• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

A Biblical verse on accepting our gay brethren: Acts 8:26-40

If you're trying to make a point, it might be helpful if you actually said something rather than quoting someone else, especially when said quote doesn't have anything to do with the current topic of there being many Christian forums to go on to... just some friendly advice.

Active

RJ

If you're trying to make a point, it might be helpful if you actually said something rather than quoting someone else, and said quote not having anything to do with the current topic of there being many Christian forums to go on to... just some friendly advice.
Aaron, I don't understand what you are taliking about?
I know this and mean it with no disrespect, you are wrong.
Especially with your Acts scripture.
Acts 8:26-40
1. This is an acceptible definition by most theologians but perhaps not you......The eunuchs of the Bible were usually castrated males or those incapable of reproduction due to a birth defect. A eunuch could also be someone who performed work typical of eunuchs, although he remained perfectly capable of having sex—i.e., “eunuch” in some cases was simply a title. The purpose of intentional castration was to induce impotence and remove sexuality. It was a common practice in ancient times for rulers to castrate some of their servants and/or advisers in order to subdue and pacify them. It was especially common to castrate men who tended the royal harem.
2. Acts, has absolutely nothing to do with the Bible accepting gays!
3. it is a oh so known ploy for Liberials or progressives to mis-quote scripture on a a as neede basis, with no regard to truth.

Aaron, I don't understand what you are taliking about?
I know this and mean it with no disrespect, you are wrong.
Especially with your Acts scripture.
Acts 8:26-40
1. This is an acceptible definition by most theologians but perhaps not you......The eunuchs of the Bible were usually castrated males or those incapable of reproduction due to a birth defect. A eunuch could also be someone who performed work typical of eunuchs, although he remained perfectly capable of having sex—i.e., “eunuch” in some cases was simply a title. The purpose of intentional castration was to induce impotence and remove sexuality. It was a common practice in ancient times for rulers to castrate some of their servants and/or advisers in order to subdue and pacify them. It was especially common to castrate men who tended the royal harem.
2. Acts, has absolutely nothing to do with the Bible accepting gays!
3. it is a oh so known ploy for Liberials or progressives to mis-quote scripture on a a as neede basis, with no regard to truth.

What I'm talking about is that you said nothing yourself in your last post, but you suddenly jumped to another subject by merely quoting something I'd shared much earlier on this thread when the subject was currently about there being other Christian forums.

That said, we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree.

The Greek word used in Acts is 'eunouchos', which means literally "guardian or keeper of the couch."The term refers to those who were placed in positions of highest trust in royal palaces and wealthy households. Eunuchs served and guarded the women in these households. Because of their intimate access to the royal courts, eunuchs often rose to senior government positions. In this story, the Ethiopian eunuch was Treasurer to the Queen of Ethiopia. (8:27)

Not just anyone was permitted to serve as a eunuch. Given their intimate access to the women of the household, they had to be men who could be trusted not to have affairs with (or force themselves upon) the women — because to do so would cloud the line of succession to the throne and confuse inheritance rights. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the ideal candidate for the position of eunuch would be someone known for his disinterest in women. Although the ancients did not have the same clear concept of heterosexual and homosexual that we do today, people were put together in the same way then as now. There were men then (as now) who had a reputation for being disinterested in women as objects of sexual attraction. They would make the ideal eunuch.

Of course, it was not always possible to find someone like this. In those situations, or in situations where the master wanted to be extra cautious, eunuchs were often castrated, i.e., their testicles were removed so they would be incapable of fathering children. But it would be historically inaccurate to picture eunuchs as a bunch of straight men who were castrated. Ancient literature indicates that various types of eunuchs were recognized. There were "man-made eunuchs," meaning those who had been castrated. But there are also references to so-called "natural" or "born" eunuchs. This category also included males who from childhood seemed incapable of or disinterested in intercourse with women.

It is clear from the ancient literature that eunuchs as a class had a reputation for being attracted sexually to men, rather than women. For example, an ancient Summarian myth about the creation of eunuchs says they "do not satisfy the lap of women." They were specifically created, the myth says, because they can resist the wiles of women. - Inanna's Descent into the Nether World, (Journal of Cuneiform Studies, Vol. 4, # 4, 1950), page 200.

