Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Talk Jesus Statement of Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

lentz

Active
Just how far are we allowed to stray from our Statement of Faith?
We have some who don’t believe the trinity, we have others that believe the most outlandish doctrines.
Just wondering.

Never mind,I don’t agree with the statement of faith either.
Talking in tongues and healings by men ,I can’t go along with.
I am definitely not Pentecostal

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Mark Chapter 16
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Very plainly Scripture says these gifts are continuing for those who believe. If you don't believe that is on you, if so, these signs don't follow you.

Jesus Himself said if we believe on Him and the works He does we will also do not more powerful just more in frequency or at least that is the way it should be.

Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Mar 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
Mar 16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Notice signs do not follow people they follow "faith" and the proclaiming of the "word".

God confirms His Word with signs following. Watered down Gospel and unbelief in his word produces nothing.

Just how far are we allowed to stray from our Statement of Faith?
We have some who don’t believe the trinity, we have others that believe the most outlandish doctrines.
Just wondering.

Lentz, you must be specific. You must also discern if it is a Rom 14:5 disagreement or not.

I propose you prepare a thread similar to this one False teaching and voice all your concerns.

It is important to identify and expose false teaching. Equally important to properly explain why a teaching is false and can do damage to the body of Christ. Many are not scholars, learned and wise Christians. The wiser Christians need to educate and teach. But do so in a logical and scriptural manner. No lazy posts and personal insults.

As a rule of thumb. I would argue that any belief that undermines the cross or God's nature as defined in scripture, is false.

Cross = God became flesh and lay His life down for all mankind John 3:16.
God = Love 1 John 4:7, righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17, light with no darkness in Him at all 1 John 1:5.

I could not find the statement of faith nor the general rules, can someone please direct me.
Thanks !❤️

You must be careful in how you discern.

You seem to share / teach based on personal experiences and not scripture. You need to properly consider scripture and correct people with it. When Jesus was tempted by the devil, Jesus quoted scripture for correction.

I can see why you say this. I too have had bad experiences with people having spiritual 'powers' of tongues and faith for healing. But to deny either are scriptural truths would be to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I could not find the statement of faith nor the general rules, can someone please direct me.
Thanks !❤️
Theres a link to the statement of faith at the foot of every page

Blessings!

It is important to identify and expose false teaching. Equally important to properly explain why a teaching is false and can do damage to the body of Christ. Many are not scholars, learned and wise Christians. The wiser Christians need to educate and teach. But do so in a logical and scriptural manner. No lazy posts and personal insults.
That is exactly what I am doing in all my posts and threads I started. If I say something and if it isn't plainly apparent I we use Scripture to align with what is being said. Other times I will use Historically written records to show where false teaching comes from. God Bless

Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh. That was funny!

There are so many beliefs it's hard to get two Christians to agree.

On a more serious note though. I don't think any doctrine should be above scrutiny. If a doctrine is Biblical it can stand the Scrutiny. If it's not it can't. If we have to put doctrines off limit it's a red flag. The only reason to put a doctrine off limits is to protect it from challenges. Challenges that people see it can't stand up to.

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Mark Chapter 16
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Very plainly Scripture says these gifts are continuing for those who believe. If you don't believe that is on you, if so, these signs don't follow you.

Jesus Himself said if we believe on Him and the works He does we will also do not more powerful just more in frequency or at least that is the way it should be.
If we look at that passage in context we can see that the Lord was working with the apostles. It was those people the apostles reached that would receive those signs.

That is exactly what I am doing in all my posts and threads I started. If I say something and if it isn't plainly apparent I we use Scripture to align with what is being said. Other times I will use Historically written records to show where false teaching comes from. God Bless
Dear First and the Last,
So, what parts of the Site's Statement of Faith (SOF) are you saying are false teachings?
And you knowing them to be false, why did you become a member of this site called Talk Jesus anyway?

