Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What to expect in hell

What to expect in hell

• Annihilation - Instant destruction

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Universalism - Suffering for a while and then united with Jesus

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Eternal torment - Limited suffering, not such a bad place, mostly pet friendly

• Eternal torment - limited suffering, a horrible environment, no pets

• Eternal torment - torturous, excruciating pain and suffering, no pets

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Rev 20:11; Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them.​
Rev 20:12; And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.​
Rev 20:13; And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds.​
Rev 20:14; Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.​
Rev 20:15; And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.​
This time will be so Holy, righteous judgment will prevail, even the heavens and the Earth will want to flee away from this, but they won't be able to.​
The "dead" will be standing before the judgment throne. The sea and Hades will "give up" those who are in them. .. and everyone will be judged.​
If anyone's name is not in the Book of Life ( or has been erased out of it ) they go to the Lake of Fire.​
This isn't Greek Philosophy. This is the Bible, John's own words inspired by the Holy Spirit.​
Hello @B-A-C,

Of course this is not Greek Philosophy, for it is the Word of God. No one has suggested otherwise.

Hades (Hell) is the grave, the place of the dead, and in Revelation 20:13, we read that Hades (Hell) will give up the DEAD which are in it, and they will be judged.

That is truth, :)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

1Tim 6:7 . .We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry
nothing out.

We all walk a strange path. On the one hand we have to be ready to leave this life
on a moment's notice, while on the other hand ready for a long stay, i.e. live like
there's no tomorrow, and yet live like there are years to come.

Those two dissimilar expectations balance each other so that we don't live to
extremes in either direction: always keeping in mind that as we came into this
world empty-handed we will leave it empty-handed. So everyone should be
prepared to suffer the loss of every cherished personal item in their possession that
they hold dear; along with every project and every endeavor.

When people pass away, they leave all behind, including the clothes they wore for
burial.

Personally, I like to hook my thumbs in the front pockets of my jeans while waiting
in lines and such. I prefer that to folding my arms. Some guys prefer back pockets,
but what are guys in Hell doing with no pockets for their hands?
_

No pockets , no tongue to drink cold water or eyes ball to see . No tongue no communication. (chasm fixed)

God does not speak to literally dead man bones as soon as they die "the one appointment all make" thier spirit given under the letter of the law death returns to the father who gave it under the letter and dying flesh that came to an end return to dust not eyeballs or tongue or flame that burn when covered with dirt (no oxygen) Tombs "breathable" verses grave no breath. limbo purgatory

That parable is not a good tool needed to explain hell "sufferings unto death" . . . living sacrifice not dead never to rise

Yoked with Christ our daily bread the sufferings is made lighter daily

Jonah 2King James Version2 Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly,And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Matthew 26:38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: (Not dead) tarry ye here, and watch with me.

Simply metaphors used in the series parables. "no man can serve two teaching master. God does not comune with the dead. Seeking the dead like patron saints or the living Moses and Elijah represent of the word of God. sola scriptura

Luke 16:23-24 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

There are those that are deceased, and then there are those dead on the hoof.

John 5:24 . . Verily, verily, I say unto you: He that hears my word, and believes
on Him that sent me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation;
but is passed from death unto life.

John 5:25 . . Verily, verily, I say unto you: The hour is coming, and now is, when
the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Eph 2:1 . . As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins

FAQ: According to Rev 20:14, John saw Death discarded in a lake of fire. Well;

death is an abstract. How then can it be spoken of as an object that can be picked
up and thrown like a baseball or a javelin?

REPLY: That passage is likely speaking of Death as a category consisting of

everything and anything one can possibly imagine that God considers dead to
Himself, i.e. everything with which and/or with whom, He prefers not to associate;
including of course those poor slobs dead on the hoof.

In that respect, the lake of fire could be thought of as a sanitary landfill, viz: there's
a really big Spring cleaning pending on God's to-do list: not only at the great white
throne event, but also upon Jesus' return per Matt 13:40-42.

PS: The first time ever that I heard of Jesus' return I became nervous because at the time,
I had a lot to answer for.
_

FAQ: Do people in Hell have immortality?

REPLY: No; when people pass on, they leave their bodies behind.

FAQ: Do people in Hell have eternal life?

REPLY: No; eternal life is a gift from God to folks who've bought into the gospel.

FAQ: If so that people in Hell have neither immortality nor eternal life, then how
can it be possible their conscious suffering is perpetual?

