Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Limited atonement !

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

The Holy Bible: King James Version. 2009. Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Notice John writes that Christ is the True Light that lights "every" man coming into the world. He uses the singular, not the plural. "Every man." That means every single one. He gives them light so that they might believe. So John rejects your claim that Christ only died for some.
Thats limited atonement., the Sheep

what if you delf-identify as an Arminian?
Then I would be Arminian, just as those who self-identify as Calvinists would be Calvinist. (Thought they might not be good Calvinists...)

But I am rather thankful to God that I am neither.

Rhema

There is no such thing as Christ dying for people and they not be reconciled to God completely, which is nothing short of Salvation !
And yet your proof text actually says that there is... read with me...

Eph 2:16

16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross/or death, having slain the enmity thereby:

Now the word reconciled in Col 1:21 is the greek word apokatallassō:

1. to reconcile completely
  2. to reconcile back again
  3. bring back a former state of harmony
While you highlighted the word "reconcile," you seemed to have missed the fact that "might-reconcile" is one word.

In Ephesians 2:16, apokatallassō is written in the Subjunctive Mood to indicate a possibility, not an assurance.

The text is not written as "Has Reconciled" nor "does reconcile" but MIGHT, reconcile. So we have a text here that indicates some might NOT be reconciled to God completely.

You may wish to address that fact.

Kindly,
Rhema

Did Christ die for every human being of mankind ? No, His Death was limited to them He died and reconciled unto God. Rom 5:10

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Col 1:21-22

21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

22 In the body of his flesh through death,
to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

Eph 2:16

16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross/or death, having slain the enmity thereby:

Now the word reconciled in Col 1:21 is the greek word apokatallassō:

1. to reconcile completely
  2. to reconcile back again
  3. bring back a former state of harmony

There is no such thing as Christ dying for people and they not be reconciled to God completely, which is nothing short of Salvation !

So His death is limited to the reconciled completely ! 18
You continue to ignore the passages presented against your position. What you are doing is called propaganda.

Here are some scriptures that confirm limited atonement, or that Christ died for only some, not all without exception.

Jn 10:15

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Eph 5:25

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Acts 20:28

28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Eph 5:2

2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. Cp Eph 5:25

Writing to the Church at Thessalonia 1:1; 1 Thess 5:9-10

Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

And yet your proof text actually says that there is... read with me...

While you highlighted the word "reconcile," you seemed to have missed the fact that "might-reconcile" is one word.

In Ephesians 2:16, apokatallassō is written in the Subjunctive Mood to indicate a possibility, not an assurance.

The text is not written as "Has Reconciled" nor "does reconcile" but MIGHT, reconcile. So we have a text here that indicates some might NOT be reconciled to God completely.

You may wish to address that fact.

Kindly,
Rhema

Back