Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

No one goes to heaven!

It's amazing to me that God can create the universe and everything in it, but yet some can't see Him controlling the canon of Scripture He wanted us to have.
Now THAT's a Rabbit Trail..... (and a really good one).

But if I may... ???

Maybe He didn't want you to have one (a canon in tables of stone) ...

Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
(2 Corinthians 3:3 KJV)

It's amazing to me that some see God controlling the canon of Scripture and yet being unable to control the message of the Way to Salvation preached by these very same people. As if God wanted to make some book, but not ensuring that the Gospel message was true until TWELVE CENTURIES later.

Might you wish to convert to Catholicism? (Maybe they're right? ... I ask.)

You can reason all you like.
You bet....

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: ...​
(Isaiah 1:18 KJV)

The Scripture says the sea will give up the dead
Yes. Indeed. But it doesn't say dead bodies. The people are dead, the bodies have dissolved. It just seems bizarre that some should mandate that God is going to scavenge around for the exact atoms of those dead people.

Charlie... I'm trying to be REAL here.

Kindly,
Rhema

Now THAT's a Rabbit Trail..... (and a really good one).

But if I may... ???

Maybe He didn't want you to have one (a canon in tables of stone) ...

Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
(2 Corinthians 3:3 KJV)

It's amazing to me that some see God controlling the canon of Scripture and yet being unable to control the message of the Way to Salvation preached by these very same people. As if God wanted to make some book, but not ensuring that the Gospel message was true until TWELVE CENTURIES later.

Might you wish to convert to Catholicism? (Maybe they're right? ... I ask.)

You bet....

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: ...​
(Isaiah 1:18 KJV)

Yes. Indeed. But it doesn't say dead bodies. The people are dead, the bodies have dissolved. It just seems bizarre that some should mandate that God is going to scavenge around for the exact atoms of those dead people.

Charlie... I'm trying to be REAL here.

Kindly,
Rhema

I think you're reckless with the Word of God.

I think you're reckless with the Word of God.
I think you're reckless with Reality.

And that you really don't know what the phrase "Word of God" means.

(And that you don't want to know.)

God bless,
Rhema

(Imagine, God running around like some janitor, picking up individual atoms of a person who disolved in the deeps before He can resurrect someone.)

So a fisherman falls overboard and drowns, to be eaten by fish, that in turn get caught and eaten by other men...

At the Resurrection, to whom do these exact same molecules go?

For in the resurrection they ... are as the angels of God in heaven.​
(Matthew 22:30 KJV)

In that Revelation is not in our canon, there's not much there to convince me. BUT... I think that verse addresses the real concern that Jews (Messianic Christians?) may have had about what happens if there IS no body in a grave somewhere. One can always tell the difference between a Roman cemetery and a Jewish one, because the Romans cremated their remains. So as I read this verse, it says the opposite to me. That one doesn't need to worry about a missing body that dissolved at sea, or think they can somehow "get away with it" because cremation turns the body into ashes, because even the sea and the dead "give them up." The person will still be at this judgment, even if the body is missing. Since the text doesn't say, "And the sea gave up the dead bodies which were in it," I am reluctant to add in words.

Rhema
So if you die at sea you don't go to hell? :rolleyes:
cute. who has a seperate cannon?

I just love the way compassionate Christians weaponize scripture, eh?

Rhema
BTW, my quote was procedural, yours was personal.
lol - So you consider me compassionate. Thank-you for the kind words.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
Nick
\o/
<><

lol - So you consider me compassionate. Thank-you for the kind words.

Nick
\o/
<><
No need to be snide about it.

Most all Christians believe themselves to be compassionate, and yet manage to weaponize scripture against others on a personal basis (as opposed to personal or theological).

Rhema

No need to be snide about it.

Most all Christians believe themselves to be compassionate, and yet manage to weaponize scripture against others on a personal basis (as opposed to personal or theological).

Rhema
You really need to lighten up a bit. I accepted it as it was meant, or did you not mean it?
I have a great joy in the Lord, even if others do not and even when there are tears running down my cheeks.
Alleluia!

Nick
\o/
<><

Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.​
(Romans 12:15 KJV)
When I was laughing and rejoicing for what you had said of me, were you doing likewise?
I may not have cried for you, but I have prayed from the heart for you.

Nick
\o/
<><

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.​
(Ecclesiastes 9:5 KJV)​

Until the Resurrection of course.

I'm not sure the text says what you might think it does. These 144,000 might well be women.

These are they which were not defiled among (μετά - G3326) women; for they are maiden virgins (παρθένος G3933). These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.​
(Revelation 14:4)​

Regardless, though, they are celibate ones. Why would you think that only celibate people could be "true" Christians?

If you are JW... I would encourage you to use The Kingdom Interlinear (LINK)

Kindly,
Rhema
You really need to read what you wrote and think it through as it is a mixed up mess.
And I'm no devilworshipping JW!

Dear RRxlx,
You should read the entirety of scripture as well! :)
We of course start with Jesus, but then I must ask about what is called the Mount of Transfiguration. Then off course what happened when our Lord Jesus Christ died, as recorded in Matthew 27.