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
Nick
\o/
<><

I have been browsing Christian websites since the mid 90's. Over 30 years now. In my opinion some are more "Christian" than others.
But one thing I have noticed over the years. I don't have any statistics, but it certainly seems to be a fact.

Protestant Christians rarely visit Mormon websites. The rarely visit Jehovah's Witnesses sites. In fact they rarely login to Roman Catholic websites.
They almost never login into Satanic or Atheist websites. (at least not knowingly, but some are disguised as such ).

But I am constantly amazed at how often all of the above login to this site. Non-trinitarians as well. The statement of faith link is readily available
right on the main page. Why is this site such a target? None of the other groups agree with each other, you would think they would target each other.
But no, it's always sites like this that get targeted.

...it makes me wonder sometimes... what is Satan so afraid of?

Dear First and the Last,
So, what parts of the Site's Statement of Faith (SOF) are you saying are false teachings?
And you knowing them to be false, why did you become a member of this site called Talk Jesus anyway?

Nick
\o/
<><
The statement of faith is beautifully written and I believe all of it. There is confusion to me on one statement.

We believe in one God revealed in three persons
When we have such scriptures as this:
  • Deuteronomy 6:4: "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord."
  • Isaiah 43:10-11: "Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the Lord; and beside me there is no saviour."
  • Isaiah 44:6: "Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God."
  • Isaiah 45:5-6: "I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the Lord, and there is none else."
  • Mark 12:29-30: "And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment."

For someone trying to use scripture to show a plurality of God (God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost) undermines this scriptures and the Bible will never contradict itself.

When someone says Three separate and distinct persons of God. Any form or fashion the word separate makes it Tritheism not Monotheism. Separation is not ONE.

God Bless you All with All my love in Christ.

The statement of faith is beautifully written and I believe all of it. There is confusion to me on one statement.

We believe in one God revealed in three persons
When we have such scriptures as this:
  • Deuteronomy 6:4: "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord."
  • Isaiah 43:10-11: "Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the Lord; and beside me there is no saviour."
  • Isaiah 44:6: "Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God."
  • Isaiah 45:5-6: "I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the Lord, and there is none else."
  • Mark 12:29-30: "And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment."

For someone trying to use scripture to show a plurality of God (God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost) undermines this scriptures and the Bible will never contradict itself.

When someone says Three separate and distinct persons of God. Any form or fashion the word separate makes it Tritheism not Monotheism. Separation is not ONE.

God Bless you All with All my love in Christ.
Hi First,

This is easily understandable. The problem as I see it is that there is a holdover from the 5th century which doesn't allow this doctrine to be challenged. When this doctrine was codified in the 5th century it was stated explicitly, and twice, that unless someone beleived this doctrine they could not be saved. It seems this idea has continted until today. Even today I hear Chridtians claim that if someone doesn't believe this doctrine they can't be saved. On many forums this doctrine is simply off limits. If you challenge it you get banned. So, my hats off to the moderators here who don't automatically ban someone for question it. Personally, I don't think any doctrine should be off limits. Any doctrine that is Biblical can stand up to scrutiny. If a doctrine can't stand up scrutiny we should be seeing red flags. We should be questioning it not protecting it.

As we look out over Christendom we can see a vast array of beliefs. Obviously they can't all be correct. Since there has been a good bit of error that has entered the faith we should be challenging everything. How do we know we're the ones who are correct if we don't challenge our beliefs. After all, all of these Christian groups out here believe they are the ones who are correct. Many beleive contradictory things so the can't all be right. Therefore, many of them are simply wrong even though they believe they're the ones who are correct.

That begs the question, are we also in that group? Do we beleive things that are wrong all the while thinking we're the ones who are correct? The only way to know is to challenge our beliefs. If we don't we won't know if we're the ones who are wrong.

I am glad you appreciate the SOF.
On the one part that creates confusion for you, and I am sure for many others as well. I can only share with you my own thoughts. For I have for all the years I have been both member like yourself, and Moderator asked the why of from my BIC Chad who was inspired to write the SOF as he did these many years ago.

