Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What to expect in hell

What to expect in hell

• Annihilation - Instant destruction

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Universalism - Suffering for a while and then united with Jesus

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Eternal torment - Limited suffering, not such a bad place, mostly pet friendly

• Eternal torment - limited suffering, a horrible environment, no pets

• Eternal torment - torturous, excruciating pain and suffering, no pets

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Eternal life is often mistaken for immortality. The two are not the same.

Immortality is a material kind of life that has to do with a superhuman body
impervious to age, death, and putrefaction.

Eternal life, on the other hand, is a spirit kind of life; which is why it's possible
for people to obtain eternal life prior to obtaining immortality.

For example: Christ had eternal life when he was here (John 5:26, 1John 1:1-2)
but according to Rom 6:9 and Rev 1:18, he didn't obtain immortality till he rose
from the dead.

Likewise Christ's believing followers have eternal life while they're here (John 5:24)
but according to Rom 8:23-25, 1Cor 15:51-53, and 1Thss 4:14-17 they won't
obtain immortality until their resurrections.

So then; I think we can safely conclude (in a nutshell) that immortality is
something that can be seen, while eternal life is something that cannot be seen.

The properties of eternal life are a little easier to understand when juxtaposed with
creature life.

Human life was created.

Eternal life wasn't created.

There's a large variety of created life.

There is only one eternal life.

Human life's primary characteristic is human nature; roughly defined as the
fundamental dispositions and traits of the human being.

Eternal life's primary characteristic is divine nature, roughly defined as the
fundamental dispositions and traits of the supreme being.

FYI: When people in possession of eternal life pass away, they are fully prepared to

go straight to heaven because God has devised a way to strip them of their human
nature and leave them with only the fundamental dispositions and traits of the
supreme being (Col 2:11). That's quite an advantage, and emphasizes the
importance of obtaining eternal life now, today, while it's available.
_

In reality everyone lives forever. Eternity in heaven or hell lasts forever.
Whatever anyone decides to believe needs to agree with scripture.
A person attains eternal life in heaven when they accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior. The person who does Not accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior goes to hell forever.

It's also true that once a person finds themselves in hell and don't like it☆ they can't get out.

And hell / lake of fire and brimstone is only meant for the beast, false prophet and Satan. They will suffer for eternity. The only reason anyone else will end up there is because they refuse to accept God's way to stay out. God's gift to us eternal life in heaven made possible through Jesus Christ.

Everyone will be alive forever and it's our personal choice as to where rhat will be.

FAQ: Folks not found registered in the Lamb's book of life are sent to the second
death per Rev 20:11-15. Will they be consumed by the brimstone and gone
forever?

REPLY: Adam was warned that were he to taste the forbidden fruit, he would die

that very day (Gen 2:17) and he did, but not in a way readily apparent.

Up to that moment, Adam enjoyed perpetual youth, but upon tasting the fruit, he
lost perpetual youth and began to age, i.e. his body became infected with mortality,
which is a lingering kind of death rather than the kind of death where people drop
dead to the floor of a sudden from strokes, bullets, bludgeons, or falls from a very
high building down onto solid concrete.

In other words: Adam's death was an ongoing process that gradually wore him
down to the point where his body finally gave out, and he passed away.

By comparing the language and grammar of any and all passages related to the
second death, I think we can safely conclude that it too is a lingering death that
apparently will be a perpetual process with no definite end. (cf. Isa 66:23-24)
_

Luke 16:27-29 . . I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have
five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of
torment.

The five brothers would more than likely recognize Lazarus because he was laid at
the rich man's gate; so that whenever they came over for a visit; there he'd be for
them to walk past.

But I have to wonder just what exactly would Lazarus tell them about their
deceased brother's circumstances down in the netherworld. Lazarus would likely tell
the men about his own circumstances too.

When Jesus passed away on the cross, he didn't go up, instead he went down;
likely to the section of the afterlife where Abraham was. Jesus called it paradise,
which is translated from a Greek word meaning a park, e.g. New York's central park
where folks can go for walks in nature, play soccer, bicycle, bird watch, boat, take
in entertainment like concerts and events, even dine.

I've a notion there are lots of little children down in that park too and fully
accommodated with plenty of interesting playground equipment, carousels, pony
rides, possibly even a zoo, and quiet places here and there where kids can sit and
listen to stories read to them from books. Who really knows for sure what to expect
in paradise?

Lazarus might then compare all that to the brother's side of the afterlife.

