

This last verse is unique. It's the only place in the Bible that the word "tartaroo" is translated as hell.

2Pet 2:4; For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;

tartaroō
tar-tar-o'-o
From Τάρταρος Tartaros̄ (the deepest abyss of Hades); to incarcerate in eternal torment: - cast down to hell.
Total KJV occurrences: 1

The word sheol does not appear in the NT. The word hell does not appear in the OT. The word sheol was never synonymous with hell.
In the OT both the wicked and righteous went to sheol. The righteous in the Bible never go to Hell/Hades. But they did go to sheol.

she'ôl she'ôl
sheh-ole', sheh-ole'
From H7592; hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranian retreat), including its accessories and inmates: - grave, hell, pit.
Total KJV occurrences: 65

The definition above contains "hell". But that doesn't mean that sheol is the same as hell. It simply means, that because hell is in sheol, if you go to hell,
you are in sheol by virtue of location.

In the NT, Jesus introduced a new concept.. "Abraham's Bosom".

Luke 16:22; "Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried.

It seems that rich man went to Hades, but Lazarus went to Abraham's Bosom. They could see each other, talk to each other, but it was two different places.
Both were in Sheol, but one was on Abraham's Bosom, the other was in Hades.

Another phrase used here is.. "lower parts of the Earth".

Isa 44:23; Shout for joy, O heavens, for the LORD has done it! Shout joyfully, you lower parts of the earth; Break forth into a shout of joy, you mountains, O forest, and every tree in it; For the LORD has redeemed Jacob And in Israel He shows forth His glory.
Ezek 26:20; then I will bring you down with those who go down to the pit, to the people of old, and I will make you dwell in the lower parts of the earth, like the ancient waste places, with those who go down to the pit, so that you will not be inhabited; but I will set glory in the land of the living.
Ezek 32:24; "Elam is there and all her hordes around her grave; all of them slain, fallen by the sword, who went down uncircumcised to the lower parts of the earth, who instilled their terror in the land of the living and bore their disgrace with those who went down to the pit.
Eph 4:9; (Now this expression, "He ascended," what does it mean except that He also had descended into the lower parts of the earth?

It seems that for a while at least, the dead went to the "lower parts of the Earth". This appears to be the same as Sheol, the grave.

An entire doctrine is built on this passage.

Eph 4:8; Therefore it says, "WHEN HE ASCENDED ON HIGH, HE LED CAPTIVE A HOST OF CAPTIVES, AND HE GAVE GIFTS TO MEN."
Eph 4:9; (Now this expression, "He ascended," what does it mean except that He also had descended into the lower parts of the earth?
Eph 4:10; He who descended is Himself also He who ascended far above all the heavens, so that He might fill all things.)

The thought here is... Jesus went to Sheol/Abraham's Bosom and freed the saints there. He took the righteous with Him back to heaven.
This is controversial, and not everyone believes the same, but the idea was, no one went to heaven in the OT. ( a couple of notable exceptions would be Enoch and Elijah, who never died ).
The people in Hades remained in Hades. Jesus did not take them back with Him.

Some people believe because of this, the saved saints go to Heaven immediately when they die now.
Other's believe in Soul sleep. You are simply "asleep" in the grave, until the "last day" or day of resurrection. Then everyone will rise again at the same time.

Yet another place, that may or may not be hell.. is "the outer darkness".

Matt 8:12; but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
Matt 22:13; "Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
Matt 25:30; "Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

All three times this term is used, Jesus is speaking. Most scholars believe this to simply be a reference to hell/hades.
However there are some people who believe this to be a different place.

Finally we have the Lake of Fire. Which is a different place than hell/hades. It appears that one day hades and everyone in it, will be cast into the Lake of Fire.

Rev 19:20; And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with brimstone.
Rev 20:14; Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
Rev 20:15; And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

A lot of people use the phrase.. "they will burn in hell forever". But what they really mean is... "they will burn in the Lake of Fire forever".