One can find verses to support different conditions of existence after death. Personally, I love how Paul writes of it in 2 Corinthians 5:8, or Philippians 1:23.

I must ask, probably again. Are you Jehovah's Witness?

Nick
\o/
<><
Just because I believe the Bible does not make me a devilworshipping JW.
You really need to grow up!

(Matthew 27:52-53 KJV) And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.​

I'm just curious as to how one can get from "slept" to "awake in heaven." One is either awake or sleeping, and there's just nothing in this text to state that saints who arose came out of heaven. It literally states, "came out of the graves." It also states that their bodies came out of the graves, not that these persons were resurrected.

Obviously one would like more detail, especially if such a passage were to inform doctrine. After appearing unto many, did they all die after a certain amount of time? Had they "arisen" into an immortal state and then had to ascend into heaven? Or had they re-assumed mortality to die naturally at some later date? Or did the bodies after having appeared unto many just dissolve or disappear? How would the people at the time of Jesus even know what the "saints" looked like? Nobody would have known what Moses or Joshua or Isaiah or Elijah would have looked like.

Now before you lose it and decide I'm some heretic (in this regard). I actually believe this event literally happened, and I can show you photographs of the actual graves that had been opened from the earthquake.

But whatever happened, Orthodox Jewish theology holds that the bodies of the dead return to dust, and the spirit "goes back to" (is subsumed back into) God from whence the spirit (energy) had come. The dead do not exist in any conscious state until a resurrection. The Pharisees believed in a resurrection, the Sadducees did not. But unless I've missed something (which is possible) there's just no part of any Jewish belief system that thinks the dead are off somewhere awake in heaven meandering around and playing marimba or something.

Now while this cannot be readily seen in modern English translations, Paul literally stated (in Greek) that he suffered "deaths oft," meaning that he often actually died, and then came back to life. They did not leave him for dead, they actually killed him. Paul even had to invent a term, the "out-resurrection," ἐξανάστασις (G1815) in order to distinguish his "resuscitations" from the final resurrection of the dead. Modern translations cannot abide by this, and so play around with the words inventing the phrase "near death."

Now I can readily assure you that I am NOT a JW, but I take the scripture at it's face value. The dead know nothing. Why? (Because they're dead.)

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.​
(2 Corinthians 5:8 KJV)​

Yet..., this scripture doesn't say when. Even Paul uses the term "those who are asleep."

(1 Thessalonians 4:15-16 KJV) For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

So even Paul is of the mind to say "by the word of the Lord" that the dead are Dead, and they don't arise until the trump of God.

For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:​
(Philippians 1:23 KJV)​

I would point out, though, that this scripture also doesn't say when. There's no time frame presented. So what would your conscious experience be upon death? To those here and now, you are asleep, knowing nothing. To you, though, your next thought would be of the out-Resurrection, at the trump. In the future.

As I'm sure you know, the event is recorded in Mark, Matthew, and Luke. And while I believe this event did take place, it's puzzling in its own right as to what actually happened, especially if it is to inform Doctrine.

(Mark 9:4 KJV) And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus.​

How would Peter, James, and John know what Elias and Moses looked like? (Perhaps this was an assumption?) The conversation isn't recorded, though Luke is the only one who gives a topical overview. Why? The text states that the two were talking with Jesus, not the others. (Luke even has them asleep, or groggy.) Did Jesus really need to have a sidebar meeting to consult with Elias and Moses?

I also need to mention that none of accounts state that Elias and Moses came from heaven, or anywhere else for that matter. They just "appeared." We don't know from where, and more importantly, we don't know from when. Interestingly enough, the Greek verb is in the passive voice, so Elias and Moses were not doing the appearing, but rather they "were seen" by Peter, James, and John. (I've always been puzzled why that detail gets left out.)

Personally, I think it's obvious that this was a vision. There was a reason that the leading three disciples were separated and brought there, and there was a reason a voice came out of the cloud. And there was a reason that the three saw Elias and Moses. The vision informed Peter, James, and John that even Elias and Moses were subordinate to Jesus. "This is my beloved Son: hear him." Before this, the three were of a mind (or at least Peter was) to build "co-equal" tabernacles. But now they knew that Jesus was greater than even Elias and Moses. And that was the reason for the vision.

Kindly,
Rhema

(Let me know if there are other passages you may wish to discuss.)
You really are stuck with physical reality and just don't get the fact Jesus and GOD don't work in human terms.

Uh Oh ... Have I offended?

Please, @Rxlx - I hadn't meant to step on anyone's toes or push you out of your own thread.

Only to the extent that I take the verse, "The dead know nothing," at its word. (You are aware that Revelation is not in our canon.)

We do have that one strange passage about Saul using a soothsayer to drum up Samuel, but most Evangelical Churches think that a demon was pretending to be Samuel... (and I've never spent the time to translate that passage).

There are other intriguing passages that are rarely talked about:

(Hebrews 11:35 KJV) Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:​
And we do have Elijah and Jesus raising up the dead, but there's no language to imply "back from heaven."

There are also some posts on the forum that state the dead are NOT in heaven, but in the "paradise" side of Hades (hell). Not sure if you've seen those. To be honest, those surprised me as they also support the thread title.