REPLY: The afterlife is something about which I know very little.

However, it's readily seen from Isaiah 14:4-20 and Luke 16:19-31 that folks on the
other side are conscious, sentient, and recognizable; plus, they exhibit human
characteristics, e.g. Abraham has a bosom, Lazarus has a finger, and the rich man
has a tongue. From all appearances, people over there appear fully human. Exactly
how that is, I don't really know. That world over there is obviously very different
than the world with which I am familiar over here.
_

* The words of the Lord Jesus Christ do not take precedence over the Old Testament Scriptures, but are a confirmation of them. All is of God.

A few examples of Jesus changing the rules and taking precedence over the OT.

Matt 5:21; "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.'
Matt 5:22; "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

Matt 5:27; "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY';
Matt 5:28; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Matt 5:31; "It was said, 'WHOEVER SENDS HIS WIFE AWAY, LET HIM GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE';
Matt 5:32; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matt 5:33; "Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT MAKE FALSE VOWS, BUT SHALL FULFILL YOUR VOWS TO THE LORD.'
Matt 5:34; "But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God,

Matt 5:38; "You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'
Matt 5:39; "But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

Matt 5:43; "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'
Matt 5:44; "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Of course the confession to priests, sacrificing of animals, stoning people, and a few other things changed between the testaments.
Namely, Jesus being crucified and resurrected.

1Cor 15:44; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

REPLY: No; eternal life is a gift from God to folks who've bought into the gospel.

Technically this is true. However they will have an eternal existence, capable of feeling pain and punishment.

Matt 25:46; "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
Rev 14:11; "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."

This is never called "eternal life" in the Bible. But being thrown into the Lake of Fire is called "the second death". How can you die twice, if you're already dead?

Rev 20:14; Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
Rev 21:8; "But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
Rev 20:10; And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

So then if they are "alive" ( not physically in this current world ) until they get thrown into the Lake of Fire, are they even dead then? Are they annihilated? No, the verses above are a couple of the example that say "eternal punishment"
"no rest day and night", "their torment goes up forever". The pain and punishment is eternal. So do they have eternal life? No, but they have eternal death. You might say, but they are conscious, awake, able to think and feel,...

We have saying at work, it's a common saying here in the US even among non-Christians. ... "Get a life". or "You call that living?" Usually these are said in jest because we work too many hours.
But the fact is, we are alive.. such as that existence may be. The people in the Lake of Fire... they don't have a life either, even though they are "alive" in a way. "You call that living?"

Jude 1:6; And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day,
Jude 1:7; just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

A few examples of Jesus changing the rules and taking precedence over the OT.

Matt 5:21; "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.'
Matt 5:22; "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

Matt 5:27; "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY';
Matt 5:28; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Matt 5:31; "It was said, 'WHOEVER SENDS HIS WIFE AWAY, LET HIM GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE';
Matt 5:32; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matt 5:33; "Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT MAKE FALSE VOWS, BUT SHALL FULFILL YOUR VOWS TO THE LORD.'
Matt 5:34; "But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God,

Matt 5:38; "You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'
Matt 5:39; "But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

Matt 5:43; "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'
Matt 5:44; "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Of course the confession to priests, sacrificing of animals, stoning people, and a few other things changed between the testaments.
Namely, Jesus being crucified and resurrected.
Hello B-A-C,

The Old and New Testaments combine to bring us the Truth of God concerning His Son the Lord Jesus Christ, and reveals God's plan and purpose: and the work of redemption that He has secured for all who will believe what He has said concerning His Son the Lord Jesus Christ. Trusting Him to save them through faith in the all-sufficiency of the one sacrifice for sin which the Lord Jesus Christ made, on our behalf.

It is one magnificent work of salvation, and I praise God for it.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Many replies! I’m going to cast in my lots! In the name of Jesus!

The Bible is extensively clear about hell. It’s a place for those who rejected Christ. According to Paul the Red Sea that Israel passed through was a type of baptism. Jesus said that He would baptize not just with water, but also spirit not many days from now at the end of the gospels following through to the book of acts.

We have many accounts of hell from Genesis to Revelation. There are just too many to pick from. Each gives a brief description of what hell is like. If I get a reply I’ll plug in the scriptures, but for brevity sakes I’ll just quote them.