I said earlier, the word "hell" does not appear in the OT. But what about the King James?

Deut 32:22; For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.
2Sam 22:6; The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me;
Job 11:8 ; It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?
Job 26:6; Hell is naked before him, and destruction hath no covering.
Psa 9:17; The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
Psa 16:10; For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
Psa 18:5; The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.
Psa 55:15; Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.
Psa 86:13; For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.
Psa 116:3; The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.
Psa 139:8; If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
Prov 5:5; Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.
Prov 7:27; Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.
Prov 9:18; But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell.
Prov 15:11; Hell and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?
Prov 15:24; The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.
Prov 23:14; Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
Prov 27:20; Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.
Isa 5:14; Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.
Isa 14:9; Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.
Isa 14:15; Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
Isa 28:15; Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:
Isa 28:18; And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.
Isa 57:9; And thou wentest to the king with ointment, and didst increase thy perfumes, and didst send thy messengers far off, and didst debase thyself even unto hell.
Ezek 31:16 I made the nations to shake at the sound of his fall, when I cast him down to hell with them that descend into the pit: and all the trees of Eden, the choice and best of Lebanon, all that drink water, shall be comforted in the nether parts of the earth.
Ezek 31:17; They also went down into hell with him unto them that be slain with the sword; and they that were his arm, that dwelt under his shadow in the midst of the heathen.
Ezek 32:21; The strong among the mighty shall speak to him out of the midst of hell with them that help him: they are gone down, they lie uncircumcised, slain by the sword.
Ezek 32:27; And they shall not lie with the mighty that are fallen of the uncircumcised, which are gone down to hell with their weapons of war: and they have laid their swords under their heads, but their iniquities shall be upon their bones, though they were the terror of the mighty in the land of the living.
Amos 9:2; Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down:
Jonah 2:2; And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.
Hab 2:5; Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, he is a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people:

Every one of these verses uses the word "sheol" to be translated to hell.
The concept of "hell" or "hades" did not exist until the NT. Only the King James (and it's derivatives, such as the NKJV, and MKJV ) use the word hell in the OT.
I have 22 Bible translations, and all except the King James versions, use the word "sheol" in these verses.

So I stand by my statement that "hell" does not appear in the OT.

FAQ: The Bible thumpers say it's a "must" to believe in Christ in order to be
spared the wrath of God. How is that fair to peoples of the world who were
never afforded an opportunity to know about him?

REPLY: According to Ps 19:1-4, Rom 1:19-20, and Rom 2:14-15; the realm of

nature + conscience, becomes the basis upon which God judges people who've
somehow gone through life without ever hearing the Bible taught or preached.

And seeing as how the justice of God is described as righteous (Rom 2:5) then no
doubt their punishment will be quite a bit more lenient than the punishment in
store for the gospel's detractors. (cf. Luke 2:47-48 and Heb 10:29). Those folks are
immediately condemned when they do so-- no delay and no waiting period. (John
3:16-18)
_

Heaven is sometimes depicted as a mountain with any number of roads around the
base heading towards the top. Well; classical Christianity accepts only one of those
roads reaches the top; viz: the rest are dead-ends, loops, terraces, circles, and cul
de-sacs, i.e. no outlets and nowhere to go except round and around or back down
the mountain.

Hell is depicted as a colossal pit, deep and wide, with many roads around the rim
heading towards the bottom. Well; classical Christianity accepts that every one of
those roads eventually merge into one big super expressway to the bottom.

Matt 7:13-14 . . Wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction,
and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to
life, and only a few find it.