The way I see it, is that whenever "one" is used with God, the belief is in the singular, as in 1 car, 1 Nation, but rarely with the understanding of the parts that makes up the one as is the case with the Triune God. Along with that is the belief of many that there cannot be a hierarchy for that very same reason if there is to be One God. Or even in functionality, as is found in the Body of Christ.

There have been others who have explained it better than I can and show the support for their positions scripturally with well-reasoned understanding. As I have found so do many of those who believe the opposite!

So, for me it is similar to one's belief in Christ Jesus who died on the Cross and rose again for our sins, that it must be individually believed in order to be valid. For only in/through Christ Jesus, will the Godhead even begin to be understood through/by the Holy Spirit.

Time is another block for many to believe in the Trinity. Meaning the belief that past/present/future time affects the Godhead as it does humanity. Personally, I believe for God, time is always "Now".

Well, I now see Brother @Butch5 has decided to join the conversation. LOL

Anyway, without getting deeper into what on different threads has been discussed to overflowing. I wanted to make sure that you understood the position held by Talk Jesus as it pertains to the Trinity as well as other doctrines covered in the SOF.

Nick
\o/
<><

Hi First,

This is easily understandable. The problem as I see it is that there is a holdover from the 5th century which doesn't allow this doctrine to be challenged. When this doctrine was codified in the 5th century it was stated explicitly, and twice, that unless someone beleived this doctrine they could not be saved. It seems this idea has continted until today. Even today I hear Chridtians claim that if someone doesn't believe this doctrine they can't be saved. On many forums this doctrine is simply off limits. If you challenge it you get banned. So, my hats off to the moderators here who don't automatically ban someone for question it. Personally, I don't think any doctrine should be off limits. Any doctrine that is Biblical can stand up to scrutiny. If a doctrine can't stand up scrutiny we should be seeing red flags. We should be questioning it not protecting it.

As we look out over Christendom we can see a vast array of beliefs. Obviously they can't all be correct. Since there has been a good bit of error that has entered the faith we should be challenging everything. How do we know we're the ones who are correct if we don't challenge our beliefs. After all, all of these Christian groups out here believe they are the ones who are correct. Many beleive contradictory things so the can't all be right. Therefore, many of them are simply wrong even though they believe they're the ones who are correct.

That begs the question, are we also in that group? Do we beleive things that are wrong all the while thinking where the ones who are correct? The only way to know is to challenge our beliefs. If we don't we won't know if we're the ones who are wrong.
That is the reason for this signature of mine:

My Signature------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noone on Earth brings new revelation, that isn't already revealed through the Word of God (Jesus Christ), which is fullest revelation given to man. Through the moving and operation of the Holy Ghost, I Pray what we say here (with Scriptural backing) brings the truth of these Revelations, truth by truth, or precept upon precept, to the heart of the hearer. Lay what we say before the feet of Jesus (Word of God) and compare, the Bible is Always truth, so if they don't match, we need to reevaluate our stance. What we say or do here will have lasting impact upon the believer and sinner alike. We most certainly have freedom of speech, but any true christian will weigh what they say against the Word of God and if they don't agree God is not in error, and we need to pray for understanding. Those that have more meat of the Word can help those who are struggling, if done with humility, peace and love. I don't mind a peaceful debate, but when we start to argue amongst each other that is not the Spirit of God. God Bless and Peace to you all. (This signature is in general and not pointing fingers at anyone at anytime. God Bless.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, for me it is similar to one's belief in Christ Jesus who died on the Cross and rose again for our sins, that it must be individually believed in order to be valid. For only in/through Christ Jesus, will the Godhead even begin to be understood through/by the Holy Spirit.

Time is another block for many to believe in the Trinity. Meaning the belief that past/present/future time affects the Godhead as it does humanity. Personally, I believe for God, time is always "Now".
Beautiful statements Thank You

@Christ4Ever , hey Chris, just out of curiosity, why is it that certain doctrines are off limits? I think this would be a great discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back