Rhema
The general dead are in their graves. No one has a soul or spirit that flies off to heaven or paradise or anywhere else.
However the Bible does seem to say that the moment Jesus died some Abraham, Isaac and Jacob did rise and walk about.
There are plenty of dead being miraculously raised from death for us to accept that somehow GOD, Jesus or angels can raise the dead.
But the essential point is that the common Christian dead are to be resurrected to live on earth during the millennium and then eternally on the renewed earth with all those others who find their name in the Book of LIfe on Judgment Day. And it seems some of the sinners of Sodom and Gomorrah will find their names in the Book too - as written at Matthew 10:14!

Uh Oh ... Have I offended?

Please, @Rxlx - I hadn't meant to step on anyone's toes or push you out of your own thread.

Only to the extent that I take the verse, "The dead know nothing," at its word. (You are aware that Revelation is not in our canon.)

We do have that one strange passage about Saul using a soothsayer to drum up Samuel, but most Evangelical Churches think that a demon was pretending to be Samuel... (and I've never spent the time to translate that passage).

There are other intriguing passages that are rarely talked about:

(Hebrews 11:35 KJV) Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:​
And we do have Elijah and Jesus raising up the dead, but there's no language to imply "back from heaven."

There are also some posts on the forum that state the dead are NOT in heaven, but in the "paradise" side of Hades (hell). Not sure if you've seen those. To be honest, those surprised me as they also support the thread title.

Rhema
The witch of endor was startled to find she'd drummed up a real spirit - and that had to be a fallen angel or Satan himself.

I agree the dead are in fact dead and not living somewhere. Thus the use of the word dead. If they were alive in heaven they wouldn't be dead.
It baffles me why so many trained ministers actually say that th dead know nothing but are in heaven but will be resurrected to be judged! Just baffles me how their minds work!

(Matthew 17:12-13 KJV) But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them. Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.
The Great and Terrible Day has not yet arrived.
John the Baptist is probably still in his grave.
The thief on the cross is still in his.

The canon as you know it for the New Testament was established by Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, in 367 AD. The canon of the Church of the (further) East was established by the Apostle Thomas during his lifetime.

The last time books were taken away occurred in the late 1880's. And I've been seeing an alarming trend to put in the Book of Enoch.

But if Jesus came preaching the Gospel (Mark 1:14) then the Gospel is what Jesus preached.

It wasn't clear that you were focusing on the phrase "and will stay there."

And in my first post, I did say, "Until the Resurrection of course."

And @Rxlx hadn't meant "will stay there forever..." since he directly said otherwise"

Overall, though, it's been quite an interesting thread.

Rhema
Enoch should be in as it does confirm Creation.

I'll have to disagree with you. A different body is reincarnation, not resurrection. It's very possible that Christ was veiled to them for whatever reason God may chosen. Jesus came out of the grave with the wounds from the cross. He told Thomas to out his hand in the wound. In 2 Cor 5 we find Paul explaining the incorruptible. He desires to put on immortality over his mortality.

For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.

I would ask, if nit this body what is raised from the dead?
I think the resuurected will get a fairly identical body to what they had in their prime - because Jesus said every hair on our heads is counted - which these days we can take to mean that our individual DNA is known to GOD and can be replicated as we get new bodies as we get out of the grave, the dust, the seas etc.
Logically of course all our DNA traces right back to Adam and Eve and as GOD created it we can assume He'll know what each of us should have.
My sister has gotten deep into ancestor tracing and keeps telling me we are related to people 3-4-500 years ago and she gets texts from people saying they are our really distant relatives.
She is quite convinced now that we are all descended from Adam and Eve

According to Buddhist theology, from whence reincarnation comes, a person is composed of three certain types of energy. At death, these three split apart and (bounce around until they) coalesce again, where each of the parts could come from different dead people. Once joined, these new three then reincarnate into a completely new person, thereby starting the cycle of pain once more. To the Buddhist, reincarnation is a curse.

Of course you might be using some modern(?) definition I don't know about.

And now we're just making things up.... excuses that cannot be supported either in the Lexicon or the cultural beliefs of either the Greek or Jew during the time of Jesus. The text makes no statement about any veiling at all.

(Luke 24:31 KJV) And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.​

The phrase "eyes were opened" is an idiom that means that they finally understood (cf. Eph 1:18). We need to let the idioms mean what they meant.

(Luke 24:35 KJV) And they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known of them in breaking of bread.​

Again, as with Mary, they did not recognize him visually, but by his mannerism.

The physical body is NOT a house that is from heaven. It's a house that comes from the dust of the Earth.

Our soul (Greek - pusche) the you that is you inside your physical body... your sentient consciousness.

The dead return to the dust. How much of your body came from the dust of another who died millennia ago? In the Resurrection, who gets those atoms? And what of those cremated? Is God really thwarted by those who have their ashes spread? That God must go on some snipe hunt to get all those atoms back in order to resuscitate the corpse?

Rhema

And look, do you really think that ugly people want to come back ugly? ;)
Buddhism is purely Satanic.

Back