How many people does the quantity "many" represent? Well, according to my
sources, as of mid 2020 there were approximately:

50,000 . . . . . . . . Scientologists
16,500,000 . . . . .Mormons
8,200,000 . . . . . .Practicing Jehovah's Witnesses
8,531,000 . . . . . .Baha'i
545,584,000 . . . .Buddhists
468,411,000 . . . .Chinese Folk Religionists
8,606,000 . . . . . .Confucianists
269,498,000 . . . .Ethnic Religionists
1,062,595,000 . . .Hindus
6,135,000 . . . . . .Jains
14,779,000 . . . . .Jews
1,893,345,000 . . Muslims
64,549,000 . . . . .New Religionists.
2,788,000 . . . . . .Shintoists
28,000,000 . . . . .Sikhs
14,851,000 . . . . .Spiritists
9,078,000 . . . . . .Taoists
1,757,433,000 . . .Non Religious/Atheists/Agnostics

The grand total of just those categories is 5,710,522,000

If those figures are in the ball park, and if classical Christianity is the truth; then at
least 73% of the world's 2020 population was on a road to perdition; and quite
possibly some of them we knew: our BFF, our loved ones, and our associates.

NOTE: Falun Gong, a.k.a. Falun Dafa, isn't listed because its numbers are

uncertain.
_

It's natural to assume that only really bad people are in Hell; likely due to the fact
that when Adam tasted the forbidden fruit, he lost his God-given perception of good
and evil and became a tin god.

But according to Matt 7:23-27, John 3:3-8, John 3:14-20, John 3:36, and Rev
20:11-15, anybody can be there; both the good, the bad, and the not so bad--
bikers, bakers, lawyers, welders, actors and actresses, housewives, bankers, heavy
equipment operators, loggers, convicts, celebrities, homeless bums, clergy,
prostitutes, drug lords, postmen, Presidents, Kings,

. . . statesmen, astronauts, school teachers, scientists, nurses, doctors, chemists,
machinists, carpenters, waiters, hotel managers, cops, judges, nuns, priests,
Popes, deacons, salesmen, Miss Americas, news anchors, weathermen, and
birdwatchers, et al --people from every walk, every career, every religion, every
culture, every language, every ethnic, every craft, and every status: they're all in
danger of the sum of all fears.

Rev 20:12 . . I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and
books were opened.

Because when you strip away their gender, their titles, their distinctions, their
privileges, their status, and their entitlements; and stand them before God naked;
people are only flesh and blood creatures-- naked apes, just human beings; and
human beings are intrinsically sinful beings whether inbred or bred to perfection.

Gen 8:21 . . Man's thoughts and actions are bent toward evil from childhood.

Ps 58:3 . . Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are
wayward and speak lies.

Eph 2:3 . .We were by nature objects of wrath.
_

It's natural to assume that only really bad people are in Hell; likely due to the fact
that when Adam tasted the forbidden fruit, he lost his God-given perception of good
and evil and became a tin god.

But according to Matt 7:23-27, John 3:3-8, John 3:14-20, John 3:36, and Rev
20:11-15, anybody can be there; both the good, the bad, and the not so bad--
bikers, bakers, lawyers, welders, actors and actresses, housewives, bankers, heavy
equipment operators, loggers, convicts, celebrities, homeless bums, clergy,
prostitutes, drug lords, postmen, Presidents, Kings,

. . . statesmen, astronauts, school teachers, scientists, nurses, doctors, chemists,
machinists, carpenters, waiters, hotel managers, cops, judges, nuns, priests,
Popes, deacons, salesmen, Miss Americas, news anchors, weathermen, and
birdwatchers, et al --people from every walk, every career, every religion, every
culture, every language, every ethnic, every craft, and every status: they're all in
danger of the sum of all fears.

Rev 20:12 . . I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and
books were opened.

Because when you strip away their gender, their titles, their distinctions, their
privileges, their status, and their entitlements; and stand them before God naked;
people are only flesh and blood creatures-- naked apes, just human beings; and
human beings are intrinsically sinful beings whether inbred or bred to perfection.

Gen 8:21 . . Man's thoughts and actions are bent toward evil from childhood.

Ps 58:3 . . Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are
wayward and speak lies.

Eph 2:3 . .We were by nature objects of wrath.
_

I have to completely disagree.

Good people repent. People who repent get faith from God to believe in Jesus. All you have done is cherry pick scriptures. Is there one you would like to discuss context on?

Back