The book of Sirach, found in the Old Testament of the Catholic Bible, says that embracing a girl makes a eunuch groan. (Sirach 30:30) The Roman playwright Juvenal (who lived near the time of Christ) stated, "When a soft eunuch takes to matrimony. . . it is hard not to write a satire."
He was definitely not talking about someone who was castrated.

Lucian, a Greek satirist who lived about one hundred years after Christ, compares a eunuch with a concubine to a deaf man with a flute, a bald man with a comb, and a blind man with a mirror. In other words, a eunuch has as much need for a woman as a fish has for a bicycle.

Again, this is not only 'me' saying this. These are the many entire denominations consisting of thousands of churches, and millions of Christians, who agree with what I share with you concerning this subject.

North America

• Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Anointed Affirming Independent Ministries
• Anthem Phoenix & Family of Churches
• Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists
• Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
• Community of Christ
• Ecclesia Gnostica
• Ecumenical Catholic Church
• Ecumenical Catholic Communion
• Episcopal Church (United States)
• Evangelical Anglican Church In America
• Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
• Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada
• The Evangelical Network
• Friends General Conference
• Friends of Jesus Fellowship
• Global Alliance of Affirming Apostolic Pentecostals
• Inclusive Orthodox Church
• Metropolitan Community Church
• Old Catholic Church
• Presbyterian Church (USA)
• Progressive Christian Alliance
• Reformed Anglican Catholic Church
• Restoration Church of Jesus Christ (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA) — a Latter Day Saint denomination
• United Church of Christ
• United Church of Canada
• Unity Church

Europe

• German Lutheran, reformed and united churches in Evangelical Church in Germany
• German, Swiss, Austrian and Dutch Old Catholic Church
• Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Ecumenical Catholic Communion
• Swiss reformed churches in Swiss Reformed Church
• Protestant Church in the Netherlands
• Church of Denmark
• Church of Norway
• Church of Sweden
• Church of Iceland
• United Protestant Church in Belgium
• Portugal - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• British Quakers
• Wales - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Albania - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Evangelical Lutheran Church in Italy (CELI)
• Poland - Christian United Church in Poland
• United Kingdom - United Ecumenical Catholic Church

Central and South America

• Brazil - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Colombia - Affirming Pentecostal Church International

Australia

• Baptist Affirming
• Uniting Church in Australia
• Anglican
• Metropolitan Community Churches
• Pentecostal Reformed

It's really illuminating that I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, and so don't go on their threads when it's obvious that nothing I say will change their minds, because doing so would be arguing merely for argument's sake, which is a very un-Christian thing to do, but you and certain others seem to be unable to respect people in the same way when they obviously disagree with you and are not going to change their minds. What are you trying to accomplish by coming onto my thread again when it's obvious I'm not going to agree with you? Especially when you just stated a short while ago "O.K. Aaron, it is obvious that you know the answers and are not seeking any further edification from me. The best of wishes in your spiritual journey and may God Bless."

Active

RJ

What I'm talking about is that you said nothing yourself in your last post, but you suddenly jumped to another subject by merely quoting something I'd shared much earlier on this thread when the subject was currently about there being other Christian forums.

That said, we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree.

The Greek word used in Acts is 'eunouchos', which means literally "guardian or keeper of the couch."The term refers to those who were placed in positions of highest trust in royal palaces and wealthy households. Eunuchs served and guarded the women in these households. Because of their intimate access to the royal courts, eunuchs often rose to senior government positions. In this story, the Ethiopian eunuch was Treasurer to the Queen of Ethiopia. (8:27)

Not just anyone was permitted to serve as a eunuch. Given their intimate access to the women of the household, they had to be men who could be trusted not to have affairs with (or force themselves upon) the women — because to do so would cloud the line of succession to the throne and confuse inheritance rights. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the ideal candidate for the position of eunuch would be someone known for his disinterest in women. Although the ancients did not have the same clear concept of heterosexual and homosexual that we do today, people were put together in the same way then as now. There were men then (as now) who had a reputation for being disinterested in women as objects of sexual attraction. They would make the ideal eunuch.

Of course, it was not always possible to find someone like this. In those situations, or in situations where the master wanted to be extra cautious, eunuchs were often castrated, i.e., their testicles were removed so they would be incapable of fathering children. But it would be historically inaccurate to picture eunuchs as a bunch of straight men who were castrated. Ancient literature indicates that various types of eunuchs were recognized. There were "man-made eunuchs," meaning those who had been castrated. But there are also references to so-called "natural" or "born" eunuchs. This category also included males who from childhood seemed incapable of or disinterested in intercourse with women.