1. Hell is miserable. (Can be found in Mark) a man find himself in unquenchable fire. There are flames in hell.

2. It’s a place of suffering. (Weeping and gnashing of teeth)

3. There will be worms and maggots (Isaiah 14)

4. There will be endless resentment and regret (Isaiah 14) “Is this the one who weakened the nations” and “Sheol is waiting to meet you”

5. It’s impossible to breathe (Revelation 9) Hell opens up and smoke rises that even blocks the sun.

6. Hell is shared with fallen angels. (Revelation 9, II Peter) “For God did not spare the angels, but cast them into enteral chain.

7. You will be bound in hell. (II Peter) and Revelation gives descriptions of angels being released.

8. Hell is a place for the unrepentant. Even though they are in hell and are suffering (Found in revelation) they will not repent, but endlessly curse and moan and cry. (Weeping and gnashing of teeth.

9. Finally, hell is temporary. A holding cell. (Found in revelation) Hell is a dungeon full of darkness and no life. It’s reserved until the Antichrist and the false prophet are taken care of and after that God will judge all the souls whose name is not found in the book of life. With which the 2nd death occurred. The Lake of Fire and brimstone.

Analogy time: It’s like an inmate waiting for death row to come. He is waiting for the judges final order and then he will be executed.

Similarly the soul will die in the lake of fire and they will burn forever while the saints of the most high live in paradise in the New heaven and New earth with our new bodies.

John 5:22 . .The Father has entrusted all judgment to His son

For that reason, people really ought to be scared of Christ because he intends to go
about the business of law enforcement no differently than the fire and brimstone
practices of the God of the Old Testament, by whom Jesus has been trained to take
the reins.

John 5:19 . . I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do
only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also
does.

The very first time I was informed of Jesus' return to take over the world, I became
nervous because at the time I had a lot to answer for. Well; I didn't know it at the
time but my anxiety was spot on.

Ps 2:7-12 . . I will proclaim The Lord's decree. He said to me: You are my Son;
today I have become your Father. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your
inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession. You will rule them with an iron
scepter; you will dash them to pieces like pottery.

. . .Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve The
Lord with fear and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry and you be
destroyed in your way, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who
take refuge in him.
_

No limbo or purgatory dead is dead no breathing, breath of life

And their temporal spirit given under the letter of the law death. Thous shall not. . . in dying you come to the end of the matter death and the largest organ flesh return to the spiritless dust

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Heb 12:29 . . For our God is a consuming fire.

That's a quote from Deut 4:24 which, in context, doesn't describe God's physical
characteristics, rather, it's a figure of speech illustrating rage: defined by Webster's
as violent and uncontrolled anger. It's hard to imagine Christianity's divine patron
ticked off to that extent, but there it is.

* A consuming fire is one that cannot be extinguished, i.e. once it gets going,
there's no stopping till all that's aflame is utterly destroyed beyond recognition, viz:
a conflagration.
_

Heb 12:29 . . For our God is a consuming fire.

That's a quote from Deut 4:24 which, in context, doesn't describe God's physical
characteristics, rather, it's a figure of speech illustrating rage: defined by Webster's
as violent and uncontrolled anger. It's hard to imagine Christianity's divine patron
ticked off to that extent, but there it is.

* A consuming fire is one that cannot be extinguished, i.e. once it gets going,
there's no stopping till all that's aflame is utterly destroyed beyond recognition, viz:
a conflagration.
_

A consuming or annihilating fire .

If there is such a thing as soul sleep I won't know it, here's why:

I've been under anesthesia once for appendicitis, twice for hernias, once for a scalp
lump, once for a kidney stone, twice for total knee replacements, once for a
colonoscopy, once for lung cancer, once for wisdom teeth, and twice for an
endoscopy.

In none of those procedures was I aware of the passage of time. The very moment
I went under was simultaneous with awakening. So if soul sleep is like that, I'll be
in Heaven as if I went from here to there in less than a second of time on the clock,
i.e. instantaneously. The same can be said for folks on track for the wrong side of
things.
_

God has a passion for generosity; but it's not His only passion.

Rom 11:22 . . Behold then the kindness and severity of God

The human condition is so bad, so corrupt, and so hopeless that only the death of
God's sole descendant is adequate to rescue everybody from the lake of fire
depicted at Rev 20:10-15 where numbers of folks will be terminated with extreme
prejudice by a mode of death akin to a foundry worker falling into a kettle of molten
iron.