I can well imagine that the men would be fascinated by Lazarus' tale but not
fascinated enough to make a difference because Abraham assured the rich man
that his brothers wouldn't believe Lazarus; and honestly: who in their right mind
would; especially a tale coming from a no-account indigent whose body covered
with sores very likely wasn't even given a decent burial but instead dumped without
ceremony in a landfill somewhere?
_

Beetow --.you need to line your assumptions up with what scripture says. Your first paragraph was fine.

Abraham told the rich man that his brothers had the prophets and Moses -- let his brother listen to them. Rich man thought that if his brothers saw one come back from the dead - they will repent. But he , himself wouldn't listen and now thst he knew 1st hand that Hades was real . He was miserable / tormented in this flame. He wanted his brothers to listen before it was too late for them, too.

The reality is that no one would be telling his brothers anything.

Also -- when Jesus christ died He went to Abraham's bosom and brought back up with Him all those in the Paradise part and took them back up with Him. Scripture Does tell us that people came out of their Graves and walked on the streets. Nothing more is said about them.

Beetoe you have quite an imagination. And I suspect that you are taking the most liberal meaning of the word Paradise. Try not to embellish on God's Word too much. Cause we aren't told much of anything. There Is a description of the New Jerusalem thar will be taken down out of heaven by God , Himself. It's described in Revelation 21 and 22.

when Jesus christ died He went to Abraham's bosom
According to Acts 2:22-31, Jesus went to a place called haides (a.k.a. hades)
which, in Hellenistic culture, refers to the afterlife destination of all the dead, both
the good dead and the bad dead regardless of age, race, gender, and/or religious
preferences.

Haides is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word sheol, which Jonah located at
the bottoms of the mountains (Jonah 2:2 & Jonah 2:6). Well the bottoms of the
mountains are situated in the tummies of fish, nor under the sea, rather, they're
located deep underground, i.e. in the netherworld. (cf. Ps 16:8-10)
_

The Lord wasn't looking for people's religion, nor was he looking for people's piety
and/or conduct on Passover night. He was looking for just one thing, and one thing
only: the blood.

That being the case, then had a Jewish family failed to apply the blood in the proper
manner, their first-born son would've been slain. On the other hand; were an
Egyptian family careful to apply the blood in the proper manner, their son would've
been spared because the The Lord is neither biased nor prejudiced.

Along that same line; Jesus' blood will protect anybody and everybody who applies
it in the proper manner because he died for all; no exceptions regardless of age,
race, gender and/or religious preference. But many won't be protected by his blood,
because they will neglect to apply it at all, let alone properly.
_

FAQ: How crowded is Hell?

REPLY: It's much worse than some of us ever thought.

According to Matt 7:13-14 and Matt 22:14; relatively few make it to safety in the
afterlife compared to relatively many that don't. Bear with me while I flesh this out.

According to the US Census Bureau: as of Apr 14, 2023, @ 02:56 pm New York
Time, the resident population in the United States was approximately 334,624,307
with a death rate of approximately one every 10 seconds; which translates to an
average of 8,640 American deaths of all ages, races, and genders during just one
24-hour calendar day.

According to 2009 US Census data; roughly 27.3% of America's daily deaths were
under the age of 19, which would indicate that approximately 6,281 of the current
daily death rate per 24 hours are adults.

Giving the "many" the benefit of the doubt by limiting their maximum percentage to
51%, would indicate a minimum of 3,203 American adults transferring to perdition
every day: which translates to roughly 133 per hour.

That's a very conservative estimate as Christ didn't really specify exact percentages
to represent the quantities of "few" and "many". But just think: by the time CBS
completes its half hour evening news report, a bare-bones minimum of 67
Americans become new arrivals in the fiery sector of the netherworld.

Using the ratio of 3,203 condemned souls per 334,624,307 population: computing
the number of condemned souls worldwide from a currently estimated global
population of 7,963,623,307 people, would suggest something like 76,227 new
arrivals in the fiery sector of the netherworld every 24 hours; which translates to
roughly 3,176 souls every sixty minutes on the clock.

Yankee Stadium's football seating capacity is 54,251. At the rate of 3,176 souls per
hour, those seats would be filled in roughly 17 hours and 05 minutes. In other
words: by 11:05 pm NY time tonight the stadium's seats would be maxed if the
world's daily number of condemned souls started filing into the stadium at 06:00
am NY time this morning.