It is clear from the ancient literature that eunuchs as a class had a reputation for being attracted sexually to men, rather than women. For example, an ancient Summarian myth about the creation of eunuchs says they "do not satisfy the lap of women." They were specifically created, the myth says, because they can resist the wiles of women. - Inanna's Descent into the Nether World, (Journal of Cuneiform Studies, Vol. 4, # 4, 1950), page 200.

The book of Sirach, found in the Old Testament of the Catholic Bible, says that embracing a girl makes a eunuch groan. (Sirach 30:30) The Roman playwright Juvenal (who lived near the time of Christ) stated, "When a soft eunuch takes to matrimony. . . it is hard not to write a satire."
He was definitely not talking about someone who was castrated.

Lucian, a Greek satirist who lived about one hundred years after Christ, compares a eunuch with a concubine to a deaf man with a flute, a bald man with a comb, and a blind man with a mirror. In other words, a eunuch has as much need for a woman as a fish has for a bicycle.

Again, this is not only 'me' saying this. These are the many entire denominations consisting of thousands of churches, and millions of Christians, who agree with what I share with you concerning this subject.

North America

• Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Anointed Affirming Independent Ministries
• Anthem Phoenix & Family of Churches
• Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists
• Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
• Community of Christ
• Ecclesia Gnostica
• Ecumenical Catholic Church
• Episcopal Church (United States)
• Evangelical Anglican Church In America
• Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
• Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada
• The Evangelical Network
• Friends General Conference
• Friends of Jesus Fellowship
• Global Alliance of Affirming Apostolic Pentecostals
• Inclusive Orthodox Church
• Metropolitan Community Church
• Old Catholic Church
• Presbyterian Church (USA)
• Progressive Christian Alliance
• Reformed Anglican Catholic Church
• Restoration Church of Jesus Christ (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA) — a Latter Day Saint denomination
• United Church of Christ
• United Church of Canada
• Unity Church

Europe

• German Lutheran, reformed and united churches in Evangelical Church in Germany
• German, Swiss, Austrian and Dutch Old Catholic Church
• Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Ecumenical Catholic Communion
• Swiss reformed churches in Swiss Reformed Church
• Protestant Church in the Netherlands
• Church of Denmark
• Church of Norway
• Church of Sweden
• Church of Iceland
• United Protestant Church in Belgium
• Portugal - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• British Quakers
• Wales - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Albania - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Evangelical Lutheran Church in Italy (CELI)
• Poland - Christian United Church in Poland
• United Kingdom - United Ecumenical Catholic Church

Central and South America

• Brazil - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Colombia - Affirming Pentecostal Church International

Australia

• Baptist Affirming
• Uniting Church in Australia
• Anglican
• Metropolitan Community Churches
• Pentecostal Reformed

It's really illuminating that I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, and so don't go on their threads when it's obvious that nothing I say will change their minds, because doing so would be arguing merely for argument's sake, which is a very un-Christian thing to do, but you and certain others seem to be unable to respect people in the same way when they obviously disagree with you and are not going to change their minds. What are you trying to accomplish by coming onto my thread when it's obvious I'm not going to agree with you?
"What are you trying to accomplish by coming onto my thread when it's obvious I'm not going to agree with you?"
What was I thinking, you began a thread on an open forum and I responded, that's how it works!
You got it brother.
You're full of truth.
You have it right.
I am wrong.
God's blessing on you and go in peace.
I am done with this thread.

You got it brother.
You're full of truth.
You have it right.
I am wrong.
God's blessing on you and go in peace.
I am done with this thread.

I truly wish peace and God's blessing upon you as well RJ, even though we have to agree to disagree on this topic.

On the laws, I'm sorry but you're gravely mistaken. The following teachings and judgement are from the New Testament, not the Old:

Luke 16:18

“Any man who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery."

1 Corinthians 6:9

“Do you not know that unrighteous men will not inherit the kingdom of God? Cherish no delusion here. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor any who are guilty of unnatural crime.”

Touche'

It amazes me how some folks like to make one sin (like homosexual acts) way worse than their own unrepentant sin (divorced man with divorce not due to wife's unfaithfulness remarrying).. That seems to be "OK"... even though Jesus clearly stated it is adultery.

It sickens me that some people are welcomed at church and others are shunned. It is like saying "God's grace is sufficient for me but not for you".