Now, who in their right might mind can look at that scene and not come away with
the opinion that it depicts a very cruel and unusual punishment? Why not just put
folks down with an injection so that they softly and gently fall asleep never to wake
up? Wouldn't that be nicer, more humane? Yes that would be nicer and more
humane; but would it satisfy God?

Adam started out in the image of God. So at first, his sense of right and wrong was
in agreement with his creator's sense of right and wrong. Then came the forbidden
fruit incident when Adam's original sense of right was lost and his conscience
became that of a tin god.

Well; that's why many of us cannot appreciate our maker's justice. If we did, we
wouldn't be criticizing Him for the way He intends to punish folks. Instead, we'd be
cheering Him on; like this:

Rev 16:5-7 . .Then I heard the angel in charge of the waters say: You are just in
these judgments: You who are, and who were; the Holy One, because you have so
judged . . .Yes, Lord God Almighty, true and just are your judgments.

* The "Holy One" is none other than God's descendant, i.e. the sweet little babe
away in a manger will be presiding at the great white throne event.

John 5:22-23 . . Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all
judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father.

Acts 17:31 . . He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the
man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the
dead.
_

The human condition is so bad, so corrupt, and so hopeless that only the death of
God's sole descendant is adequate to rescue everybody from the lake of fire
depicted at Rev 20:10-15 where numbers of folks will be terminated with extreme
prejudice by a mode of death akin to a foundry worker falling into a kettle of molten
iron.
Can't kill the dead . Its appointment in dying that all men die once .

Then comes the judgement of death .The letter of the law, death it will be tossed in the fire . It will not rise up and condemn another whole creation .The former things from corrupted earth will not be remembered it's like it never existed

Once in the end of the world

Some confuse his secn time with our only time (omce) used 3 times to emphasize

God has no need to get even with those who are dead in ther tresspases and sin

Hebrews 9:26-28King James Version2 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

The death of death .​

Luke 16:27-29 . . I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have
five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of
torment. Abraham replied: They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to
them.

Although many details pertaining to the afterlife are absent in the Old Testament,
Moses and the Prophets wrote quite a bit about retribution. Torah-trained Jews
have always known something frightening is in the works. For example:

Isa 66:23-24 . . And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another,
and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith
The Lord; and they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that
have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire
be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.
_

John 5:28; "Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
John 5:29; and will come forth
; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

Acts 24:15; having a hope in God, which these men cherish themselves, that there shall certainly be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

1Cor 15:13; But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised;
1Cor 15:14; and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain.
1Cor 15:15; Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised.
1Cor 15:16; For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;
1Cor 15:17; and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.
1Cor 15:18; Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.

John 6:39; "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.
John 6:40; "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."
John 6:44; "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.
John 6:54; "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

John 11:24; Martha *said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day."

1Thes 4:16; For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
1Thes 4:17; Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

Rev 20:13; And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds.

1Cor 15:26; The last enemy that will be abolished is death.

Rev 20:7; When the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his prison,
Rev 20:14; Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

Eventually there will be no more death. But that day isn't today. In fact, best case... it won't be for at least a thousand years after Jesus starts reigning on the Earth.
So even if you take the annihilationalist view, they burn for at least a thousand years.

But there are several verses that talk about eternal punishment and eternal torment, so either those scriptures are wrong, or ...
Even after death is abolished, the state of the wicked in the Lake of Fire doesn't change.

Luke 16:27-29 . . I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have
five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of
torment. Abraham replied: They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to
them.

Although many details pertaining to the afterlife are absent in the Old Testament,
Moses and the Prophets wrote quite a bit about retribution. Torah-trained Jews
have always known something frightening is in the works. For example:

Isa 66:23-24 . . And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another,
and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith
The Lord; and they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that
have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire
be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.
_
The voice of the father of lies I summon you send living Lazarus to my father of lies house . The Holy Spirit prophesied how are you challenge my teaching authority (sola scriptura ) signified by Moses "Let there be" and It was good " the Prophets.

Bottom line. . Let the dead hear the word of God do not seek after necromancy .

Two different kinds of fathers. Satan says all one in the same. God does talk to the dead in there trespass and sin if he did he would give spirit life

The parable of two teaching masters .No man can seek the father of liars and the Holy Father as the creator prophecy (sola scriptura

Hell suffering unto death not dead never to rise. Yoked with Christ our daily sufferings can be lighter with a future living hope beyond death the grave .

Back