Christmas and New Year are even worse. A study done of 26 years of death
certificates shows that coronary fatalities are, on average, 11.9% higher on those
days than any other days of the year; with non-heart deaths spiking to 12.2%
higher.

The netherworld never closes; no, not at all: it's open for business 24/7/365
nonstop and indifferent to climate change, Wall Street crashes, massive layoffs,
outsourcing, high school shootings, terrorism, tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes,
storm surges, nuclear meltdowns, global warming, air, water, and soil pollution, a
mission to Mars, freeway pile-ups, brown-outs, threatened species, the price of oil,
Falun Gong organ harvesting, election fraud, pipelines, student debt, GMO, trade
deficits, high fructose corn syrup, Antifa, Black Lives Matter, Kim Jong-Un's nukes,
Federal debt, pandemics, overpopulation, desertification, genocides, revolutions,
civil wars, acid rain, road rage, oil spills, conscious decoupling, ISIS, LGBT
marriage, blood diamonds, fracking, twerking, transgender confusion, the conflict in
Ukraine, Communist infiltration, and/or former US President Donald Trump's
indictment.

If standard Christianity's perception of Jesus Christ and the hereafter is correct;
then it's apparent that souls never stop cascading into the abyss in an endless
procession like the unbelievable millions of poultry broilers passing annually
through Tyson chicken-processing plants on their way to Wendy's, McDonalds,
Carl's Junior, Jack in the Box, Burger King, Chic-fil-A, KFC, A&W, Arby's, Dairy
Queen, Taco Bell, et al; and to supermarkets and restaurants all over the USA and
wherever else Tyson vends its meats. The slaughtering and the butchering never
stop.
_

So How crowded is hell going to be?! All kinds of statistics = lots of People = maybe the people we work with , neighbors , students, etc. Maybe some in the church who think they are "safe" simply because they are In a church. Lots of souls will end up in hell -- can "I"
Do anything about it. We Can take time to share the gospel with people we connect with.

Well, since my baby left me,
I found a new place to dwell.
It's down at the end of Lonely Street at
Heartbreak Hotel.

Although it's always crowded,
You still can find some room
For broken-hearted lovers
To cry there in their gloom.

That song, by Elvis Presley back in 1956, was very popular; and useful for depicting
some of the conditions folks might expect in the netherworld should they end up on
the wrong side of things. For example: just as Elvis' hotel always has a vacancy, so
the netherworld too.

Prov 30:15-16 . . There are three things that will not be satisfied-- four that will
not say, "Enough"

One of the four listed in that passage is Sheol, a.k.a. Hades which in Hellenistic
culture spoke of the netherworld: a place in which all the dead were warehoused:
both the good dead and the bad dead regardless of age, race, gender, or religious
preference.

And then there's "cry there in their gloom"

Matt 13:40-42 . . As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so
shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and
they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do
iniquity; and shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and
gnashing of teeth.
_

Why do you call Hades or sheol / hell the netherworld?! And you were comparing hell to the song by Elvis Presley. Later you included the Revelation passage. It sounds like you don't really believe that hell will really be all that bad. And I feel sorry for those who end up there and find out it really Is thst horrible but can't get out.

'So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption,
and this mortal shall have put on immortality,
then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written,
Death is swallowed up in victory.
O death, where is thy sting?
O grave, where is thy victory?
The sting of death is sin;
and the strength of sin is the law.
But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmoveable,
always abounding in the work of the Lord,
forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.'
(1Cor. 15:54-58)

Hello @Beetow,

Members of the Body of Christ have been raised and seated with Christ at God's right hand in spirit, and are therefore far above all principality, power, might and dominion. and every name that is in named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come. We are safe in Him. Satan is one of those principalities and powers, but He is now beneath our feet, in Christ Jesus. He has no hold on us.

* Death and hell (the grave) has been defeated for the believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, and the resurrection power of God, in Christ, will raise us up together with Him, to be with Him for ever.

* There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit. Praise God!

* The unbelieving dead will be raised to judgement, and will receive Divine justice, from Him Who alone can judge justly. They will die the second death, from which there is no reprieve: and death and hell shall be cast into the lake of fire, their work done.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

@ Beetow. -- apparently you think you're being cute . So what's wrong with the question I asked?!

So what's wrong with the question I asked?!
It's not your questions that are "wrong" it's you with your carping criticism and
your perpetual fault finding. Well; I'm not putting up with this anymore. Onto my
Ignore list you go; never to be seen by me again.
_

Back