Woe to you hypocrites ....

Matthew 23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, 2 “The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat, 3 so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice. 4 They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger.

How about we all drop our stones and trust God by His Holy Spirit to convict the hearts of those with thorns in their flesh and treat every fellow believer as a work in progress.

What happened to the rest of that quote! Let me go back to the previous page and find the rest of it... urrh...

Aaron Lindahl said....
"On the laws, I'm sorry but you're gravely mistaken. The following teachings and judgement are from the New Testament, not the Old:

Luke 16:18

“Any man who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery."

1 Corinthians 6:9

“Do you not know that unrighteous men will not inherit the kingdom of God? Cherish no delusion here. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor any who are guilty of unnatural crime.”

To that I say.. Touche'

then the other bits..

Love God above all and love each other. and get the beams out of your own eyes before inspecting the specks in your brother's eyes.

Administrator
Staff Member
So... what do you think about all the persecution, beatings, imprisonment, and murder being perpetrated under the name of Christ that I just shared with you above. Does it tire you?

Everyone will be judged on Judgment Day. Where's your focus? On this one issue. How about doing something about it? What does sitting here going back and forth about this issue solve? Questioning what others think doesn't solve anything.

Sin is sin whether it be a homosexual lifestyle or persecuting homosexuals in the name of Christ. Doesn't justify anything. Nothing complicated about this. What's your "clear" point here asking us what we think of those overseas persecuting gays and rejecting them in church? It's wrong but it's not us here and talking about it doesn't stop it. Prayer is the better way to address it.

People have to hear the truth, the Gospel of salvation and repentance. Prayer is needed. The Holy Spirit does the change in their hearts not us. We plant the seed and He will make it grow.

Chad, why do ask me questions when you've never answered or addressed even one of mine? Your Christian love towards me consisted of telling me to go away, not 'bother' you anymore, and that it was somehow 'wrong' for me to wish anyone here a Merry Christmas during the Christmas Season merely because it wasn't actually Christmas Day. Is the debate forum only for people who 'have' to agree with you on every topic?

Administrator
Staff Member
Chad, why do ask me questions when you've never answered or addressed even one of mine? Your Christian love towards me consisted of telling me to go away, not 'bother' you anymore, and that it was somehow 'wrong' for me to wish anyone here a Merry Christmas during the Christmas Season merely because it wasn't actually Christmas Day. Is the debate forum only for people who 'have' to agree with you on every topic?

This is not a debate forum. Why do you assume it is? God's Word is truth and not debatable. Secondly, if I wanted you to go away I would have closed your account. I haven't. So, show the community and my helpers (moderators) respect. It's a privilege to be here, not a right.

This is not a debate forum. Why do you assume it is? God's Word is truth and not debatable. Secondly, if I wanted you to go away I would have closed your account. I haven't. So, show the community and my helpers (moderators) respect. It's a privilege to be here, not a right.

Thank you Chad, you truly exemplify the humility, love, and welcoming fellowship of Christ. I wish God's blessing upon you brother.

Active

RJ

Thank you Chad, you truly exemplify the humility, love, and welcoming fellowship of Christ. I wish God's blessing upon you brother.
A wonderful repsonse in the true spirit of Liberal / progressive theology, well done!

A wonderful repsonse in the pure sense of Liberal / progressive theology, well done!
I don't understand this statement. Are you being sarcastic or serious. It is hard to determine tone in type. On another forum I used to participate on they used orange font to convey sarcasm. Maybe we could employ that here?

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't understand this statement. Are you being sarcastic or serious. It is hard to determine tone in type. On another forum I used to participate on they used orange font to convey sarcasm. Maybe we could employ that here?

Don't give me more work :p

Active

RJ

Oh no, I am very serious. Aaron is "tongue in cheek" chastising Chad, he was throwing an insult, like so many Liberal / progressives do......my own personal observation.
Also, considering the "orange font", with the new format, where are th e old edit tools like font color, bold, underline...etc..

Administrator
Staff Member
Oh no, I am very serious. Aaron is "tongue in cheek" chastising Chad, he was throwing an insult, like so many Liberal / progressives do......my own personal observation.
Also, considering the "orange font", with the new format, where are th e old edit tools like font color, bold, underline...etc..

Hi RJ,

By default The rich text editor is enabled and includes all those options. If you're on your desktop click on the rich text editor link right above the post reply button.